The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Endorsements

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-11-02 6:08 AM (#130824)
Subject: Endorsements

I got a copy of "The Book" in the mail yesterday. I was impressed with all the big names who endorsed Ovation back then. I know this has been discussed too much already, but it was downright embarrassing to look on the O site this morning and see Nikki Sixx (what kind of a loser needs to make up a name like that?) SITTING ON THE AMERICAN FLAG! I've decided I will just enjoy my Ovations from now on and forget about trying to win other peoples' respect for the brand. John <>{
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-02 6:18 AM (#130825 - in reply to #130824)
Subject: Re: Endorsements

"a legend among bassists"?

I'm with ya on this one, John. A little disrespect goes a long way. Disappointing.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-02 6:51 AM (#130826 - in reply to #130824)

I'm not sure who in Kaman Marcom approves public press releases and marketing collateral, but they dropped the ball on this one. Many (powerful) social / political groups would shit if they saw this. I'm not a vet myself, but I can imagine that anyone who has put their life on the line to defend the American flag and what it stands for would be a little upset and not overly motivated to by an Ovation product anytime soon. But then again, for the target audience of a nicky six bass this probably comes across as no big deal. Dave
an4340
Posted 2005-11-02 7:18 AM (#130827 - in reply to #130824)

It's too early in the morning for this. Guys, he's not burning the flag, he's not crapping on it, he's using it like a blanket for picnic. I've seen football players running around with flags, no one complains about that.

But Nicky Sixx was a good choice for the bass, you have to remember who they're targeting. Not us, probably a kid under 25 whose into dimebag daryl. If he plays an electric guitar it's probably an Ibanez RG or a Fernandes. I say Power to the marketing department for getting the bass into his mitts.

I know one thing, if it was Shania Twain on the flag no one would complain. In fact, I think she'd look patriotic!

So for me it's sixx on one and twain on another. Not really an issue.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-11-02 7:19 AM (#130828 - in reply to #130824)

I'm quite sure that it's no issue to Mr. Sixx's fans, but THEY didn't make the decision to put these shots on the Ovation website...some asshole who works for KMC (I hope they read this) made that call. I don't expect motley crue fans to concern themselves with decency, but I guess I can't expect it from KMC either. John <>{
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-02 8:49 AM (#130829 - in reply to #130824)

I'm sensative to this because that's what I do for a living - tech marketing and commercial communications (shit, the cat's out of the bag). I had a great ad layout a few years ago that featured two aliens. They made me rework it because the big eyes on the aliens could have been considered insulting to Asians. I was pissed, but then figured hey it's good that someone with a broader perspective than I is looking out for our corporate image. As far as the flag, I'd still have a problem with Shania layed out on it, unless of course she was naked or partially covered in chocolate.
Beal
Posted 2005-11-02 9:09 AM (#130830 - in reply to #130824)

Marketing, Endorsements, CLICK!
cliff
Posted 2005-11-02 9:12 AM (#130831 - in reply to #130824)

Hi, Bill . . Bye, Bill. . .
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-02 9:33 AM (#130832 - in reply to #130824)

How about whipped cream? I was just talking to another old timer about how controversial Herb Alpert's cover was and how much money he made in a short time.
John, you suppose anybody got upset when they painted the flag on guitars? It sounds like it depends on who is doing it. I don't care for Motley or bunches of others, but when somebody decided Nikki was a good endorsement, they should have anticipated the baggage that came with him.
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-02 9:38 AM (#130833 - in reply to #130824)

Flags - which is worse: an adamant protestor burning a flag in protest or Billy Bob covering his Pick'em up truck in made in China Mer-i-can flags from Walmart until they become frayed and tattered into threads and sticks?

Marketing is a necessary mistress; how much sway they are given is the issue. Remember Samson and Delilia(sp). Was it his fault or hers?
Beal
Posted 2005-11-02 9:44 AM (#130834 - in reply to #130824)

Hey Cliff, How about a nice purple PT?
cliff
Posted 2005-11-02 10:29 AM (#130835 - in reply to #130824)

". . tech marketing and commercial communications . ."

So, . . . exactly WHO do you get coffee FOR?? . . .

I seem to remember some "alternate" shots where Sixx had the flag draped over him. Being that the current album was entitled "Red, White & Crue", the flag was probably a device that the photographer wanted to use for the shoot.
All the pics were probably generic MotleyCrue promo shots and Ovation probably got clearance to use the ones that feature the O's. Due to the fact that they had a (relatively) big "name", they unwittingly didn't take into consideration the whole flag issue.

Draping a flg over you is one thing. Putting it down on the ground and sitting on it is another. I deal a lot with flags used in public shows and applications (especially in post-9/11 Manhattan).
One of my main providers of applique banners is also one of the largest US Flag manufacturers in the country. I've had to correct a LOT of people on the correct ettiquette of using the US flag. One of the most glaring was the Republican National Convention (remember them?) who INSISTED that I reverse the way the vertically-hung US flags face on my MadisonSquareGarden pre-production renderings. When I refused, I got called on the carpet. I then provided all parties concerned with the url to the US Government's website on proper usage of the American Flag.
They were wrong, I was right. (asswipes)

By rights, the flag shouldn't be laying on the ground, and he shouldn't be sitting on it. It probably just happened in all the excitement of the photo-shoot.
For all we know, the photographer wasn't even American . . .
alpep
Posted 2005-11-02 10:33 AM (#130836 - in reply to #130824)

hmmm poor guy seems to have a hole in his shoe.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-02 10:37 AM (#130837 - in reply to #130824)

