The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas II Neck Separated

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Van Mancha
Posted 2005-06-12 8:23 AM (#147937)
Subject: Adamas II Neck Separated

G'day Ovation Fan Club

I'm proud to say that I am a brand new owner of an Adamas II 1581-2 Guitar. I have owned a Japanese model Takamine for about 15 years and bumped into the Adamas in a pawn brokers, it literally left my Tak for dead, so I knocked him down to $900 and took my new baby home.

I think that was a good price? but I'm not too worried regardless, as the sound and the playability (cutaway and action a good 5mm lower than my Tak) is unbelievable.

The only concern that I have is that the neck has separated from the body by about 4-5mm. The top of the guitar and the neck are both perfectly straight, there are no cracks visible anywhere and the neck seems to be connected securely to the body. Even though there was no buzzing the action was incredibly low so I assumed an over zealous truss rod adjustment was the culprit.

I took it to a local music shop to get new set of strings, a fret dress and a truss rod adjustment (I thought the adjustment would close the gap). It came back buzzing on all strings from the 5th-12th frets and even though the gap has closed by about 1mm I'm obviously p#*$ed that the sound quality is shot for the time being.

The shop has said that they would obviously sort the prob out for free but even though their reputation is good I'm a little concerned to entrust it after their first effort. Aussies don't seem to know a hell of a lot about Ovations
other than they have a great sound.

Is this a standard prob with the bolt on neck, or have I bought a problem? I'm still hoping it's still just a case of correct truss rod adjustment to get things in order.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-06-12 8:49 AM (#147938 - in reply to #147937)
Subject: Re: Adamas II Neck Separated

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club. It's the right place to get answers.

When you say the neck and the body, are you refering to the fretboard and the top of the guitar or the heal of the neck and the body of the guitar? The former is natural and the way the guitar is built (floating fingerboard), the later is not natural and indicates a problem.
Beal
Posted 2005-06-12 9:16 AM (#147939 - in reply to #147937)

what he said.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-06-12 12:18 PM (#147940 - in reply to #147937)

what he said he said.
stephent28
Posted 2005-06-12 12:55 PM (#147941 - in reply to #147937)

Won't you come home Boney "Bongo Boy" Baily
Won't you come home....
Your FD14 is all aloneeeee
MWoody
Posted 2005-06-12 1:07 PM (#147942 - in reply to #147937)

Welcome mate.

Take a look throught the gallery. There are a couple of fretboard close ups in there.

My guess is that you saw the floating Fret board which has a gap. On the O Home page or in the Owner's Manual there are dimensions (in inches). Check that and adjust yourneck tension and Saddle height to return it to sweet!
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-06-12 7:53 PM (#147943 - in reply to #147937)

What MWoody said and welcome. How come every pawn shop I go in has nothing but crap. :confused:

In the mean time, put a couple of shrimp on the barby and play on. :D
Van Mancha
Posted 2005-06-12 8:59 PM (#147944 - in reply to #147937)

Thanks

Great to belong to a club that cares about it's own, couldn't believe how many replies I received overnight.

After viewing the gallery pics I now know it is just the floating fretboard as suggested by you all.

Thanks again for relieving the worry can't wait to get the truss rod set and spend some quality hours on her.

Cheers

Van Mancha
MWoody
Posted 2005-06-12 10:35 PM (#147945 - in reply to #147937)

We stayed up all day just for you Mate!

While your up, what sort of guitar music is going on down under these days?

In the States we're still recycling the classic hits of the old and wrinkled. And singing in church. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)