The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
OT - Ebay Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2005-11-04 7:24 AM (#130759 - in reply to #130734)
Subject: Re: OT - Ebay Question

Wow I remember when selling from a second chance offer was legit. I sold a ton of stuff that way.

I also remember when contacting people off of e bay would sell items too. sold a ton of gear that way too.

Funny as a seller I have actually told potential customers to go elsewhere when I did not get a good feeling about it. Maybe if I was a multibillion dollar conglomerate, I could just write it off, but I am just an idiot who sells gear for a living and I spend probably as much time protecting myself as a buyer does themself.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-04 8:05 AM (#130760 - in reply to #130734)

Ebay is like meeting people at a Bus Station. Most are honest, nice people that just want to get somewhere. There are those that would club you, take your possesions and remove one of your kidneys! You wake up in a tub of ice and hope that Paypal or Visa will cover your medical expenses!

The biggest threat I find is the uninformed, clueless POS's with a hotmail address that don't have the resources to finalize a decent sale. Fortunately, there are some clues that will give them away. I tend to not notice these however, when I really, really want the item and it just seems too good to be true!
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-04 8:38 AM (#130761 - in reply to #130734)

The problem with 2nd chance offers is that these usually occur in conjunction with "schrill bidding"; in other words the seller's buddy who was jacking up the price accidentally won the auction. Then they email you with a 2nd chance offer.

As far as deals on the side are concerned, If you go for these I know a Zulu Prince in Nigeria who father's is the former Sultan of Boogawomp-Wampalli. He needs help getting his father's money out of the country, he'll pay you a good bonus for your assistance. You should check into it, easy money.
alpep
Posted 2005-11-04 9:12 AM (#130762 - in reply to #130734)

btw did I mention that most of my problems occur with sales under $50??????

anything that is a large ticket item always goes smoothly.

I have no clue why
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-04 9:34 AM (#130763 - in reply to #130734)

I got a fake second chance offer on a 1537. Boy, talk about going from a low to a high and back down again.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-04 10:12 AM (#130764 - in reply to #130734)

Some good observations, these last few posts. There are phoney ebay and paypal mailings. You can go to "properties"(without even opening the email) and navigate to "message source". There, you can see a trail of addresses and get an idea of the validity of the mailing. My policy is that if an email is not directly related to a pending, or completed sale, it gets deleted. Any legitimate messages will be found in your "my ebay" page. I don't merely delete unwanted email anymore, I block the sender for all unwanted emails. That's a more thorough deletion, and helps get rid of hidden files. Buck
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-04 10:45 AM (#130765 - in reply to #130734)

Important note to Buck's post - Ebay and Paypal will NEVER send you an email concerning your login, account status or anything asking you for login credentials. These are 'spoof', or 'phishing' emails. In the most prevelant one purporting to be from ebay the entire message body is one big html link, if you click anywhere on the body it opens thier fake login page. It all looks very real and official, but it's not. They're after your login info.
Ebay and Paypal will only communicate this kind of message through thier own servers, via thier own messaging systems.
Don't take the bait and get 'phished'...
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-04 10:57 AM (#130766 - in reply to #130734)

Phe-e-e-w-w!
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-04 11:07 AM (#130767 - in reply to #130734)

"Ebay and Paypal will NEVER send you an email concerning your login, account status or anything asking you for login credentials."

Good advice, unless you are corresponding with Prince Iggywamp, son of the former Sultan of Boogawomp-Wampalli. He will need your Visa card number with security code along with your bank account number, routing code and your ATM PIN number. He needs this information because the former finance minister will have to set up a trial bank wire transfer, and also he has to bribe the palace guards to release his father. Once he has this data, he will circumvent the Nigerian Goverment's Comptroller office deposit 37 million dollars into your account. In this case you will have to give him the information.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-04 11:26 AM (#130768 - in reply to #130734)

Yeah, right Al.... do I need to remind you about that Adamas you spent a year tracking down?
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-04 12:14 PM (#130769 - in reply to #130734)

Well, Brian, I suggest you don't use Paypal when you send your money to Prince Iggywamp...
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-04 1:11 PM (#130770 - in reply to #130734)

Prince Iggywamp says I should have the 37 million in about a week, once it clears Nigerian customs. Then I'll buy everyone on this forum an Adamas.

He also said to be agreeable and play along if my bank calls, that's just the finance minister making a test bank transfer. He said banks are paranoid and I need to reassure them that this is all very legitimate! I am so lucky!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-04 1:48 PM (#130771 - in reply to #130734)

One of my senior partners, recently retired, actually sent around the Nigerian bank account email wondering if it was legit.
My dad, of similar age (78) had some similar scammer answering his ad for a motor home. The guy was supposedly in England and needed my dad's bank account number so he could wire money to it to buy a 40 foot motor home. My dad thought it was a little strange that a guy in England would want to buy a motor home in Oregon. Duh.
stephent28
Posted 2005-11-04 3:48 PM (#130772 - in reply to #130734)

While I fully agree with BrianT on his 2nd and 3rd cardinal rules, I tend to disagree with the first one.

I have cut many side deals on ebay from both the seller and the buyer end of things. If I see that the seller runs a storefront and has a phone number, I will not hesitate to call him, discuss the items and then try to cut a deal. I have also had buyers contact me to end an auction early and on occassion I have done so. Do you homework when dealing offline and there should not be any problems.
alpep
Posted 2005-11-04 3:56 PM (#130773 - in reply to #130734)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:

Yeah, right Al.... do I need to remind you about that Adamas you spent a year tracking down?
I meant that as a seller not a buyer. The smaller the item for the seller the bigger the pain in the butt. IMHO your mileage may vary.
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-04 4:53 PM (#130774 - in reply to #130734)

I guess I'll concede your point stephent28 about rule 1, provided that you are sure it's a legitimate trace-able verifyable business. But never deal on the side with a private individual. I get a constant barrage of emails offering to sell me a similar item to what I just bid on for a lower price. I am sure the majority of these offers are scams. If it's a legitimate verifyable business then I would agree.

I also like the analogy of Ebay being like a Bus Terminal, but it's a really really really big Bus Terminal full of hungry scammers.

And I also agree with alpep, larger more expensive sales usually go smoother, maybe because the parties involved are more serious.
cruster
Posted 2005-11-04 4:59 PM (#130775 - in reply to #130734)

Originally posted by alpep:
...The smaller the item for the seller the bigger the pain in the butt. IMHO your mileage may vary.
This is not limited to eBay, IME. YMMV.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-04 6:27 PM (#130776 - in reply to #130734)

I got my Collector's edition off ebay after it received no bids on ebay. It happened to be a local seller, the picture was terrible, with a bunch of dirty clothes in the background, and the kid admitted he didn't know what he was doing and listed his phone number. He didn't even identify the guitar as a 99 Collector's.
I called him up after the auction ended with nobody offering his minimum bid and worked out a deal, trading my Celebrity and some cash. Nothing wrong with that.
an4340
Posted 2005-11-04 7:19 PM (#130777 - in reply to #130734)

True, as a seller, things under 50, there are more problems. Things over 50, never a problem.
worshipleader
Posted 2005-11-05 6:47 AM (#130778 - in reply to #130734)

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
Robbie, you can never bid more than you are willing to pay.
Buckaroo - I disagree. I think that bidding more that you are willing to pay means that sometimes you get caught up in the frenzy of bidding and suddenly realize that you are the high bidder on a brand new Ovation-style Legato guitar for only $1,375 USD. I'm not willing to pay $13.75 for the guitar, but I bid more because my emotions got the best of me. In that case I either live with my actions (the right thing to do) or I retract (the wussy was out).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)