The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
That's it, I quit

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

cruster
Posted 2005-10-25 6:24 PM (#131799)
Subject: That's it, I quit

Our local cable company has recently added the BET Jazz channel. I like jazz. I just turned it on, and after sitting through some jazz that I don't like, they put up the Charlie Byrd Trio doing 'Jitterbug Waltz.' Charlie is playing a nylon string classical that looks like it has some sort of amp in it (looks like controls on the upper treble bout side and a cord out the end pin).

I am thinking I'll just sell everything and quit playing now.

All I can say is, :eek:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-10-25 6:27 PM (#131800 - in reply to #131799)
Subject: Re: That's it, I quit

You're right. Give it up.

I'll take the Hamer.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-10-25 6:50 PM (#131801 - in reply to #131799)

Watch Al DiMeola next and REALLY get depressed.....

Roger
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-10-25 6:54 PM (#131802 - in reply to #131799)

I get depressed just watching the kids at Guitar Center. I haven't heard of any people get depressed listening to me, unless it's for other reasons.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-10-25 6:57 PM (#131803 - in reply to #131799)

Waaaaa
Come on guys. Count your blessings. There are countless numbers who wish they could just play a proper G chord. I know I do.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-10-25 7:09 PM (#131804 - in reply to #131799)

That's true....I don't play a "proper" G chord....I have a "cheat" G that my buddy in The Peace Machine showed me that I've never bothered to unlearn.....

1 |-|-|O| G
2 |-|-|-| B
3 |-|-|-| G
4 |-|-|-| D
5 |-|-|x| deaden 5th string
6 |-|-|O| G

It IS a legit G chord, though....

Roger
Slipkid
Posted 2005-10-25 7:14 PM (#131805 - in reply to #131799)

Roger...I'm tryin' to help you out here buddy. Let's not let the truly talent blessed hog all the chords for themselves. There is plenty for everyone.
cruster
Posted 2005-10-25 7:17 PM (#131806 - in reply to #131799)

Unfortunately, Jeff, the Hamer has departed for a warmer climate. That and the Steinberger went to keep the peace when the ASAT Junior arrived. To be fair, and honest, though, I could've just offloaded one of my old Peavey's or something just to get the number below 'TheLimit(tm).' I have a plan, though...ASAT Junior first (done), then perhaps a call to my close friend and confidant (uh, that'd be Alpep) for a Korina Junior with a tortoiseshell pickguard. See, I'm one under right now. ;)

I'm just holding off until after re-finishing the finished basement (don't ask...wimmin :rolleyes: ) to start looking in earnest for 'TheJunior.' As someone far more wise than I likes to say, 'It's all ice cream.'

Brad- I'm still hoping to learn how to play the single G string, let alone a whole G chord. :p
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-10-25 7:27 PM (#131807 - in reply to #131799)

Hi,

Slipkid is right. I don't consider myself a great guitar player. Most of the time I accompany myself when I sing. Don't play the scales that good, don't play all those great fills I hear on the recordings,etc, and I know I don't practice enough.

I also know that there are a lot of people who wish they could play half as good as I do.

I'm glad that I can play as well as I can and find I enjoy playing.

Mark I know how you feel. When I go to the local GC I want to take those kids out in the parking lot and run over their hands with my pickup truck. :D Really I am impressed with some of their ability and it reminds me the benefits of practice.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-10-25 7:36 PM (#131808 - in reply to #131799)

I just tell them I'd like to buy whatever they're playing, but I can't fit it in my Porsche. That keeps them quiet long enough to call me an asshole.
Weaser P
Posted 2005-10-25 7:49 PM (#131809 - in reply to #131799)

That's the spirit, Mark. But a little unasked for advice for some of you others out there...keep in mind that it doesn't carry the same punch if you say "Subaru"...
Weaser P
Posted 2005-10-25 7:50 PM (#131810 - in reply to #131799)

Actually it changes "asshole" to "dweeb" in a hurry.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-10-25 8:07 PM (#131811 - in reply to #131799)

Don't let it get you down. Just because a world class professional guitarist can do amazing things on his instrument, that does not mean you are no good, only less skilled. Remember, these are professionals, so don't try this at home. Don't give up the ship! Keep on pickin' and grinin', there are players who would love to have your playing ability, whatever it is. Cheers, Buck
cruster
Posted 2005-10-25 8:22 PM (#131812 - in reply to #131799)

Buckaroo...Buck...pickin' and a grinnin'...all of a sudden I'm six years old again, laying on my grandparents floor watching Hee Haw on a huge console TV. I still want one of those red, white and blue guitars. The sparkly tele would be the cat's pajamas, but I'd take the acoustic, too. ;)

/me wakes up

Oh yeah, just thinking of Buck Owens' and Roy Clark's playing reinforces my earlier state position. ;)

(and I drive a Ford Ranger...is that better or worse than a Subaru?)
Stephen P
Posted 2005-10-25 8:34 PM (#131813 - in reply to #131799)

I get depressed just watching the kids at Guitar Center.
I know how you feel, and I'M a kid. They can play their Metallica solos, but ask them to do an equally impressive solo in the key of aflat, and they'll look at you wild-eyed.

