The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Problem Solved

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

John B
Posted 2005-05-08 8:43 AM (#151570)
Subject: Problem Solved

As some of you may remember, I had been having this weird problem with my Legend 12 String. I was getting a weird sound which was sort of like a distorted "bassy" sound. It would come and go, and would occur when it was plugged in or not. Many of you gave me some great suggestions including a possible loose brace or structural problem.

Well, I figured it out last week purely by accident. It turns out that the pre-amp does not fit tightly into the guitar. It snaps in just fine, but you can move it around a little. The weird sound was coming from the tiny gap between the body of the guitar and the pre-amp. A piece of electrical tape around the the preamp created a more snug fit and the problem is solved.

I thought that I would post this just in case someone has a similar problem. This problem drove me nuts for months and caused me not to play the guitar because the noise was so distracting. I'm happy that I can get back to playing the guitar again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
schroeder
Posted 2005-05-08 9:45 AM (#151571 - in reply to #151570)
Subject: Re: Problem Solved

Glad it's cured. :)
E.Sherman
Posted 2005-05-08 2:25 PM (#151572 - in reply to #151570)

I have that same problem...but it's with my strat. :(
MWoody
Posted 2005-05-08 2:46 PM (#151573 - in reply to #151570)

"If they can't find you handsome, they should find you handy".

Red Green
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-05-08 6:57 PM (#151574 - in reply to #151570)

Duct Tape for Strats. :D
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-05-11 6:44 PM (#151575 - in reply to #151570)

Don't blame it on the O's. The electronics on mine are great, althought the Matrix doesn't have any. The only problem I have had is that the automatic tuner decides to turn itself on in the middle of the night and wear down the battery. I just take the battery out when I'm done playing.
My daughter's Ibanez, however, came from Musician's Friend with a staple throught the body. She sent that one back and the new one has an electronics problem. It sounds like it's in a wind tunnel. She has a couple months left on the one year warranty, but has to go through the hassle of sending it back each time.
She lives in a small town with no dealer. I noticed that the new model has different electronics.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-05-11 6:47 PM (#151576 - in reply to #151570)

You sure seem to be having more than your share of problems. Have you considered sending it to back to the mothership? I am having some work done there now. Those guys are top drawer and nobody knows more about your guitar.
John B
Posted 2005-05-11 6:59 PM (#151577 - in reply to #151570)

Well, I went back to the drawing board and I think I solved it for good this time. I took out the pre-amp and looking down into the hole, I noticed that there are two screws that hold the housing in place. I found that both of them were very loose and tightened them up. That seems to have done the trick. I think that the housing was vibrating against the body and causing the noise.

I don't really blame the O's. I even deleted my ranting post. It's just so frustrating because I really love these guitars other than these silly problems. I also have limited time to rehearse and messing with this stuff has taken away from my practice time. I hope that this puts an end to it. I have a gig a week from Friday and I plan on bringing my Legend LX and the "enchanted" 12 string. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
cliff
Posted 2005-05-12 7:47 AM (#151578 - in reply to #151570)

John;
We're at the Barnyard the Friday before you (shit, that's tomorrow!!). We'll throw some "plugs" out for you & Kim . . . .
John B
Posted 2005-05-12 8:13 AM (#151579 - in reply to #151570)

Thanks, I appreciate it. If you could try to suck a little bit too, that would be a help. It will make us look better. ;)

I'm going to try to swing by and say hello.
cliff
Posted 2005-05-12 8:23 AM (#151580 - in reply to #151570)

". . If you could try to suck a little bit too, that would be a help . .
SHUT UP, Witko!!! (just saving time . . ) ;)

I'll turn up the "suck" control on the P.A. John, but for some reason they keep having us back . . .

(There's no accounting for taste, I guess.)
John B
Posted 2005-05-12 8:32 AM (#151581 - in reply to #151570)

Well for what it's worth, I'm a big fan. Even if you guys abuse the crap out of me when I come to see ya. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)