The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Setup on a 1979 ? Viper Solid Body

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Archie
Posted 2005-07-25 10:57 AM (#142870)
Subject: Setup on a 1979 ? Viper Solid Body

Hi everyone. I've just bought a solid body Viper in sunburst privately here in the UK. I believe that it may be from 1979 (Serial No.E8859). Could anyone confirm that,please? I'm really pleased with it. Everything's original and after being cleaned up it is in great condition. I'm impressed with the range of sounds and the power of the pickups. Although the action's OK, it starts to climb from about the seventh fret. It isn't excessively high, but I'd like to have it a little more uniform along the entire length of the neck if possible.
When I restrung the guitar (with 9's), I tried adjusting the bridge using the two adjusting screws. It improved slightly, but I'm sure that it could be better. I'm no guitar tech., so I'll be taking the guitar into my local store to be set up (action,intonation etc.).
The guitar tech. there may never have handled one of these guitars before, so I'm wondering if there are any Viper owners out there who may be able to offer tips as to what adjustments to make to the guitar in order to achieve a consistent medium to low action along the length of the neck. Any advice from you guys which I could pass on to the tech. would be greatly appreciated.
Also, the guitar's original case is pretty beat up. Are replacements available nowadays? If so, could anyone please let me know the reference number? Thanks for looking at this post.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-25 11:16 AM (#142871 - in reply to #142870)
Subject: Re: Setup on a 1979 ? Viper Solid Body

Taking it to your local luthier is the best thing. I would assume they adjust like other guitars, but only your tech will know this for sure.

I had my local tech adjust my Ovation Deacon when I received it. It only required a minor neck adjustment for bow as it to was just a little out. Plays wonderfully now. :)
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-25 11:20 AM (#142872 - in reply to #142870)

Welcome and congratulations. Your Tech should be able to figure the right amount of bow in the neck along with the bridge height. You will end up with a very fast and level neck.

I wish they made replacement cases like the originals! You will end up finding an aftermarket.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-07-25 11:38 AM (#142873 - in reply to #142870)

Here's a Viper case on eBay that looks like in in decent shape:

Viper Case

Your guitar tech should be able to dial in the action you like. Mine has very low action with no buzzes anywhere.
Archie
Posted 2005-07-25 11:48 AM (#142874 - in reply to #142870)

Thanks for your responses. I'm sure my local guy will nail it. These guitars look like they were made to be maintained with a minimum of fuss. The case on Ebay is certainly in better condition than mine, but it'll cost eighty dollars to ship to the UK. I'll look out for one coming up in Europe. Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)