The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : < 1 23456 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Stay clear of any old Ovation???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

matics
Posted 2005-07-19 12:00 PM (#143428)
Subject: Stay clear of any old Ovation???

I just bought a 1995 L718 Elite and so far I'm really loving it. I'm new to guitar and have been really enjoying the articles at http://www.guitarnoise.com. I've been doing some of the lessons as well as beginning to learn some of the beginner songs. However, today, I read an article on that site about buying a used guitar in which they say to stay clear of used Ovations, with a few exceptions (not listing what those are). The author states that the plastic doesn't age as well as wood??? Anyone care to comment? Here is the link to the article: How to buy a used acoustic guitar
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2005-07-19 12:15 PM (#143429 - in reply to #143428)
Subject: Re: Stay clear of any old Ovation???

". . Anyone care to comment? . ."

How about:

"Nick Torres is a fucking idiot" ??

Yes, you may quote me . . .
Joey Joe
Posted 2005-07-19 12:22 PM (#143430 - in reply to #143428)

Hmmm...I wonder if 'ol Nick ever PLAYED an old Ovation - or any Ovation for that matter. If the '79 Legend I just purchased from Noel is a typical "old" Ovation, this dude is way off base in his assessment.
MrDano
Posted 2005-07-19 12:24 PM (#143431 - in reply to #143428)

That's a good one Cliff!!
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-19 12:30 PM (#143432 - in reply to #143428)

Cliff is right. It happens.

On the other hand, I suggest we tell anyone that can't figure it out to not buy any used Ovations. This should bring the prices down for those of us that know better because we actually picked them up and played them.

If I had a Reasons not to buy an Ovation list it would go like this:

- Nothing with the aluminum neck. Non repairable.
- Watch for unqualified repairs.
- Older finish subject to finish cracks if mistreated.
- Solidbody's with modifications may be reassembled into more usable intruments.
- buying one is like eating a potato chip. It can only lead to more.
Northcountry
Posted 2005-07-19 12:39 PM (#143433 - in reply to #143428)

Well freekin put Cliff!
And I agree!

I personally have only seen a few minor problems with the ovation guitars I have owned or used. but I am far from an expert.... from what I have seen, it is the tops can split near the bridge with age, often this is just a finish crack.

But the important factor that is unknown and would ultimatly determine the durability of any guitar is; just how well the guitar was cared for or stored during it's life? Humidity can raise hell with wood and if strings were left on for a few years at full tension while stored this can cause undo stress also. Perhaps some musician left his Ovation out in the sun for several hours to bake before finding it "not" in it's case? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Any Guitar can develope cracks in the thin wood top, not just Ovations, and it stands to reason this is the weakest part of a guitar and the most critical for good sound. So as for the Plastic having problems??? Never seen it myself? Not buying a dimes worth of this guy's crap! Don't think this guy has a God*am clue what he is talking about. Unless he is trying to get the prices down on the older Ovations so he can buy some? Now this makes sense to me.

Randy
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-19 12:40 PM (#143434 - in reply to #143428)

I read the article. Cliff's right.
ChatMan
Posted 2005-07-19 12:45 PM (#143435 - in reply to #143428)

Problem with free advice is you are likely to get what you pay for...

That's my opinion...
you can have it...

...for free :eek:
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-07-19 12:48 PM (#143436 - in reply to #143428)

Generally a good article but I disagree with the advice about old Ovations. Plastic may not age like wood but it also doesn't warp like wood. I have four O's, the oldest is an '81 and the newest is an '87. All are USA made with solid spruce tops that have aged wonderfully, partcularly the Custom Legend 1619 and Elite 1537.

My Custom Legend has a big crack going from the bottom of the bridge to the botton of the guitar. I "fixed" it with super-glue. Despite that, the guitar plays and sounds incredible; better than most of the new Ovations, Taylors, Martins and Tak's, that I've tried out at the local GC. I recently did a gig with it at a U.S. Veterans Hospital and the electronics worked flawlessly though my Crate CA125D patched into the PA.

IMHO the BEST value in guitars today is a used USA Ovation. I don't know why but the prices (on eBay) today are less than they were about a year ago. Perhaps articles like this one have had an effect. My personal preference is any deep bowl Legend or Elite. There are lots of them for sale on virtually any given day.

I also disagree with the advice to stay away from 12 strings. Maybe that's true with an all wood model, but not with an Ovation. I have a 20 year old 1755 Custom Balladeer that has perfect low action and still has a shim under the saddle.

The Ovations that were made in the 80's are incredible values. The spruce tops have aged and they sound better today than when they were new. Most are in great condition with rock stable necks. Most solid all wood guitars that are 20+ years old will require a neck re-set.

Don't let an article like this dissuade you from getting an older Ovation.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2005-07-19 12:57 PM (#143437 - in reply to #143428)

Cliff is right on! :)
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-07-19 1:19 PM (#143438 - in reply to #143428)

98% of what is in that article is good advice.

