The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
LOCAL musician that has inspired you?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

birddog
Posted 2008-12-10 4:41 PM (#7877 - in reply to #7852)
Subject: Re: LOCAL musician that has inspired you?

Lets see, I guess back when I was in High School there were several. Some made it & some didn't.
Very early 70's, used to go to lots of concerts at our local ice arena, when they had the ice out of course. Cost was $3.50 to see people like
Ted Nugent, Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder, Dick Wagner & the Frost, Fridged Pink, Iggy & the Stooges, Three Dog Night, Brownsville Station, MC5.
Then of course there was Alice Cooper & Grand Funk Railroad.
Those were the locals, then when I got a drivers license we hit the college towns like Ann Arbor got to see more national stuff & the cost for a concert was $6.50

Wally
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2008-12-10 4:50 PM (#7878 - in reply to #7852)

Carolina Charlie Wiggs was a celebrity in the Tidewater area of Virginia in the late sixties/early seventies. By day, he was a disc jockey at the #1 country music station in the state. When the sun went down, he and his top notch band of outlaws were a major draw in lounges, festivals, and theaters from Norfolk to Richmond. He was also the default warm up band for most of the big names that played the region.

Charlie heard me at the ripe old age of 12 and began to hire me as his opening child/dog act. Throughout my early teens I received quite an education, played big shows and smokey bars, snuck my first taste of whiskey, and generally had the time of my life.

One of my life's most unforgettable characters.

There's a song dedicated to Charlie on my Ning jukebox. A faux radio broadcast clip at the beginning features an actual recording of he and "The Heavy Cowboys" circa 1972.

We were an O band too. Typhoon bass, my Pacemaker and Charlie's Balladeer...
dobro
Posted 2008-12-10 10:42 PM (#7879 - in reply to #7852)

The best guitar team in town: Goran Ivanovic and Andreas Kapsalis. Ivanovic has done some great CDs with Fareed Haque (THE best guy around here) and with his Balkan fusion band "Eastern Blok" Hats off!
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-12-10 10:56 PM (#7880 - in reply to #7852)

Originally posted by MusicMishka:
Funny they go for that much money... He'll build a new one for a couple grand ( . . . and a few years)
Jeff, his waiting list is over 10 years...each guitar is handmade and built according to prewar specs...Wayne doesn't build the guitars for the money...it's the art and love of building the instruments that keeps him going...

He built two for Clapton...one was auctioned for chairity at Christies in '06 for $32 grand and change...
I know. As I said. . . "He'll build you one for a couple grand (. . . and a few years)"
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-12-11 7:27 AM (#7881 - in reply to #7852)

I know that this isn't the intent of this thread, but......
There's someone who inspires a lot of us for entirely different reasons: his name is Brian, and he's a young man who's developmentally-challenged. He cues up the music for the church puppet team, can play keboard some, and he sings with an enthusiasm and purity of spirit that most of us 'non-challenged' people will never experience. His life blesses us in a completely different way, and knowing Brian has been a joy--and a privilege.

--Karen
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)