The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Feedback during live performance - help!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

12BarBlues
Posted 2005-08-01 12:26 PM (#142225)
Subject: Feedback during live performance - help!

I have a Celebrity Deluxe with OP24 preamp/pickup system. It has the multi-sounholes. I tried playing it live for the first time this weekend, and had to put it away due to the terrible feedback I was getting. I could hear it start to go the whole time I was playing, and had to continually mute the strings to stop it. After the one song, I put it back in it's case, and pulled out my Strat.

I was told by someone (another guitar player) at the gig that there are "plugs" or other feedback eliminators that help with this. I found the "AirLocks" on the web.

Can someone help with advice? Do these things really work? How can I combat this feedback so that I can play this guitar live. The guitar sounds awesome when playing at home.

I appreciate any help I can get.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Strummin12
Posted 2005-08-01 12:43 PM (#142226 - in reply to #142225)
Subject: Re: Feedback during live performance - help!

I have used air plugs before, a long time ago. Personally, I didn't like the sound the guitar created with them in. You can try different variations with which ones are in, depending on the frequency causing the problem, some combinations will sound better. You may not have to put them all in, as I thought at first.

Personally, I'd rather go with an outboard notch filter. Perhaps you can change the preamp and put a USA preamp in with a notch filter built in, but I don't know the details on that...one of the experts here would know more.

A notch filter, if you don't know, has a dial that you turn until the frequency that is feeding back is cut out. Different rooms and different guitar volumes will cause different frequencies to feedback...with a notch filter you can quickly eliminate that problem no matter where you are playing-and if you have it on board you can even change the frequency if needed on different areas of the stage. Several Ovation USA model preamps have this built in, but you can get it in a pedal form. My Godin Multiac actually has 2 of these built in, in case there more than one frequency feedding back.

I'm sure someone more qualified could probably describe this better. Hope it helps a little.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2005-08-01 6:06 PM (#142227 - in reply to #142225)

Ovations, even the imports, have a very high feedback threshold compared to most traditional guitars. If you are experiencing extreme feedback problems a set of airlocks wont help much. You need to look at your entire rig & how you are using it. Most feedback problems are caused by varying combinations of badly eq'd ( or just plain bad) sound systems, over-loud monitors, playing through amps designed for electric guitars, over-use of the guitars onboard EQ, dodgy room acoustics and incompetent sound engineers. If you can eliminate any of these problems and still need to get rid of feedback then a set of airlocks plus one of these will help

http://www.behringer.com/DSP110/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2005-08-02 1:25 AM (#142228 - in reply to #142225)

What Paul T. just said.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)