The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Popcritic, what is it about kaki?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Englishplayer
Posted 2005-11-01 9:38 PM (#130869)
Subject: Popcritic, what is it about kaki?

Popcritic, what is it about Kaki that seems to get some folks so upset? From my point of view... Saw her on Late night and I enjoyed her. Heard a few tunes, enjoyed them. She appears to be a talented, cool young lady moving into the male dominated area of "progressive" acoustic guitar. On another website, a little bit ago, some folks had strongly blasted her. I think you handled that with a lot of class. I just read a few reviews on Amazon and some folks love her, but others are personally offended by her music. There are claims that she is just a cheap copy of Hedges and Reed. In several cases, the claims are almost as if she cheated or copied her way in. I don't get why some folks take it so personally, and why they refuse to admit she has any talent.
Early on the Beatles tried to be Dylan and the Everly's and Chuck Berry; Paul Simon tried to be Dylan; Dylan tried to be Woody; Brahms tried to be Beethoven; Picasso tried to be Rafael, etc... early in everyone's career they tried working off the influence of others they admired to help find their own artistry. So, what's the problem? It seems to go much deeper than some folks just not liking her music. Is it something as simple as they don't like a young female entering the field? Popcritic, It must be tough for you to be objective, but what's at the root of this because I don't understand it? I think you have great reason to be a proud father.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2005-11-01 9:56 PM (#130870 - in reply to #130869)
Subject: Re: Popcritic, what is it about kaki?

Rhetorical question. No need to respond.
Englishplayer
Posted 2005-11-01 10:10 PM (#130871 - in reply to #130869)

C'mon, it can't be that simple.
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-01 10:16 PM (#130872 - in reply to #130869)

There are those that have ability and passion and strive to accomplish more. There are some that choose to bring down the able because it is easier to make a living by disecting others talents than by taking the risks to develop your own.
stephent28
Posted 2005-11-01 11:08 PM (#130873 - in reply to #130869)

I rarely care what other people think. I feel that I am intelligent enough to make my own decisions concerning my likes and dislikes. I am rarely persuaded by anyone else although comments will often prompt me to investigate a genre a little more throughly than I might have otherwise done.

If you enjoy Kaki's music (and I for one do), then why give a rat's ass what others comment or think.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-02 12:02 AM (#130874 - in reply to #130869)

Firstly, there isn't anything new. Everything is a copy of something else. Even Mozart made a career by rearrainging licks he heard as a traveling prodigy. He was very good at it, probably the best ever. The last song I heard with a new sound was "I wanna hold your hand". It was unlike anything I'd heard at the time. I try not to intellectualize my criticism of art. If something pleases me I like it, regardless of its meaning or relevence. There are pretty narrow parameters for music, or any other art form. If you go too far outside the lines the work will suck. If Kakis' music pleases the ear it's good. Critic have rights to love or hate whatever they want to, but they'll never be able to tell me what I like, or influence what I'll buy.
Englishplayer
Posted 2005-11-02 8:20 AM (#130875 - in reply to #130869)

Stephent and Buck, the initial post had nothing to do with whether critics should convince you. I was looking for Popcritic's take on the degree of fervent passion in which some show disapproval of Kaki's music and the possible root causes.
pipemaker
Posted 2005-11-02 8:47 AM (#130876 - in reply to #130869)

i have to agree an4340.... just aint no acountin' for taste...
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-02 10:42 AM (#130877 - in reply to #130869)

Please excuse our veering off topic. I thought that was allowed. A few extra words won't hurt ya. :cool:
popcritic
Posted 2005-11-02 11:11 AM (#130878 - in reply to #130869)

Understand that I must be very careful about this particular subject. Perhaps I can phrase a response somewhat like a politician speaking on background with a journalist.

"You might very well think that the vicious attacks on her in other forums were motivated by envy and professional jealousy, but I couldn't possibly comment."

p.c.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-02 11:25 AM (#130879 - in reply to #130869)

You don't have to like the music to appreciate someone's obvious talent in making it. That's how I feel about Kaki's music. Pop and I have had this exchange before. I don't care for the music but I absolutely love how good she is at making it. Incredible talent and I respect her a lot. It's only human nature that anything new is initially met with rejection, contempt, and undeserved negativity. Time changes most things.

