The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
kinda bummed out...QC issues

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-08 9:32 AM (#141242)
Subject: kinda bummed out...QC issues

hi there roundbackers,

i got my new 1778LX delivered a few days ago and the model is what i've been looking for for sure.
ordered it from MF, came new in the box.
upon inspection, the guitar has some definite cosmetic issues. :rolleyes:
1. the binding on the cutout is really butchered. looks like someone used the razor blade and went to town on it. lots of knicks and inconsistencies in the whole cutout area. the rest of the binding looks fine.
2. the FB inlay at 15 has 1/3 pushed in too far into the ebony, you can feel the gap.
3. the case is all scratched/gouged to hell.

so i call today to exchange, which they are very cool about. they email me a fedEx return lable so it won't cost a thing.
i'm even ready to just buy another one, so it will get to me faster, then have the $$ refunded from the first one. sure enough, when i tell the i'd like to order a new one, the guy says..."oh, you'll have to wait till the end of the month (it's the beginning of the month as i write) as we are out of stock on that model/color.
so i am bummed, but my rant is over, and yes i know i'll live and be okay. i can keep the first one untill the new come in, just wanted to get a head start on breaking in the new one...

:confused: i am disappointed that 3 people intialed the tag on this guitar and the flaws were deemed acceptable. i mean i've seen FGR's that had less imperfections.
thanks for listening :(
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2005-08-08 9:51 AM (#141243 - in reply to #141242)
Subject: Re: kinda bummed out...QC issues

Sounds like they were clearing out the "scratch and dent" racks in the warehouse.

You should check with Al and see what his lead time is on this.
MWoody
Posted 2005-08-08 9:59 AM (#141244 - in reply to #141242)

Why do you think we call them MF?

There are good sides (easy return) and downsides to working with the Gi-mungeous Box Outlet.

When its over you will have a great guitar and people will probably stop asking you "why didn't you call Al?". :rolleyes:
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-08-08 10:11 AM (#141245 - in reply to #141242)

Didn't we have a post like this a year ago? I thought I remembered that MF said something like "what do you want at that price?" or something.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-08-08 11:17 AM (#141246 - in reply to #141242)

I was right...

Originally posted by Paul Blanchard:
I saw this in the Harmony Central Classifieds this morning, and thought it worth passing on:

Don't buy From Musician's Friend or AMS!!!
Asking Price: US$N/A
Condition: Mint
Description:

Sorry to take up this space guys, but I have a rant. I just ordered a New Marshall Amp from AMS, and a NEW Gibson Les Paul From Musician's Friend.

Those two pieces both happen to come yesterday.

The Marshall Head had a 4 inch slice in the tolex.I called AMS, and they say "Does the amp still work fine"?

It did. And the guy said "It may have been returned..is it something you can live with"???

Hell NO! I just paid $1800 for NEW

Meanwhile, my Les Paul Standard from Musician's friend had 3 cracks in the neck binding, and a finish run on the back.

When I called to bitch, they said "Ok, those minor things are what we call a factory second..... certainly, at that price you can't expect perfect everytime".

Musician's Friend went on to explain that most of their guitars they sell ARE factory seconds....and many people don't know.

Well Gee.... It no wonder these people can whore out Les paul's and Strats cheaper than mom and pop up the street... they pay half as much for them.

I am now convinced that these catalog con's are the "Wal-Mart" of music gear.... and no REAL musician would buy any of their second rate shit just to save a few bucks.

Go to a real family owned store...pay a little more..and talk to someone who gives a shit, who's selling first rate gear.
Seller: Mad_AS _Hell,
E-mail: mad_as_hell (Profile)
Post Date: 4/8/2004

Last I heard, Al still gives a !@#$ and so do your local dealers.
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-08 11:33 AM (#141247 - in reply to #141242)

i'm not really as upset with the MF experience as i am with the big O...
don't get me wrong...i Love the guitar, with a capital LOVE!
but just as the above rant about MF, and AMS mentioned, you roll the dice when buying from a warehouse...
it isnt' MF's fault my guitar is nicked up...
and i personally don't buy it that most of their guitars are 2nds's...
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-08 12:09 PM (#141248 - in reply to #141242)

Somebody screwed up here, either the guy who built and inspected the guitar, or the guy who sold the guitar. Sadly, the persone left holding the bag is the one who bought the guitar.

If this is truely a QC issue at the factory, then I'm just sickened by it. How hard can it be to look at a guitar and determine in 60 seconds that it ain't right?

If on the other hand, this is another classic case of MF selling returns, seconds, blems, whatever, at full new price then I would take the guitar back asap and shove it straight up their ass.

The problem is, how do you know who's really at fault here? Maybe if you contact the factory with the s/n they could tell you if it was a second or not. Just an idea.

Small consolation now, but there really is value in using a dealer who at least inspects his product before letting into a customers hands.

