The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I wish I had . . .

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-12-12 11:49 AM (#7227)
Subject: I wish I had . . .

. . . a very simple, intuitive pedal with XLR and 1/4 outs, ground lift, and four stomp buttons to activate four specific functions . . .

1) Tuner on/off with mute when on with lighted read-out (i.e. Boss, Fender, Korg)
2) Reverb with dial and activation light
3) Chorus with dial and activation light
4) Volume boost with dial and activation light

Sure there are numerous multis on the market that do this, and I have one, but they also do much more and, IMHO, are not easy to use on the fly because there are too many programming variables that I don't use. Wouldn’t it be sweet to have one pedal that has precisely what you need, nothing more, nothing less, that is super easy to use for, say 95% of your requirements?

If there is such a pedal, I don't know about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-12 11:56 AM (#7228 - in reply to #7227)
Subject: Re: I wish I had . . .

Mike Wong has a lot of contacts in China. Drop him a line and he can probably have one built overnight for you.
lanaki
Posted 2008-12-12 11:57 AM (#7229 - in reply to #7227)

suppose you and paul t collaborate, develop and market one?
Losov
Posted 2008-12-12 1:01 PM (#7230 - in reply to #7227)

As you state, there are numerous devices that will do what you want, with the possible exception of the volume boost. I can program my Yamaha DG-Stomp for f/x only: Modulation (chorus), Delay, Reverb, and Tap Tempo (doubles for tuner) Add a downstream volume pedal and there ya are.

As with many excellent devices, it's no longer in production.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-12-12 3:41 PM (#7231 - in reply to #7227)

This is one thing I really really like about my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX.

I rarely really use the Amp modeling, but for finding and choosing effects, it's nice because there are Modulation, Delay, Reverb, ByPass and a tuner in separate sections across the top. Each with it's own adjustment knobs, kind of like if you had four stomp boxes side by side, but they are all in one unit.

While for performance you'd want to program the pedal to turn each effect on and off, and have it go to your "default" setting... if you want "a little more delay" you just reach over and turn up the depth knob on the delay section. Want the chorus to be a little more chorusee... turn up the depth or speed.. want to change the modulation from Chorus to Tremolo, just tap the Tremolo button in the Modulation section. NO menus, not click this and then twist that.

It's really the best of both worlds. You can check out the manual online here and zoom in on the layout on page five.

I wish they sold just the head with the effects, no amp. The Tone Lab is close, but you still have to "select the effect to modify" then pick the knob as opposed to just turning the knob you want to change on the effect you want to change.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-12 3:53 PM (#7232 - in reply to #7227)

I've wanted an AD120VTX for some time, but they also have a rep for being unreliable. Some are good, others not so much.

They did sell just the head, it's the AD120VTH.

Brad, I'm with you. Ad a volume pedal on the side of it, and that's all I need for the acoustic. Right now I used the Roland AC60 for a pre and using EQ, Chorus and Reverb on it, but it's not foot switchable. This is after it runs through the RC20XL.

The electric pedalboard is a monster though.
Beal
Posted 2008-12-12 4:31 PM (#7233 - in reply to #7227)

the new Tak Box has a boost. I just got mine today.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-12 4:40 PM (#7234 - in reply to #7227)

I noticed that too. All the more reason to get back into a Tak with a Cooltube and TriAx. I'm thinking the TAN16C or the Singer Songwriter one like Toby's. Though I am going off what I remember hearing from the 360BG. I may not have the same thoughts on the plugged in sound with one of the ones mentioned above.

I'm leaning towards the SS. I've always owned O's and dreads with an occasional Jumbo 12. I think I'm due for trying a new body size.
FlySig
Posted 2008-12-12 4:41 PM (#7235 - in reply to #7227)

It would be nice, but separate boxes do solve the problem. My collection is growing, with a volume pedal, compressor, and tube distortion box.

For a one box solution, I use a Korg PX4 digital multi-effects box that attaches to the guitar strap (if desired). I can program adjacent pre-sets to whatever I want, and then just push one button to scroll to the next program. Mute is one button that also activates the tuner, though it takes good reading glasses to see the display that close!

