The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
paint and sound?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-07-29 8:27 PM (#142353)
Subject: paint and sound?

I’ve played some Balladeer LXs that were painted black and they didn’t sound that good, but I played a natural finish Balladeer LX today (I believe they were both standard balladeer LXs), anyway, the natural finish on sounded nice.

Does paint hurt sound vs natural finsh?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-07-29 8:45 PM (#142354 - in reply to #142353)
Subject: Re: paint and sound?

I believe that it shouldn't be the case. After I purchased my balladeer, I tried the LX's, and they were fantastic! While I never tried the black, I did tried playing with both the natural and cherry burst finish. Honestly, other than the cherry burst's action being higher than the natural, there wasn't any difference in the quality of sound. At that time, I wished that I waited a little while longer, and snagged the LX instead of the 1861. Nevertheless, my current balladeer is also awesome and I'm quite happy with it. If I were to choose between the two, if the one with natural finish seems to sound better than the black, I'd pick the one with the better sound.

Good luck ...

Peace,
Gil
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-29 9:30 PM (#142355 - in reply to #142353)

While black finish may contain more "solids" than a clear "bonding medium" the actual mass is so small I don't think it matters.

Having recently owned (sold to friend) an Elite T in black and a CL 12 in black I feel qualified to say it has no bearing.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-30 4:21 AM (#142356 - in reply to #142353)

The difference is sound will be so small that it gets lost in the grand scheme of things. The length of your ear hair will have a bigger effect. Dave
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-30 1:09 PM (#142357 - in reply to #142353)

I would agree that color should not have an effect on sound, but it is interesting that the best-sounding Balladeer LX I've played is a natural-top one.....I heard no difference between black and cherry cherry red. And all of these sound very good.

Roger
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-30 3:00 PM (#142358 - in reply to #142353)

Some people say red porsches are faster than silver or black ones. Technically possible I guess. Dave
worshipleader
Posted 2005-07-30 4:29 PM (#142359 - in reply to #142353)

Yup. I grew up in Virginia and us rednecks alway knew that red pigment has a MUCH lower coefficient of drag than black or silver. THAT is why NASA paints the shuttle the bright shade of red - really slippery getting off the pad. And the most popular NASCAR race car color is blue :D

Or maybe people think that red porsches are faster because they attract more law enforcement attention ...
Beal
Posted 2005-07-30 4:38 PM (#142360 - in reply to #142353)

I always thought that black was a lower drag coefficient. That's why Dale's car was black.

color will make it faster, won't make it sound any different.
Nils
Posted 2005-07-31 2:01 AM (#142361 - in reply to #142353)

Originally posted by cwk2:
I always thought that black was a lower drag coefficient. That's why Dale's car was black.

color will make it faster, won't make it sound any different.
Exactly right. Especially on a hot sunny day. The black paint absorbs more heat from the sun & as the heat radiates away from the paint it wiggles the air molecules so they slide by with less friction.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)