"relic'd".
(and probably paid a $hitload extra to get 'em that way) ;)
zchord
Posted 2005-11-02 8:11 PM (#130838 - in reply to #130824)

I picked up this month's GW Acoustic issue today. I look at this (vs "Acoustic Guitar") as more of a pop, mainstream mag for folks who don't know a ton about acoustic guitars. I was extremely disappointed to see the Ovation ad with Nikki Sixx. Any mainstream acoustic player deciding on what guitar to buy (thus open to marketing)looks at that ad and doesn't consider an Ovation (IMO). That ad opposed a "thinline acoustic review" that featured Gibsons, Godins, Guild, Martin, and a Celebrity!? Viper!!! Why not send a USA Viper? Isn't that what Ovation wants represented? It wasn't a bargain review or "under $500". Don't understand. Inside cover has Edwin McCain playing his Ibanez. Why can't Ovation find some maintream young singer/songwriters to play their stuff and represent their brand? Oh, well.
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-02 8:28 PM (#130839 - in reply to #130824)

I don't know. Why doesn't Ovation seem to think a gathering of 400-500 worship musicians, MANY of whom are guitarists, is an important enough reason to actually have an Ovation rep attend? This is a huge market being eaten alive by Taylor.
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-02 9:03 PM (#130840 - in reply to #130824)

I say we go Co-operative!

What stock do we have to buy and take control of?

I can tell when Bill is pissed - his spelling gets betterer.
Paulcc1
Posted 2005-11-02 9:57 PM (#130841 - in reply to #130824)

I don't know. Why doesn't Ovation seem to think a gathering of 400-500 worship musicians, MANY of whom are guitarists, is an important enough reason to actually have an Ovation rep attend? This is a huge market being eaten alive by Taylor.
I agree with Waskel why should Taylor get it all. Now that I have found there is not a better Acoustic plugged-in, I would think most worship musicians would find an Ovation to be the best guitar to use in churches because they can fit any size room, from big to small.
Pauly
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-11-03 9:10 AM (#130842 - in reply to #130824)

I really believe that Ovation should look at the current marketing plan. While i'm sure that they had a reason and a philosophy behind using the nikki sixx ads..they need to look at appealing to other players as well. If they don't they are missing the mark at higher potential revenue for the company. That said, making use of the many worship type players or front porch, living room musicians is one approach that should be looked at really hard. But they also should look hard at the singer songwriters that are well known out there. Kristian bush of Sugarland is playing US made Ovation mandolins in concert and in alot of there videos...
The point being made is make the advertising match
the market. If you're in an Acoustic Guitar style type magazine ..use either the singer songwriter approach or the worship players/front porch living room players approach. Ovations are still used inthe studio, Find those players and use them in your ads.Obviously many Of us are passionate about Ovations, and we love the company that continues to churn them out. It only makes sense that we would want the company to thrive financially and gather more faithful players. To do it.. you've gotta hit the mark in your advertising. I know they read the posts here. Now Please read and consider doing something to make Ovations appeal to the masses. Don't let the other guitarcompanies and the ads they use pass you by.
More than anything..I want Ovation to succeeed and thrive.I realize KMC has other brands..
but lets concentrate on the brand that started it all in the first place.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-11-03 9:58 AM (#130843 - in reply to #130824)

I don't really get concerned about the poor misguided Company making more money. And the flag issue isn't the big reason I started this thread. I simply get a little tired of people not taking Ovation...or ME as an Ovation player...seriously. I do hide my embarrasment when I play my Ovation next to the guy with the Taylor 814ce on Sunday mornings because when he sees O ads he sees nikki sixx, and when he sees O's in the store he sees Celebs and Applause. No point in my standing proud with my Ovation if the Company doesn't care about their own trendy, teenager image. It's like throwing eggs at the freight train.
Artist
Posted 2005-11-03 10:57 AM (#130844 - in reply to #130824)

AMEN! :cool:
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-03 1:31 PM (#130845 - in reply to #130824)

Do we really care what the infidels believe? Not!
Paulcc1
Posted 2005-11-03 1:49 PM (#130846 - in reply to #130824)

I have the best sounding guitar at Northfield Bible Fellowship. We have a bunch of teens and college students that stay after church and play. Of all the guitars there the Ovation sounds the best and I don't play all that well, so its not me its my O.
:cool: Pauly
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-03 1:54 PM (#130847 - in reply to #130824)

Interesting....it seems like the fans of Taylors, Martins, etc., talk about how much better (sic) their guitars are while we talk about how much better (sic) Ovations can be. Are we on the defensive or trying to right a wrong?
As far as endorsements/marketing I try not to get worked up about it. As I page through an acoustic guitar magazine and see all the flashy adds I wonder why my guitar is not presented as nicely. Wondering is about all I can do about it. No use getting my shorts in a knot.
Bauerhillboy....I bet the Nikki Six add would not even be noticed or even matter to the guy playing next to you in church. Don't dispare. The situation is not as bad as you think, but not as good as it could be.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-03 2:34 PM (#130848 - in reply to #130824)

I never get embarassed when I play next to a Taylor, Martin, or any other guitar. I take pride in my guitars and their sound. I am a bit embarassed by the ads in magazines for Ovations..... I don't know who does the adverstising, but they should be shot!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)