The sound quality is ok. Not superb, not pro recording quality, but passable for live performance. Better than some of the stomp box digital multi-effects devices.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-12-12 5:03 PM (#7236 - in reply to #7227)

I do have all these features, but it is via various pedals on a board and I still have to program certain variations on the Zoom. Miles, there are some amps out there that might do this as you suggest, but without a footswitch to control it all (because the amp is just not convenient for me), I might as well stick to the pedal board. Beal, it was the new Tak DI box that got me thinking about this.
stephent28
Posted 2008-12-12 5:06 PM (#7237 - in reply to #7227)

Brad the Vox has an optional foot switch that does all the things Miles was talking about. It has 2 volume type pedals and 6 push buttons and 4 buttons for tuner/tap/up/down for changing parameters.

Come over some time and check it out.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-12-13 12:58 AM (#7238 - in reply to #7227)

Originally posted by Damon67:
I've wanted an AD120VTX for some time
Trades, cash, I'm in the mood. Mine's been solid, and I have the control pedal board also.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-13 1:38 AM (#7239 - in reply to #7227)

How bout a '65 Standel Studio X in NEAR PERFECT condition with original cover and working perfectly? Oh, and the original (in unused condition) footswitch. I'll have to take a picture of that.

Damon67
Posted 2008-12-13 1:45 AM (#7240 - in reply to #7227)

Wow, did I just put up my Standel?

I just finished off a bottle of Don Tiburcio 2004 (Argentina) 32% Malbec, 20% Cab Franc, 20% Petit Verdot, 16% Merlot, and 12% Cab Sauv.

Very BIG blend for sure, with a good alcohol content. I'm thinking of opening the next (as I take the last sip).
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-13 1:46 AM (#7241 - in reply to #7227)

Oh, and nicely priced at $13
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-13 1:56 AM (#7242 - in reply to #7227)

So here you go. I just opened up another bottle. The old standby $9 bottle of Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot. Much more character. This wine always amazes me for $9.

Look at me, I'm talking to myself now aren't I. I probably didn't need to open this bottle... but.. OH WELL! It's open now.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-13 1:59 AM (#7243 - in reply to #7227)

Speaking of which, Miles did you guys drink that last bottle of Latitude 46 I left there? Mmmmm... That stuff was yummy. Don't know if you had any, but Lisa liked it.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-12-13 2:59 AM (#7244 - in reply to #7227)

I think it's gone. I unfortunately have a limited selection of wines I can drink, and they are all pretty much white.

red wine + Miles + 2 minutes = thud on floor. Can drink Vodka by the glass, beer by the yard, but about two mouthfuls of red wine and I'm out. They tell me it's the sulfites, but I've been doing some reading and it's something other than that, just don't know what.

The couple of sips I can remember were actually pretty good. I do try a sip every now and then, result is always the same. I've never been hit with a tranquilizer dart, but I suspect it feels about the same.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-13 4:58 AM (#7245 - in reply to #7227)

Originally posted by Damon67:
I just opened up another bottle. This wine always amazes me for $9.
Y'know, MadDog 20/20 is only about $4 a bottle...

18% Alcohol in a Nicely shaped bottle that is easy to hide under your trench-coat.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-12-13 12:00 PM (#7246 - in reply to #7227)

Some people, like my wife, are allergic to the sulfites in reds. That's her excuse anyway, but it's based on old data and probably poor wine.
We like the whites anyway. Brought back a couple cases from Oregon. Most anything from Shaeffer or Montinore over by dvd in Forest Grove suits our tastes.
FlySig
Posted 2008-12-13 12:04 PM (#7247 - in reply to #7227)

Doesn't the waiver prohibit posting while intoxicated?
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-13 1:48 PM (#7248 - in reply to #7227)

It should.

I didn't get too far into that second bottle before passing out.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-16 4:51 AM (#7249 - in reply to #7227)

Brad, what about this one? Seems to be all you're asking for.

TC Electronic G-Natural Acoustic Guitar Processor Pedal

Dammit, now I gotta figure out how to get me one of these. This and the Vox AD120VT's footboard for the electric would be perfect!
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-16 6:59 AM (#7250 - in reply to #7227)

The footboard for my Line6 has got it all. Tuner, reverb, effect (pick from 30+ digital), delay, boost, volume pedal, wah pedal, and the ability to cycle through 36 different presets. It's a real nice front end to the 100 watt 2x12. It works with the Pod, too, I think
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-12-16 9:29 AM (#7251 - in reply to #7227)

I'm thinking less complicated, like a pedal that looks like a four-button amp footswitch strip, with an activation light above three of the stomp buttons and a dial above each of the lights, and a tuner gauge above the fourth button with auto-mute when activated. From right to left to right, the buttons would control the tuner, reverb, chorus, and then the volume boost. Maybe I'll see the amp doctor about making me something.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)