PS - I tell people this about my ukulele playing all the time - hey, you may not like "Tip-Toe", but please give me credit for having the balls to play it in public.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-02 11:25 AM (#130880 - in reply to #130869)

It's just the inter-net.
Anything outside of this message board should be taken with a grain of salt. Except when you agree with it.
Having said that, there are still times when I get sucked in.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-11-02 11:35 AM (#130881 - in reply to #130869)

We, especially here in America, have this overwhelming desire to want to tear down people who have achieved certain levels of stardom. Toby Keith did a song called "The Critic" ... pretty biting, not a great song by any means, but dead on. 'Nuff said.

You don't have to like the music to appreciate someone's obvious talent in making it.
A few years ago, I was bamboozled into going to a George Winston concert at Davies Symphony Hall. The guy has a boatload of talent ... and it was three of the most painful hours of my life. A Windham Hill guy I'm not. But GW is good, very good.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-02 11:41 AM (#130882 - in reply to #130869)

HAD a boatload of talent. And could play the hell out of a harmonica, too.

My son dragged me to a Sigor Rois concert at the beacon. My ears were bleeding. But I never saw a guy play a cymbal so well with a bow saw before.

Dave
John B
Posted 2005-11-02 11:53 AM (#130883 - in reply to #130869)

Personally, I don't think that any intelligent fan really takes critics too seriously. I happen to
think that what Kaki does is very interesting for the most part. I don't like every song, but I absolutely love some of them.

The important thing is that what Kaki does is very different from what people are used to. Any time something is different, even if it's great, there will be those who instantly hate it. It sounds like Kaki is doing just fine, so screw the critics. Kaki has already accomplished more in her early 20's than most of these half wits will in their whole lives.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-11-02 11:56 AM (#130884 - in reply to #130869)

HAD? Did I miss something? I read a few weeks ago that he was on tour.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-02 12:19 PM (#130885 - in reply to #130869)

OOOPS, I was thinking of Michael Hedges. Another Windham Hill snore-meister of immense talent. I think he passed away a few years ago. Dave
cliff
Posted 2005-11-02 12:23 PM (#130886 - in reply to #130869)

I was always a big George Winston fan (still am), but his music is better suited (for me, anyway) when I'm home alone reading and I need some "ambiance". A couple hours in a concert hall is like . . well, like Bobbo said, "painful" (after the first hour). I saw him a few years ago at NJPAC, and after sitting completely still and quiet for SO long, I came to what was the closest IN MY LIFE that I ever came to just jumping up and yelling "FreeBird!!!" . . . .

The sphincters on that other Forum all have to be taken with a grain of salt. I like to call them the GuitarCognoscente. They got pissed because Kaki broke onto the scene and was suddenly receiving tons of attention and accolades which they felt SHOULD have been bestowed on the handful of traditional fingerstyle guitarists that they religiously fellate on a regular basis. What they failed to take into consideration is that said "fellatees" all sound the f@ck-ing SAME!

Along comes a young girl who (albeit with Hedges/Reed influences) who's a little left-of-center, and the stoic, traditionalist "connoisseurs" get their little endpins twisted in a knot.
. . . y'can bet your ASS it didn't "help" that she played an Adamas.

I'm with Master Witko, in that while I don't listen to Kaki in my "constant rotation" I DO put her on when the mood strikes, and I DO enjoy her.

Some of these guys just tend to take this shit too seriously. I read an interview a while back with Pierre Bensusan. While I realize he's a brilliant guitarist, when I put the interview down the biggest impact that it had on me (and to this day comes to mind every time I hear his name or see his face) is that his talent is far exceeded by his ego.

"Shut Up, and Play Yer Guitar"
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-02 1:15 PM (#130887 - in reply to #130869)

I saw George Winston in concert maybe 20 years ago. I can sorta remember some of his music, but what I really remember is him walking out to the piano in jeans, a plaid work shirt and no shoes and saying (in a very unpretensious manner), "Here are a couple of tunes I wrote...". Gotta like an attitude like that.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-11-02 6:35 PM (#130888 - in reply to #130869)

Michael Hedges died in a car accident in 1997.....he was found two days later after sliding off the road. A sad waste of talent.

Kaki is the real deal. I don't understand why critics would think otherwise, except to make themseleves look "important". To me, they just look STUPID.

Roger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)