The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Question about warped soundboard

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 12:42 PM (#131485)
Subject: Question about warped soundboard

If you guys had just received an Al Di Meola CL
(the 2nd one since the first was flawed too) with a warped top (it has two wavy looking ripples under the bridge) would you be upset? The guitar plays and sounds great, so maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of something that is really common. Somehow I don't think so though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-10-28 12:52 PM (#131486 - in reply to #131485)
Subject: Re: Question about warped soundboard

Is it a new guitar? I do not think ripples under the bridge or warping as you call it, should be visible. I'd take it back and get another one. Dave
Weaser P
Posted 2005-10-28 1:00 PM (#131487 - in reply to #131485)

Absolutely. 'Specially one of that caliber. I would probably give the $150 beach special a little leeway but not an AD.
NostrAdamas
Posted 2005-10-28 1:07 PM (#131488 - in reply to #131485)

My ADII has a wavy apearance right under the pick area(were pick guards are) doesnot bother me too much as the finish applied over the top is smooth as a babies bottom
an4340
Posted 2005-10-28 1:08 PM (#131489 - in reply to #131485)

On a new guitar that's unacceptable. Send it back.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-10-28 1:13 PM (#131490 - in reply to #131485)

I think it's unanimous. My Classic has a wavy look to it. It looks like the high spots are over the braces. I didn't notice it for months, only after I started hanging it on the wall. It must be something about the light. But I bought it used and it is 15 years old. On a new AD, I'd send it back. If it bothers you now, it may really bother you in a year or 2.
Erniewan
Posted 2005-10-28 1:31 PM (#131491 - in reply to #131485)

send it back, yep...

the way ovation glues the bracing and bridge on now, it should be flat as a pancake..
Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-10-28 2:59 PM (#131492 - in reply to #131485)

I bought one about a year ago that had a little wavyness down by the bridge. I went ahead and kept it. Now less than a year old it has developed a 1 inch finish crack on each side of the bridge. I should have sent it back and this may not have happened. I don't think finish cracks are covered in the warranty. I know it is NOT because of conditions as I keep a humidifier in each of my guitars and/or cases. I have 6 Ovations (as well as a couple Fenders and Gibsons)and this is the only one that this has happened to. None of my guitars EVER leave the house. Does Ovation warrenty these types of cracks? Maybe I should send a photo to John over at the Mothership?
Slipkid
Posted 2005-10-28 3:51 PM (#131493 - in reply to #131485)

I'm tempted not to comment because I might jinx myself.
My guitars sit out year round.
Without any humidity gadgets.
I take my AD-II out to open mics and practices summer or winter.
Never have had a problem.
I'm not saying "nanner, nanner, nanner"...I feel very bad for you guys. One reason we all buy Ovations is their reputation of being issue-free no matter if they are new or 30 years old.
Watch...now that I said that all hell is going to break loose. Tiny evil little wood elves are going to break in my house at night with their tiny evil little tools. I'll lie awake wondering... "Did I just hear something crack??".
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-10-28 5:24 PM (#131494 - in reply to #131485)

This is starting to sound like something familiar...

To answer your question, No, I would not be upset. I would have done what was suggested on the other thread, to send you original one back for a neck re-set. It's no biggie and no secret. They did my "brand new" U681T and turned it around in a day. It goes freight payed, both ways through your dealer. But since you seem to have some pull and got Mike (my favorite Rep)involved, I have to ask. Did he even see the first one? Awfully nice of him to get a new one sent out for you. Has he seen the 2nd one? Also, does the dealer still have the first one? maybe you should look at them side by side. Dark colored smooth tops tend to show the bracing if you hold them at certain angles to the light. That by itself doesn't mean the top is warped, the bridge will lift or the finish will crack. I'm wondering if the two are alike.

As for the QC issue on the first one, I'd bet you lunch that is was set up to spec. If the action is good and the neck is straight with the end of the fingerboard off of the top, Then it's good.
If you exchange it again, you'll get what you get. If you send one back to John and Kim, a real human being who knows what your concerns are takes care of it. Either way you have to appreciate their customer service.

Ok, I'm off my soap-box now.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 7:29 PM (#131495 - in reply to #131485)

Am I supposed to be feeling guilty or something?

As far as I know, the rep (how did you know it was Mike? I think that's his name) has not even been in the store. The reason I had another one sent was so I could play the old one until the new one came and I wouldn't be without a guitar I just bought for 2 or more weeks. Is there anything wrong with that? Besides, I gig with my guitars.

I don't know about you, but when I spend this kind of money on a guitar I don't want there to be ANY flaws such as the type I'm dealing with here. Both times I've spoken with Kim Keller who has---both times---graciously consented to sending me new guitars, so I'm very happy with the customer service, though not too ecstatic about the QC.

Forgive me if I sound offensive but there is kind of suspicious and accusatory tone to your post.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 7:36 PM (#131496 - in reply to #131485)

Am I supposed to be feeling guilty or something?

As far as I know, the rep (how did you know it was Mike? I think that's his name) has not even been in the store. The reason I had another one sent was so I could play the old one until the new one came and I wouldn't be without a guitar I just bought for 2 or more weeks. Is there anything wrong with that? Besides, I gig with my guitars.

I don't know about you, but when I spend this kind of money on a guitar I don't want there to be ANY flaws such as the type I'm dealing with here. Both times I've spoken with Kim Keller who has---both times---graciously consented to sending me new guitars, so I'm very happy with the customer service, though not too ecstatic about the QC.

