The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Old Ovation Sighting

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Bailey
Posted 2005-05-28 2:22 AM (#149491)
Subject: Old Ovation Sighting

I taped a three hour Merle Haggard "For the Record " show where he played almost every song he ever wrote some time ago.

In his band "The Strangers", was a singer and rythym guitar player, Freddy Powers, that played a very nice looking Ovation, either an Elite or an Adamas. He did the Willy Nelson vocals on "Pancho and Lefty" introduced by Willy who couldn't be there.

I played it a few nights ago and thought I ought to mention the Ovation, as it was played throughout the show.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
westal5
Posted 2005-05-28 4:52 PM (#149492 - in reply to #149491)
Subject: Re: Old Ovation Sighting

Another UFO (Unidentified Fantastic Ovation) sighting! The world will one have to accept the fact that the round back does exist as a power for good in the galaxy!
scott lamperd
Posted 2005-05-31 7:06 PM (#149493 - in reply to #149491)

I am on the road quite a bit with my music. Every
once in a while I spot and ovation player with a really nice vintage piece. I recorded my last two CD's with a 1988 Elite. Great sound!
Bailey
Posted 2005-06-05 1:52 AM (#149494 - in reply to #149491)

The really sad part is that his lead player, "Red" Nichols (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) has died since the show was taped.

Here is some trivia that doesn't have much to do with Ovations but is interesting to pickers. Merle was on some program and he showed the host his beautiful custom Tele with a completely neck through body construction, and said that only two were made, "Red" had the other one and I am sure that is what was played on that show. (I think "Red" could play anything and sound great, he would have been great with a Viper if he had any sense). He's gone and Merle faces the same emptiness as his buddy, Buck Owens, when he lost Don.
stephent28
Posted 2005-06-05 10:12 AM (#149495 - in reply to #149491)

Bailey,
I find your trivia and history of artists and music in general always fascinating.

Are you in the music business or just very deep into a wonderful hobby?
TRboy
Posted 2005-06-05 11:23 AM (#149496 - in reply to #149491)

Bailey, I think you have Merle's two lead guitar players mixed up. I don't know what year the program you taped was made but ROY Nichols was Merle's "Strangers" lead man from '65 to around '86 (retiring because of a stroke) and is the guy responsible for Merle's "sound" on all his big hits! Roy died 3 July 2001 of a heart attack. REDD Volkaert is a hot Tele picker who joined Merle's band in '97 thru '02...so depending on when the show originally aired it may be Redd playing the old hits that Roy(and Merle!!) made famous!!
Bailey
Posted 2005-06-07 2:27 AM (#149497 - in reply to #149491)

Trboy

I think you are correct, it was Red Voelkaert on the TV program. I have old CDs with ROY Nichols on guitar.

History was never my best subject in High school, both those pickers are great in my estimation. I think Redd Voelkaert had the custom guitar as you pointed out Roy Nichols was no longer playing.

Stephen

I started playing with my younger brother and friends in 1949,Hank Snow and Hank Williams and Bill Monroe.

My brother, now deceased, became a good bluegrass and country fiddle player in Ohio and that area.

I moved to California with 3 kids in 1962, and had to give up music for groceries and rent. After I got established with groceries and a roof over my head, I, and a music store friend, formed the Poway Bluegrass club and various bands, mostly bluegrass and country rock that jammed and gigged in the San Diego area. As my two sons grew up they played with me and became part of our band. In 1979 I left California for New Mexico with one of my sons, the other stayed in CA with his wife and pursued his musical tastes. My son Charlie and I played country rock and bluegrass here in Las Cruces for a few years, and I quit music and did construction to get rent and groceries here for a while. I rejoined Charlie's bluegrass band as a mandolin player when I got close to retirement and gave it up a year or so ago when I had other problems. Other than that, my life has been pretty normal, but I seem to be surrounded by vintage guitars, vintage amps, mandolins, and thousands of Albums, CDs, videotapes, DVDs, etc. with songs and artists that I liked at various times in my life and had to learn their songs.

My brother was IN the business and he died, I skirted around the edges and I'm still here.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)