They have the speed, but not the musical know-how.
That's what bugs me about guitarists today.
MWoody
Posted 2005-10-25 11:21 PM (#131814 - in reply to #131799)

I have the cure!

I am now committed on Tuesdays to help the Youth's "Not quite ready for prime time" players. We will spend a couple of hours working with the cool equipment and on stage to practice up for real performance... someday.

I am working with a Drummer on maintaining the beat and successfully adding fills. She's doing good and will get there! I also had the plesaure of working with another guy after writing out the finger placements for G, C. D and Em.

Maybe I should have kept a copy for Moody!

Anyway, I am feeling pretty superior after spending time with the newbies! Truth is, when I am old and decrepped in a couple of years this time spent will be have been priceless. Maybe I can get autographed CDs or better seating at their shows!
BruDeV
Posted 2005-10-25 11:45 PM (#131815 - in reply to #131799)

The 4th chord:

x,0,2,4,2,0
Bailey
Posted 2005-10-26 2:12 AM (#131816 - in reply to #131799)

cruster

I was given two Ford Rangers to drive when I worked construction. The first a pristine '87 that I drove the 70 miles from my house to the El Paso colonia where we were installing a gov't financed water system. The second was a '95 that I used to build a border crossing at Santa Teresa, NM, 60 miles from home. Both of them came with a credit card from the company for gas, but both got over 30 miles to the gallon so I could have bought my own without too much suffering.

To sum it up, I loved those Rangers even though they weren't mine really.

ALSO, I have been in demand for almost 40 years as a mandolin player and I am a total hack. Just get out there and try and don't worry about the top players, there is only 10 or 20 of them, there is thousands of bars that need someone who is willing and can pretend to be good.

Bailey
alpep
Posted 2005-10-26 7:17 AM (#131817 - in reply to #131799)

I think I have quit at least once a week for the past 40 years
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-10-26 7:34 AM (#131818 - in reply to #131799)

If you're going to truely quit...you have to do it day by day...
JeffreyD
Posted 2005-10-26 9:52 AM (#131819 - in reply to #131799)

I know what you mean. I used to fancy myself to be an excellent bass player (before I picked up a six string). Had local Christian groups and such wanting me to do the bass for them at gigs. Feeling pretty cocky.

Then I went to a Second Chapter of Acts concert (this is in the 80's). I was so impressed with the bass player, I sold my bass and didn't pick one up again for something like five years. My pride took an awful beating that night.

Now...it's for my own enjoyment and I watch these other talented people and go "I will never be that good", but I have what I need...no more...no less. I am going to start doing some home recording soon, but my CD's are just for the family (my adult daughters are also talented musicians/vocalists) so I won't ever worry about how good it is because they HAVE to love me.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-10-26 10:16 AM (#131820 - in reply to #131799)

Bailey is right, nobody ,except a player, knows if you are good or not. Nobody cares either, folks just want to be entertained. You don't need to play like Chet, Les, Roy, or Glen to be of service to your community. I'm not very good, but that's a well guarded secret, and people seem to enjoy the performances. A really good guitarist once told me, " I'm not exactly sure what you are doing, but I like it.". That comment meant a lot to me. One thing is sure, the more we play the better we become.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-10-26 11:43 AM (#131821 - in reply to #131799)

I've never considered myself a good guitar player. I can't do what I want to do and by and large, my own playing drives me nuts. But at church, playing in the band, I tell people that I'm only here until somebody better comes along. I'm told that I'll be there for a while longer.

It's not how many notes you know or can play. It's what you can do with the three chords you know. It's about heart, and it's about enjoying the music.

I know people on this board who are monster players and even tho' I'm not, I've played with them and all have had a great time. It's where your heart is.

In golf, everybody wants to shoot par, but if you shoot a stroke and a half over par, you can play with anybody. It's about the game and enjoying it. Not how far you can hit it.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-10-26 11:56 AM (#131822 - in reply to #131799)

I don't feel I'm even a "good" player, but my wife doesn't mind listening to me, and I've played with a club in Indiana (dulcimer club), and they are happy to have my accompaniment.

Nice thing about playing with mountain dulcimers....they prefer the key of D, so most of what you need is to play D, G and A....and sometimes Em and Bm....

I STILL have a Ford Ranger.....1994, and it's in the garage as I write.....

Roger
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-10-26 12:09 PM (#131823 - in reply to #131799)

Yeah? Well I suck.

I try to quit everyday, but I keep falling off the wagon.

....why just this weekend, there I am, sitting around trying my very best to not play and whaddya know...The Poison Bottom Boys show up at my door with cases of instruments, next I know, I'm playing one song after another...

I'm going to quit again later today after I have one last practice.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)