Dave
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-08 12:17 PM (#141249 - in reply to #141242)

Originally posted by Standingovation:
[QB]
If on the other hand, this is another classic case of MF selling returns, seconds, blems, whatever, at full new price then I would take the guitar back asap and shove it straight up their ass.

hmmm...up their ass? sounds intriguing! :cool:
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-08 12:26 PM (#141250 - in reply to #141242)

I'm a little sensative when it comes to MF because of a few bad experiences myself. I bought a rack mount sampler - NEW. The box was sealed and looked factory new, but when I opened it I found that 1) the package with the manual had been opened, and 2) there were scratches on the face where it had obviously been mounted in a rack. The second bad experience was with drum heads. I couldn't fit the sampler up their arse, but I did manage to get my money back and then bought it from Sweetwater for a bit more money. Dave
worshipleader
Posted 2005-08-08 1:01 PM (#141251 - in reply to #141242)

I find it really hard to believe that the mothership let the 1778LX out the door with issues like that. Especially given the two FRGs that I have purchased which I still can't find ANY issues with. Sounds like a return that MF recycled and sent back out. Add the beat up case and I gotta believe that is what the real story is.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-08-08 1:52 PM (#141252 - in reply to #141242)

I would, if for no other reason than curiousity, contact the factory. They'll give you the straight story, unlike the MF'ers. I'm sorry. Musicians Friend.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-08 2:11 PM (#141253 - in reply to #141242)

I don't think factory would get into a "blame someone" game. They are certainly not going to point a finger at MF.
From what I know of them, they'll just get it taken care of....pronto.
williamfriggle
Posted 2005-08-08 2:11 PM (#141254 - in reply to #141242)

I had an issue with Elderly Instruments once. I bought a brand new Martin. At least it was sapposed to be brand new. It came with a bunch of pick scratches. I called and they said it was either bought before and returned or it was a floor model. I said that was not acceptable. I paid for a new guitar, not a returned one or a floor model. And if they are returned they are sapposed to like new when they come back. The sales man told me to be able to offer a liberal return policy they need to be able to resell retruns if they are in acceptable condition. I said well this one is not acceptable to me. I sent it back and got another one and he made sure it was truely new. I have bought from them since and not had an issue. They are not a warehouse to my knowledge and someone is sapposed to inspect and set up each guitar before it goes out. He told me when he receiced mine back that it should not have been sent as a new one and it was listed as a floor model, to be sold at a discount. Someone there goofed and he appoligized. I did get a new guitar, but it was a pain in the butt dealing with shipping and the wait.

Bill
MWoody
Posted 2005-08-08 2:18 PM (#141255 - in reply to #141242)

My least favorite is the "In-Stock" that is really a "Drop Ship" of unkown time/location.

What is good to hear is Customer Service at Ovation saying "Your shipment's on its way. We pack some fresh Lobstahh with it and UPS just left the Pah-kin lot".

Ok, so that's what I hear in my head...

Dollars to Donuts that it was a mis-handled MF issue.
noah
Posted 2005-08-08 2:42 PM (#141256 - in reply to #141242)

Call and talk to a supervisor and document who you talk to.
Just tell MF that it is obviously not up to the standards of "new".
Tell them to arrange to have their garbage picked up. You should not have to arrange the return.
Issist on confirmation that they will be refunding all of your money.
Obtain confirmation via email of their intent to pick it up and issue a complete refund.
If MF gives you any hassle, contact your credit card immediately to contest the charge. If your credit card customer service is any good, they will stand beside you... issue your account a temporary credit and tell MF to pick up their defective merchandise.

Learn from this and move on... their is a minty '05 being offered by one of our members or call Al.
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-08 2:44 PM (#141257 - in reply to #141242)

this one(1778LX) had not a single pick scratch on it... you could tell it really was new because of the very strong new guitar smell :-).

no matter who is to blame, it is a pain in the arse...
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-08 2:54 PM (#141258 - in reply to #141242)

YOU are not to blame and YOU should not be left holding the bag. Get a full refund from MF as quickly as possible. Then buy something new and in perfect condition, even if it's not an Ovation.

Mgmt Training Lesson #1 - Get shit off your plate and on to someone else's as quickly as possible.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-08-08 3:05 PM (#141259 - in reply to #141242)

A few months ago I played a Elite LX at my local GC. While moving my hand up & down the neck, the frets felt like a cheese grader. Sharp & intrusive.
I thought about "getting involved" in the problem, then thought again. Although it was something I did not like to see, it was not up to me to fix it.
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-08 3:06 PM (#141260 - in reply to #141242)

i will get a new one, in new condition...and it'll be the same model. as i said B4, i love the model.
i;ve already got a D28, the LX is a nice compliment to it.
talked to Al...
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-08-08 4:31 PM (#141261 - in reply to #141242)

Hal,
No Need to worry, Al will take good care of you.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-08-08 7:07 PM (#141262 - in reply to #141242)

On Elderly Instruments.....I'm sure what happened to Bill is that he got the floor model. I have a friend from Indiana who put a "hold" on a Martin OM-40 Rory Block signature earlier this year. I was going to Elderly the next day so I told her that I would play the guitar, eyeball it and make sure it was OK.

I got there and found out her guitar was OUT ON THE FLOOR!!!! It had a hold tag on it marked with her name, but it had not been put aside. She had been told that Elderly had FOUR (of the 37 or so total Rory Blocks), so the only excuse for that was laziness on someone's part. I checked the guitar over and found it had three scratches on the lower back from being the floor model....I made a note of the series number and went home and e-mailed her to tell them to give her a different guitar. They did.

Always keep that in mind about Elderly when you look at guitars on their website...it might likely be out on the floor getting played(and scratched). Elderly is a big, loose store, you can play guitars for 3-4 hours and never talk to a sales clerk.

Roger
Hal Jordan
Posted 2005-08-13 12:20 AM (#141263 - in reply to #141242)

well, come to realize that the guitar was a return...the inital tape/seal on the box had been opened, which i didn't notice at first- i was too jazzed to play it!
i spoke with MF returns manager and he said there must have been a "restocking error". i asked him why i should ever buy another guitar from them, he didn't have the best answers- very PC that's all.
anyways al has got one(1778LX-5) on the way for me.
i'm sure by the end of next week, my transaction-based blues will have disapeared.

so to put an end to this thread,so to speak,
I DO NOT THINK OVATION IS TO BLAME! i think MF was trying to sweeten their end of price-matching...all for $100.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)