The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Not to diminish anyone's suffering

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

cruster
Posted 2005-09-08 8:36 PM (#137937)
Subject: OT: Not to diminish anyone's suffering

So, the Steinberger I've been playing 2-3 hours every day for the last three or four months now needs a refret. Sure, Peekamoose or Glaser can do it...for $495 and a week of Sunday's to wait. =(

I put it away and pulled out the Hamer (thanks again, Alpep!). I'm having a good old time, getting used to the slightly wider fingerboard and the rather less comfortable shape. I keep it in the case next to my chair so it's not out where it will get damaged (it looks *that* nice...did I thank Alpep yet?). Two nights ago, I open the case, pull it out, realize I don't have a good angle on the case lid, so I lean the StudioFM up against my chair and let go of the cover so I can readjust...the two treble bout latch points that are apparently made out of gold plated, hardened hafnium carbide? Oh, they 'graze' the outer edge of the lower bout, leaving a couple of nice dings. Guess it's a player now.

As I'm now thoroughly dejected, I turn to my old sweetheart. The Elite. Her natural finish has warmed to a beautiful amber color (all that outdoor playing?), the grain in the top dancing seductively as I pull her out of the case. 'Yes, this is what I need,' I think aloud. My wife looks at me like I've lost (even more of) my mind. I get comfortable, giving her a gentle embrace (The Elite, not my wife...she's laying on the couch watching Lawless & Disorder), slip my fingers around her neck (again, not my wife) and get ready to play 'Blackbird'...with feeling. The strings have died. Did I mention I've been playing the Steiny almost exclusively for many months?

I have no more Elixirs with which to revive The Elite. =( I do have, however, two more packs of double-ball end, stainless steel, fret eating monster strings for the Steinberger. A fleeting thought passes through my head, 'Go get the Cropper.' Luckily, I have enough sense not to put yet another fine instrument in mortal peril.

The realization that there are many who have far bigger problems than I dawns on me. Then I thought...perhaps my misfortune will give someone who needs it a laugh.

I'm buying a sailboat.

Laugh.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2005-09-08 9:21 PM (#137938 - in reply to #137937)
Subject: Re: OT: Not to diminish anyone's suffering

guitars are made to be played.

play it
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-09-08 11:37 PM (#137939 - in reply to #137937)

those double ball ends make for good sail stays...

(Hamer....Ooouch....first one hurts most)
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-09-09 8:01 AM (#137940 - in reply to #137937)

Sorry to hear about your Steinberger. I have one of the Spirit models, but it has the string adapter on it, so I'm free to choose whatever strings I like. ;) It stays in tune just as well this way, as it does with the double ball end strings. :)
cruster
Posted 2005-09-09 1:19 PM (#137941 - in reply to #137937)

I've been meaning to get a string adapter, but wouldn't you know, MusicYo has been fresh out for some time. It's always something.

I know they're meant to be played, Al. But the Studio you sent up here was drop dead beautiful. Everyone that has seen it has tried to buy it...and that's just based on looks. When they play it they start getting serious. ;) At least the 'dings' didn't go to the wood.
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-09-09 6:22 PM (#137942 - in reply to #137937)

Originally posted by cruster:
I've been meaning to get a string adapter, but wouldn't you know, MusicYo has been fresh out for some time. It's always something.

Typical Music Yo.

At least the 'dings' didn't go to the wood.
Is the finish chipped?

If not the dings can be mostly removed with a soldering iron, and a wet, not with water dripping from it, paper towel folded over twice this gives you 4 layers of paper towel. Put the paper towel over the ding, lay the hot soldering iron on the paper towel for a few seconds, 3-5 at a time, check between each heat application. This creates steam which will raise the wood back up. It's an old woodworkers trick, but it works.
cruster
Posted 2005-09-09 8:01 PM (#137943 - in reply to #137937)

Thanks for the suggestion Herr Cheese. But, I think I'll just leave them as they are. It's just like the first time my wife backed into a telephone pole, or into her dad's car (parked on the opposite side of the driveway), or the time I turned to closely to the bright yellow 'light post' guards at work.

The dings and dents are bound to happen eventually, it's just sort of disappointing when that first one comes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)