The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My "post" tour guitar 'trek'...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Strummin12
Posted 2005-06-20 1:52 PM (#146902)
Subject: My "post" tour guitar 'trek'...

Long story, I'll try to keep short.

•Reluctantly ended up purchasing an '05 Collectors the afternoon of my June 4th gig on a whim. Didn't have time to change the strings, played the gig with it as is, felt VERY uninspired by the guitar. Sounded dead, thin, and frankly, aweful.

•Hung out (with new 'bro' and fellow OFCer) John B. a week later at his place and changed the strings. Compared the '05 to a few of his Ovation guitars...still felt very uneasy about the new guitar's sound. Still dead, weak, and frankly, aweful. John was kind, trying to be objective. My heart wasn't sold, and I was thinking the guitar had to go back. Couldn't understand it, considering all the great things I've heard about this guitar from board members.

•Brought it to the tour. Paul T. played it...yet another set of 'pro' ears, and reaffirmed that this guitar sounds frankly, aweful. I played other '05's at the tour, which sounded gorgeous.

•After a great time at breakfast with Cliff and Jeanette the morning after the tour, left for home. On the way, called every Sam Ash in Jersey looking for another '05 in stock to exchange mine with. Found one in Edison. Picked up John B., who graciously accompanied me after my long trek home from CT. (did ya all love the traffic on 95?). We flew to Edison at lightning speed (no traffic).

•Sure enough, tried the other one at Sam Ash, and the angels of heaven gleefully sang once again. Made the switch instantly, and flew home. (Poor salesman nearly cried at the sudden lack of comission on the deal).

I AM IN ECSTASY over this guitar! THIS very particular one is among the best Ovations I have EVER heard! And I just tried more incredible Ovations in the last 3 days than many do in a lifetime. I am one very effing happy dude. Michele keeps liking the sound of it to James Taylor's guitar. That's frankly, fine by me!

Dunno what was up with the other one, but it was frankly, aweful (did I mention that?). But the new one gets a MASSIVE seal of approval. Perhaps someone else will still love the one I returned and it won't feel so dejected.

A blissful ending to a fantastic OFC tour trek!

Johnny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LeStrange1
Posted 2005-06-20 2:09 PM (#146903 - in reply to #146902)
Subject: Re: My "post" tour guitar 'trek'...

What would make that guitar sound so bad? I'm just as curious. :confused:
Strummin12
Posted 2005-06-20 2:32 PM (#146904 - in reply to #146902)

Dunno. It looked perfect in every way. Paul Templeman couldn't find a reason either. The "angle" at which the strings touch the bridge was correct for ideal sound (the original topic of the discussion with Paul before I brought this guitar to him to play).

The dead sound was a mystery. Perhaps something particular with the wood of THAT specific guitar. I guess every once in a while all the specific materials used on a paticular guitar put together just creates a lemon. It was the only one I've heard like that. This IS obviously a great model Ovation.

Johnny
MWoody
Posted 2005-06-21 9:08 AM (#146905 - in reply to #146902)

I have had the opportunity to fondle 2 different 05 Collectors in the Tacoma area. I thought they were every bit as good as my LX but didn't "speak" to me. You just have to hear them and feel them. I purchased an Applause as a gift this Christmas and I was amazed at how it felt and sounded. Small voices no less!

If you ever figure it all out, let me know!
John B
Posted 2005-06-22 8:18 AM (#146906 - in reply to #146902)

I was very happy to see Johnny so happy with the guitar, but it was a little embarrasing when he started crying and hugging the sales guy. :D

I have to be honest, the original guitar didn't blow me away either, but I was more "on the fence" about it than Johnny was. Once I heard the new one in the store I understood where he was coming from. The new one sounded awesome! I got a chance to play it for about 15 minutes while Johnny worked out the details of the exchange and I fell in love with it. Hopefully, Johnny will let me have some visitation rights. ;)

It was a pretty funny exchange between Johnny and the salesperson. It went something like this:

Johnny: Hey bro, I called about the Ovation.

Salesman: Cool, I have it in the back.

Johnny: Wow, this guitar sounds awesome (salesman is getting excited). Yeah, this is more like it. I'll take it! (salesman is now spending his comission check in his mind).

Salesman: Cool man, how will you be paying for that?

Johnny: Well actually, I have this other guitar that sounds like crap to exchange. I have it right out in the car. Is that OK?

Salesman: Sure,Umm, no problem (as Johnny walks to his car to get the guitar to exchange).

Johnny: Thanks man, be well!

Salesman: Yeah Thanks

Salesman (after we leave) #@%@*! That's my guess anyway.

It was a real Kodak moment!
Slipkid
Posted 2005-06-22 8:29 AM (#146907 - in reply to #146902)

From your experience, I bet the engineers at Ovation would like to get their hands on that "sour" guitar to experiment on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)