I wonder if the "exceptions" to staying clear of older Ovations is limited to the refurbished models.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-19 1:47 PM (#143439 - in reply to #143428)

My newest Ovation is a 1999. The oldest may be the 1976 Matrix. The 12 string Applause is probably about the same vintage. None of them have problems with the bowls. That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of.
I agree with MWoody's comment about the aluminum necks. The replaceable fretboard was an idea that never caught on. Therefore, if you have fretwear, you are out of luck. Mine, however, shows no fretwear after 30 years of moderate playing. I've seen a lot of Ovations and other guitars with cracked tops, but I've never seen one where the plastic back showed age.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-19 1:56 PM (#143440 - in reply to #143428)

I just read the whole article. Maybe what he is saying is that he likes old guitars because the wood has aged and Ovations don't have as much wood. "Plastic doesn't age as well as wood." Anyway, the theory is that the top, the soundboard is where you get the sound and the wood in soundboards should age the same under similar conditions.
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-07-19 2:29 PM (#143441 - in reply to #143428)

re: "Any old Ovation, but there are exceptions. In general plastic doesn't age as well as wood."

haven't seen any "plastic tops and necks in the ones I have...as far as the tops, they just get better with age (and playing.) at least with an Ovation, we don't have the damage to the sides and back inherent with the older "wood boxes."

re: "Any old used twelve string. New used maybe, but the string tension over time is a force to be reckoned with."

an Ovation 12-str is not "any old..." it is the quality of an Ovation that makes it a great 12-string, older the better.
Beal
Posted 2005-07-19 2:41 PM (#143442 - in reply to #143428)

Cliff, he's a wanking spoo sucking fucking idiot. There, now that's a quote.
WeaserP
Posted 2005-07-19 2:46 PM (#143443 - in reply to #143428)

Come on now, k2. Don't beat around the bush. If you've got something on your mind, just say it, man. You're amongst friends - say anything you feel the need to say just don't sugarcoat it! ;)
cliff
Posted 2005-07-19 2:47 PM (#143444 - in reply to #143428)

". . Cliff, he's a wanking spoo sucking fucking idiot. There, now that's a quote . ."

Yeah, but it's tough to fit it all on the marquee . . . ;)
schroeder
Posted 2005-07-19 3:44 PM (#143445 - in reply to #143428)

Perhaps W2 can sky-write it.....
an4340
Posted 2005-07-19 3:49 PM (#143446 - in reply to #143428)

Could be he had one bad experience and is extrapolating? Without more though, he doesn't look like he knows what he's talking about. The people on this board are more expert than he is. Especially about guitars and I'm not boasting. Just being factual.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-07-19 4:29 PM (#143447 - in reply to #143428)

I just e-mailed Mr. Torres a friendly invitation to spend some time here at the OFC.
I signed it, "your friend, Cliff" (just kidding).
Anyway...if he shows up be sure to mind your manners and refer to him as Mister Fu*$*ing Idiot. ;)
alpep
Posted 2005-07-19 4:53 PM (#143448 - in reply to #143428)

send me all your old adamas guitars torres says to stay away!!!!!!!!1
BluesSailor
Posted 2005-07-19 7:25 PM (#143449 - in reply to #143428)

Just received my 22 year old 1537 from T28 this afternoon. F*cking Awesome!

BluesSailor
Beal
Posted 2005-07-19 7:32 PM (#143450 - in reply to #143428)

Cliff, for the marquis we can just put "Fudiot"
richardd
Posted 2005-07-19 8:06 PM (#143451 - in reply to #143428)

"Stay clear of any old Ovation"

It's always stupid to make sweeping statements and this one is particularly stupid.
GN-Nick
Posted 2005-07-19 9:35 PM (#143452 - in reply to #143428)

Well I was invited so here I am.

Did you actually read the article? I know at least one or two of you did, but I have my doubts about the rest.

Because I had something negative to say about old Ovations you write the whole thing off and call me a fucking idiot?

Did you read what I said? Did you pay attention to the context? You can't even quote me right.

I'm writing this to a broad audience making necessarily broad generalizations in some cases. I'm sure there is a fine broom handle fender out there too.

Here is what I wrote:

"Probably should steer clear: Any old Ovation, but there are exceptions. In general plastic doesn't age as well as wood. I do love the new ones though. If you find a refurb, that might be a great deal."

Did I say Ovations suck? No.
Did I say I love the new ones? Yes.
Did I say avoid at all costs? No.
Did I suggest there are exceptions to what I was about to say? Yes.

What I have seen in older Ovations is this, and no this isn't true of all Ovations:

1. There are lyrachord bowl to front issues that don't usually happen in all wood guitars.
2. To steal from an earlier post, the aluminum necks on the few Ovations that have them are a bear to fix.
3. I've seen a slightly higher percentage of the Ovation line in need of a neck reset earlier than all wood guitars.
4. I've seen more bridge issues with the early Ovations than I have in comparable all wood guitars.

Is this some major condemnation of the entire Kaman line? No. It's an article for people perhaps considering a used guitar and I'm just trying to tell them to be wary.

Am I the all knowing expert of guitar knowledge? No freaking way. Am I entitled to my own opinion based on my own experiences? Of course.

You want to call me an idiot for writing my observances? Be my guest.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)