The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Gals and YOUR Guitar habit

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Dale Lutes
Posted 2008-12-28 8:41 PM (#4984 - in reply to #4959)
Subject: Re: Gals and YOUR Guitar habit

My current sweetheart, Debbie, says she'll listen to anything but rap music, but I don't think she's all too fond of the jazz or eclectic rock I sometimes turn on. But I'm not so fond of the country that she likes, so when we're together we tend to stick with classic rock.

Deb says she loves to hear me play. She'll just curl up on a chair or couch and listen while I practice. She claims that I'm better than I admit. I counterclaim that she thinks I'm better than I really am. At any rate, she is much more supportive of my music than my ex...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-12-28 9:20 PM (#4985 - in reply to #4959)

We share the same taste in music, with a couple exceptions-she listens to Yanni and Delilah. I haven't heard her sing in years. She said she'd be embarassed compared to me, but she's not bad. She always enjoyed my playing. We bought my first Ovation so I could play it at our wedding and the OFC for our 30th Anniversary celebration. The rest she resisted or tolerated. She doesn't understand why I need so many, but neither do I.
cpotter73
Posted 2008-12-28 9:42 PM (#4986 - in reply to #4959)

I really couldn't ask for a more supportive wife, I lost all my equipment along with my our house including a custom Ibanez electric that she bought for me. I miss that guitar, but I was so very blessed to keep my children and the wonderful wife that I wouldn't trade all the guitars in the world for.
After the disaster my wife insisted I get back on the horse and had me looking for replacements. It took me awhile but I started slowly rebuilding my stable. If there was ever any doubt in my mind about her support it was erased when I went through some health issues the past few years and couldn't play, then have slowly started playing again (with her encouragement again of course). I've always been my worst critic, with a crazy wide range of music tastes, but my sweetie has always supported and encouraged me, She's been one of the only people that truly gets how much I love music and how happy it makes me just to play (even though she laughs sometimes when I go from James Taylor to foo fighters to brad paisley in the blink of an eye lol). I try, but I don't think I'll ever be able to show her how much she means to me.
Sorry to get mushy everyone but she's near and dear to my heart and I don't know how I could have went through everything I've been through without her.
Otto
Posted 2008-12-29 1:53 AM (#4987 - in reply to #4959)

Oooooh…. Tender subject.

That guitar/music jealousy thing that Canterbury and Dobro spoke of is exactly what shut me down for so long.
Sad, ugly story… maybe some late night jam campfire with a few glasses of Cabernet in me… :p

Anyway, cut to the epilogue. After right around 24 years of being pretty much musically dead due to a non-supportive… no… downright oppressive SWMBO, I’m finally regaining a little consciousness and finding that there’s still some notes left in me. Now if someone of the female persuasion wants to help me with those notes or even add some of her own to them, that’s cool. But ain’t NOBODY gonna take ‘em away again!

You guys with the fairy tale better halves, cherish them! You are truly to be envied.

...I'm preaching to the choir here, aren't I? :rolleyes:

Otto
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2008-12-29 9:28 AM (#4988 - in reply to #4959)

Fortunately my wife Lisa is my biggest fan! It didn't start out that way. When I returned from the 2005 factory tour and told her what a great time I had -- and she subsequently met some of you during the 2006 OFC-Texas gathering at Old Magnolia Town -- she started listening to me play and started signing with me. Now when I retreat tot he music room, she comes with me and admires my playing and participates with me. We sign at church together, and we get together with my guitar-playing buddies and she's right there by my side.

Love it! :D

PS: She also encouraged me to buy Tim's Adamas 1 12 string and cannot wait for it to come in so she can hear me play it! :D
an4340
Posted 2008-12-29 9:59 AM (#4989 - in reply to #4959)

I guess they interfer with my guitar playing, I mean, you gotta have sex with 'em sometime. Am I right fellas?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-29 11:31 AM (#4990 - in reply to #4959)

PEZ, you don't look that good at all, but your girlfriend is beautiful (looks like a great person). You are blessed in that regard as many of us are with you female halves.

