The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
harmonica players

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Posted 2005-10-29 1:12 PM (#131376)
Subject: harmonica players

Looking to purchase a 12-hole chromatic harmonica in C, any recommendations? And also looking to get a harmonica neck holder as well... any feedback would be appreciated!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2005-10-30 5:55 AM (#131377 - in reply to #131376)
Subject: Re: harmonica players

If you're using them together, of course, the holder makes the chromatic useless. I've had a neck holder for years, and have been using it more lately. I think if I were looking to get one today, I would look at pros who play them well and try to get a model similar. Beck does a good job with his, and it looks like your basic model, just like mine. The angle is tricky, so watch Dylan or Beck and take cues from them.

Lastly, like singing, your harp playing has to be practiced so that you don't have to think about notes while you're playing guitar. Since you're doing 2 complex things at once, every time you change a chord, immediately get in mind what chord is next. That is my method for minimizing screw-ups.
OldLiverJones
Posted 2005-10-30 9:39 AM (#131378 - in reply to #131376)

Don't include Bob Dylan as a pro.
GN-Nick
Posted 2005-10-31 1:12 PM (#131379 - in reply to #131376)

If he ain't pro by now, he should get a day job.

Any reason why Chromatic?
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-01 2:57 AM (#131380 - in reply to #131376)

I don't play harmonica, but I have found that a harmonica holder works just fine for holding my kazoo. Dave

Bailey
Posted 2005-11-03 2:30 AM (#131381 - in reply to #131376)

mail911780

I played a harp off and on a few years back when my son and I were playing country rock, and I used a holder which I seem to have lost over the years.
Number one:
A Chromatic is almost useless if you are going to play guitar simultanoiusly. What you need is 3 or 4 harps that cover the keys you intend to play in.

Number two:
Make sure you know the bass end from the treble end, I , and my son, were never so embarrased as when I took a harp break on a song we had played hundreds of times with the harp backwards, I'll never forget the look he gave me as something emerged that had nothing to do with what we were playing. What was even more amazing was the sudden applause we got as the audience thought they were hearing amazing improvisation on a generally boring song.

I haven't played much harp since as I peaked on that night.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)