Forgive me if I sound offensive but there is kind of suspicious and accusatory tone to your post.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 8:30 PM (#131497 - in reply to #131485)

One other thing, the "warped" area on the guitar's top is not only visible, but can be felt when running my fingers over it. The first one sent did not have this warping. Neither does my 1869 CL---that one is perfect and flawless, and is the guitar that got me believing in Ovations.

In both instances these flaws were confirmed by the guitar tech at our store. And Kim Keller himself said that these guitars should not be in that condition. I have approached everyone with the attitude that maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it. The responses have all been unanimous (except for yours)---SEND IT BACK. And yes, the first one has been sent back and so will the second one when I get one that's as perfect as my 1869.

Okay, I think I'm off MY soap-box now.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-10-28 8:42 PM (#131498 - in reply to #131485)

I think it's hard to dispute that there have been some QC issues with new guitars of the line this year. Don't like to admit it but, we all know quite a few folks who have sent their brand new O's (and A's) back this year because of QC issues.

Send it back.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-10-28 8:52 PM (#131499 - in reply to #131485)

This may not be a solution for you, but I would recommend cutting your loses and get your money back. Go to a good local shop and play and inspect the guitars until you find the brand, model and flawlessness (is that a word?) that meets your requirements.

Dave
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-10-28 9:02 PM (#131500 - in reply to #131485)

A new guitar with obvious flaws is unsatisfactory. You need one that pleases you, not one that adds aggrevation. Send it back, without reservation. You deserve a perfect instrument, don't settle for any less.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 9:11 PM (#131501 - in reply to #131485)

Thanks Buckaroo. And Dave, I appreciate what you're saying, and I usually buy guitars that I have played in a shop first, but the thing is---I really want an Al Di Meola Custom Legend and there's not one anywhere near here.

When I emailed Kim at Ovation, I asked if he would personally select---and inspect---the next ADII and he said he would. He clearly does not want a dissatisfied customer.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 9:12 PM (#131502 - in reply to #131485)

Thanks Buckaroo. And Dave, I appreciate what you're saying, and I usually buy guitars that I have played in a shop first, but the thing is---I really want an Al Di Meola Custom Legend and there's not one anywhere near here.

When I emailed Kim at Ovation, I asked if he would personally select---and inspect---the next ADII and he said he would. He clearly does not want a dissatisfied customer.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-28 9:13 PM (#131503 - in reply to #131485)

Why do my posts keep being doubled?
Standingovation
Posted 2005-10-28 9:42 PM (#131504 - in reply to #131485)

Because you've been screwed twice by Ovation?

Couldn't resist, that's not really fair. Sorry guys. I know they don't intend to put out 2nd quality guitars, but somehow it happens. You deserve a perfect ADCL, no question about it. And I'm sure the boys in CT will take care of you.

It just pisses me off that this stuff happens and no one seems to know why. Ovation has such a shitty reputation among players to begin with and then QC issue like this come along and I just scratch my head. Maybe QC and AR share the same office?

In the end all will be well and you'll love your ADII. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to put up with in the mean time ...
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-10-28 10:01 PM (#131505 - in reply to #131485)

I have to agree with Dave on this. I want to emphasize that the QC issues are with the line...not customer service on the back end.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-10-31 12:38 AM (#131506 - in reply to #131485)

Jason,

I just want to let you know you didn't come accross sounding offensive, and If I sounded accusitory, I appologize. I was really trying to push how cool customer service and the reps can be, and Yes I would've liked to keep playing the 1st one while waiting for the 2nd one too. All very cool especially if gigging. That said having Kim/John help you at pretty much insures a happy ending, whether on a repair or just picking you out a nice replacement. Mike seems to get around and knows his dealers pretty well. I assumed he was hands on involved since you said he sent out the 2nd one for you. Again, very cool of him and it would've worked perfect except for the jacked up top on the 2nd one. Some people just can't get a break. Sounds like the mothership has the situation taken care of. I would again like to stress how well customer service takes care of anything that QC misses, and I wouldn't hesitate to contact them if I had any issues with a new gutitar. And you were absolutely correct about Kim wanting you to be completely satisfied.
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-31 6:51 AM (#131507 - in reply to #131485)

Fred,

Apology accepted----thank you. And I apologize for being so jumpy---I was just really frustrated since I havn't been through this before. Like I said earlier, I've never really bought guitars sight unseen.

And about Mike: he and the dealer through whom I'm getting the guitar are apparently good friends, which is my "pull" I guess. I know they're both exercising real patience with me.

I'll let you guys know when I get the next (3rd!) one.

Jason
jbucklin
Posted 2005-10-31 6:54 AM (#131508 - in reply to #131485)

Fred,

Apology accepted----thank you. And I apologize for being so jumpy---I was just really frustrated since I havn't been through this before. Like I said earlier, I've never really bought guitars sight unseen.

And about Mike: he and the dealer through whom I'm getting the guitar are apparently good friends, which is my "pull" I guess. I know they're both exercising real patience with me.

I'll let you guys know when I get the next (3rd!) one.

Jason
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-10-31 10:38 AM (#131509 - in reply to #131485)

It'll be perfect!! Better than both of the ones that came before it. And you'll have a cool story to tell about how the "3rd time's the charm".
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)