There's an interesting point being made by people here. And that's that if you're into music, it's good to marry somebody who's into the SAME music. My wife is only one year younger than me. We grew up listening to the same music and as a result, when I pick up my guitar and play for her, she knows the tunes. It's good to have the same reference points in life.......
cliff
Posted 2008-12-29 11:48 AM (#4991 - in reply to #4959)

". . PEZ, you don't look that good at all, but your girlfriend is beautiful . . "

Once again, our ever-astute P.I. didn't read the posts correctly, and missed merely obvious details . . .
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-29 11:59 AM (#4992 - in reply to #4959)

Some days are like that.....
JeffreyD
Posted 2008-12-29 1:52 PM (#4993 - in reply to #4959)

My wife and I lead worship at church (she does keys) and we write and record together, so she is pretty supportive all the way around.

She is the one who persuaded me to buy the 2008C, my recently acquired Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and our airplane......I think I better keep her.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-29 2:09 PM (#4994 - in reply to #4959)

Originally posted by cliff:
". . PEZ, you don't look that good at all, but your girlfriend is beautiful . . "

Once again, our ever-astute P.I. didn't read the posts correctly, and missed merely obvious details . . .
Forgive me. Not PEZ, but rather Fridave. What else did I miss?
cliff
Posted 2008-12-29 2:23 PM (#4995 - in reply to #4959)

the boat.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-12-29 2:37 PM (#4996 - in reply to #4959)

Brevity is the soul of wit. Cliff is one witty guy.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-29 2:44 PM (#4997 - in reply to #4959)

Originally posted by cliff:
the boat.
I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay.....
beatlejuice53
Posted 2008-12-29 4:13 PM (#4998 - in reply to #4959)

My G/F of the last 3 years (Terrie), Likes Country music and I like "Classic rock". She has never given me any hard times at all about having too many guitars(I have 61). She does come out once in a while to see me play and has always been very supportive. She is not a musician at all. Can barely play a radio. We've had about as bad of a year, this year, as I can imagine, and she stuck by me no matter what. I tell everyone that she is the best thing that ever happened to me. I mean every word.
Bill
BT717
Posted 2008-12-29 4:41 PM (#4999 - in reply to #4959)

(I have 61)

61 Guitars??

Trader Jim,
I bet Beatlejuce63 might have one you never owned!! ;)
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-12-29 6:17 PM (#5000 - in reply to #4959)

SWMBO sings for a living. When our schedules permit, I sometimes accompany her. We had a few opportunities over the holidays including "Oh Holy Night" at a large candle light service. Its an honor to play for her, and she appreciates my accompaniment, but I still try to keep her out of the bandroom.
Beal
Posted 2008-12-29 9:01 PM (#5001 - in reply to #4959)

I've thought about this for the last couple of days. It's like this,
She's waiting for me to grow up and realize there are more important things in life than writing songs and playing guitar.
I'm waiting for her to realize that we've already done those things and they are not more important than writing songs and playing guitar.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-12-29 9:39 PM (#5002 - in reply to #4959)

Bingo!

After a long diligent career as a bookkeeper my wife finally realized there are more important things than making scents. (sic) Now she's a full time fabric-artist seamstress, happier than she's ever been and at peace.

Money's still an issue, but no more or less than it was when we had two good sized paychecks coming in. That doesn't seem to change no matter what, so ignore it. (the fear, not the good sense.)

Makin It Work
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-29 10:09 PM (#5003 - in reply to #4959)

Like Beal, I also thought about this for a day or so... (since I couldn't do much for several days...)
My wife is not only my best friend, she is my confidant and my critic...she pulls no punches and allows me to indulge my passion as long as it does not take away from our responsibilities...I sold my entire collection to finance her during the year it took for her to go back and forth from Minsk, Belarus to the US Consulate in Warsaw, Poland...7 round trips and all that it took to have records copied in several languages...plus Airfare to the US and all of the fees associated with getting her citizenship...
Over the past four years, she has allowed me to rebuild the collection and supported me in my decisions...
She likes music but (as she puts it): “liked my voice as much or more than the guitar”: it's the message of the song she likes...
I am more than blessed...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)