The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Crappy music stores

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

williamfriggle
Posted 2005-08-05 1:04 PM (#141464)
Subject: Crappy music stores

I am so fed up with the so called music stores in my area. :mad: I have to drive a minimum of 45 minutes to get to a half decent store. There are some closer but they never have what you need. Have a lousey selection, and their prices. Holy cow! I wanted to get a Tusq saddle for another guitar. Do you think I can find a local dealer who has these? Nope. Not a 1. I guess I will have to get a mail order together to order 1. Do you have to travel a decent amount to a good music store? If I wan selection the closest is a Sam Ash over an hour away. They are forcing us to mail order things.

Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ChatMan
Posted 2005-08-05 1:37 PM (#141465 - in reply to #141464)
Subject: Re: Crappy music stores

Jeepers man, it's cause your city's in the wrong state. No wonder you don't have any guitar stores nearby. All your local stores ended up in Colorado.

Geez, I wish city planners would think these things through.
willard
Posted 2005-08-05 4:11 PM (#141466 - in reply to #141464)

Not much in Peru, Indana either. It's in the wrong country.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-08-05 4:40 PM (#141467 - in reply to #141464)

We have a Paris, Idaho. Nothing there, either. It's pretty close to Preston, though, which is now internationally famous because that's where Napolean Dynamite was filmed.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-05 5:43 PM (#141468 - in reply to #141464)

There's a music store about 45 min. north of me in Jamestown, NY. It's not a big store, but there's a guy there who is an excellent tech ( 30-40 day turnaround on repairs). I bring students' guitars to him for repairs sometimes, but anything I need for myself I order online. A sparsely populated area like ours can only support a couple of small stores that deal in commodity items and lesser guitars. I understand that, and I sortof view online sources as my very own "specialty stores".
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-08-05 7:19 PM (#141469 - in reply to #141464)

I live in a city of around 100,000. Any time I go somewhere an ask for something I always hear, "We can order it for you". My reply, "Hell, I can order it myself, I want to know if you have it?" Always get a bewildered look from them.

I have learned to just mail order it myself most of the time. Just makes it easier. :D
williamfriggle
Posted 2005-08-05 7:36 PM (#141470 - in reply to #141464)

Originally posted by GrilledCheese:
I live in a city of around 100,000. Any time I go somewhere an ask for something I always hear, "We can order it for you". My reply, "Hell, I can order it myself, I want to know if you have it?" Always get a bewildered look from them.

I have learned to just mail order it myself most of the time. Just makes it easier. :D
I have said that very thing. I said this last time that if I wanted to order it I would be home on the phone, not at your so called music store. I have tried to support these local stores but I am fed up with them when they won't stock a simple saddle. And charge 2-3 times the price for stings. No thanks. I am done with them.

Now where I use to live there are still some good stores. So when I go back I will stop in anyways. But around here. Nope. I am done. :mad:
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-08-05 7:50 PM (#141471 - in reply to #141464)

Sometimes you just have to take a stand. I buy from very few places around here, as they have all ticked me off at one time or another.

Worst part is I'm easy to get along with. Just ask them a simple question and get the same dumb answer. Their loss. :)
williamfriggle
Posted 2005-08-05 8:06 PM (#141472 - in reply to #141464)

Well I just ordered my saddle and some strings to go with it from Stewart Mac. Like it has been said. It is the locals loss. Not mine. I will still be buying stuff mail order when they go out of business.

One surprise though. Neither Musicians Friend and Sam Ash had the Tusq saddles. That surprised me. But like we said, their loss.

Bill
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-08-05 8:22 PM (#141473 - in reply to #141464)

I have a local store (commonly referred to in these parts as "Music Unreasonable") which historically charged MSRP, and was staffed by wannabe (or nevergonnabe) rockstars. About a year or so ago they got with the program and are now offering decent pricing right out of the gate with salespeople I can deal with. They end up priced a little more than online stores, but they deserve it in most cases for the convenience factor and the fact that they have inventory carrying costs and you can go int there and play with it all.

The only Ovations they have are nylon string Applauses and the occasional Celebrity. But they have plenty of Taylors, Gibsons, Taks and Yamaha. Their electric selection is pretty decent, including nice LPs, American Strats, Rics, Alembic, Ibanez, and some jazz boxes. I have purchased a number of things there, including amps, effects, a bass guitar, and lessons for the youngen. lady stonebobbo is comfortable buying "gifts" from them now as long as I highlight what I need in the MF or Sweetwater catalog and she knows what the expected price point should be.

The store is working hard at improving their image. I like having a local store to go to ... many, many of the small stores around here have been driven out of business by CG or the internet.

We've got to support and encourage our local stores or we will end up with nothing but crappy little stores and McGuitarCenter.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-08-06 4:12 PM (#141474 - in reply to #141464)

There's a happy ending, Bobbo.

The 2 nearest stores to me are crummy, and I have to drive at least 45 minutes to any of 3 decent ones, so I do, and often have people with me. If a store refuses to even try, it their loss.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)