The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
humidifier question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

ignimbyte
Posted 2005-08-09 1:49 AM (#141090)
Subject: humidifier question

Is it advisable to use a humidifier (such as Dampit) in an Ovation guitar? In my home, so far, only my Ms have the Dampits on the soundhole ... especially during the winter months where it tends to be dry around here. I hardly ever use them during the late spring and sumemr months.

Winter is still months away ... however, I just want to be prepared when the time comes. Your advice(s) will be greatly appreciated.

Peace!
Gil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2005-08-09 2:18 AM (#141091 - in reply to #141090)
Subject: Re: humidifier question

ignimbyte

We have had many discussions of humidifiers over the years. You might try a search.

BUT, yes, when the dry winter months arrive back there, it would be wise to protect any guitar with a wooden top from the extreme dryness of sub freezing winter.

The choice is, lock them in their cases and don't let them out until spring, or humidifying and not exposing them to freezing air that will often have a humidity of 0-5%, sucking the life out of beautiful wood that needs at least 30% to survive.

Bailey (Desert dweller that has the same problem in summer)
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-09 2:44 AM (#141092 - in reply to #141090)

You need to maintain the humidity level. How you do it is up to you. Dampits or other sound hole devices are fine, case humidifiers, room humidifiers, etc. Buy yourself a good digital hydrometer. Living in Phoenix I know a lot about low humidity. Dave
noah
Posted 2005-08-09 7:01 AM (#141093 - in reply to #141090)

Originally posted by Standingovation:
Buy yourself a good digital hydrometer...
hydrometer (hīdrŏm'eter), device used to determine directly the specific gravity of a liquid.

Dave, Once you fill up the plastic, I mean Lyracord bowl with distilled water, how often do you suggest testing?
Instead of buying another one, if I clean the probe real good, can I use the unit I already have for checking my car battery's electrolyte?
noah
Posted 2005-08-09 7:53 AM (#141094 - in reply to #141090)

One of these is on my "to order list".

The intersecting needles of the thermometer and hygrometer provide a visual indication to help you maintain humidity nirvana for your guitars.
It provides a no-brainer indication when other measures are required to protect your wood.
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-08-09 9:56 AM (#141095 - in reply to #141090)

Gil:
I live in New Hyde Park. I keep all my guitars on wall hangers in the basement. I don't use humidifiers and I've never had any problems. I agree with using them for high end all-wood guitars, but I dont think you need a humidifier with your Balladeer or Applause.
an4340
Posted 2005-08-09 11:00 AM (#141096 - in reply to #141090)

Gil,
I live in brooklyn, and the humidity in the house changes, so you got to check your own situation. Buy a hygrometer. In my opinion, regardless of price, if you care about your guitars, you should see to it that they get enough humidity. Get a cheap electronic $15 one, it has the same guts as the $50 electronic one. There's a previous post on how to test its accuracy with salt. See what the environment in house is. Put humidifiers and hygrometers in case as needed. If you have too many guitars, you'll need a special room.

I have hygrometers in all my cases, except for my solidbodies which don't seem affected by the humidity. In the summer humidity is not an issue, only an issue in the winter.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2005-08-09 6:43 PM (#141097 - in reply to #141090)

Originally posted by Mitchrx:
Gil:
I agree with using them for high end all-wood guitars, but I dont think you need a humidifier with your Balladeer or Applause.
good luck
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-08-09 7:35 PM (#141098 - in reply to #141090)

The plastic bowls hold water. Just add it to the house plant watering rotation.

I just use my O's as a dog bowls and dump them out when I need to play.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-08-10 4:26 AM (#141099 - in reply to #141090)

Thanks for all the advice ... I learned something new from the inquiry, and I really appreciate them. They may not be high-end guitars, but I am concerned about the tops cracking, especially when I'd been told that O's tops are known to crack below the bridge. I have neither seen nor experience it, but I'm not taking any chances.

... just not so sure though about the plant watering rotation thing ... :D

Thanks again.

Peace!
Gil
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-12 7:26 AM (#141100 - in reply to #141090)

"Baladeer or Applause" ? The Baladeer has a solid top; it has all the solid wood that any guitar has except the back and sides. The Applause has a plywood top and a Nato (what is that anyway?) neck. A 1pc Nato neck doesn't have near the stability of a 5pc Mahogany/Maple neck. Sooo...if you wanna take your chances, go ahead. As for me, as soon as the heat goes on my O's go in their cases with a humidifier. John <>{
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)