The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT - Ebay Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Alaskan Fly Guy
Posted 2005-11-03 9:39 AM (#130734)
Subject: OT - Ebay Question

I don't have much experience with Ebay and have a question. I have been bidding on an amp. Back and forth with this guy for about 10 bids each, then I get to where I am as high as I am going to bid. After I quit bidding for a day, the guy I had been bidding against retracted his bid (after he found out how high I would bid) then was allowed to start bidding again on the same item at $5.00 over my highest bid. Is this allowed? Should I just put in a real high Max bid, see how much he is willing to go, then retract it and rebid just over his last bid? Just doesn't seen right. I guess that's why I don't do ebay with much confidence.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-03 9:47 AM (#130735 - in reply to #130734)
Subject: Re: OT - Ebay Question

Explain to the Seller and retract your bids. Start over with a reasonable bid.

In the last 5 minutes place your bid at your "walk away" level.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-03 9:55 AM (#130736 - in reply to #130734)

Place the maximum you are willing to pay and then forget about it. Dave
Steve
Posted 2005-11-03 10:01 AM (#130737 - in reply to #130734)

...here we go again...I will try to maintain my objectivity about ebay, what little there is left of it. I am confident in saying that ebay is 'seller friendly'. So the seller that knows all the rules also knows what he can get away with. If a seller happens to have a 'friend' (accomplis) who bids on his items to run up their price, but then mysteriously disappears from the auction, then that will leave the next highest (unsuspecting) bidder responsible. Perhaps you have heard the Latin motto of "Caveat Emptor", which means 'let the buyer beware'. That is quite applicable to most all ebay transactions.

Steve
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-03 10:09 AM (#130738 - in reply to #130734)

What Dave said.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-03 10:13 AM (#130739 - in reply to #130734)

Or....Don't bid until the last possible moment. Be online at the end of the auction and place your max bid 30 seconds before.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-03 10:25 AM (#130740 - in reply to #130734)

That's called a shilling. Ebay is like tight rope walking, if you don't know how, it's best to stay on the ground. However, if you play your cards right, there are some great deals to be found. There are risks, and rewards.
worshipleader
Posted 2005-11-03 11:01 AM (#130741 - in reply to #130734)

AFG:

Let me start by saying, I love ebay. Have I ever been burned on ebay? Sure, but the good stuff I have bought and sold is easily 99.5% of my total experience. Ebay is a force that has dramatically changed the way much of the world is doing business, and has opened up a huge venue for buying and selling used goods that are, for the most part, good things needing a new home - not a trip to the landfill or Salvation Army store.

As a seller, I love to have bidders like you and the guy you were bidding against go at it in a bidding war. The price tends to go higher and higher and the emotion of the competition to win many times makes the two bidders bid more than they would have absent the "passion of the hunt".

Having said that, as a buyer I might bid my max right at the beginning and let the chips fall where they may. If I employ that strategy, I just don't check the auction again until it is over to see if I won, and how high the bidding went. Most of the time however, I don't bid until the last minute or so of an auction - you might call me a sniper, but as a buyer, this strategy often allows me to win a product for less than the maximum I was willing to pay if the bidding was low to that point. In either case, I only enter the max I am willing to pay and I almost never bid higher (unless it was a minty 1537...)

From your description, I can't imagine why the other bidder needed to retract his bid (ebay frowns on this btw, and will take action if too many bid are retracted) and then bid again higher than you. He/she could have just increased their maximum bid without having to go through the retraction process. Where bid retractions can hurt you is if you have been in a bidding war with a "shill"(sp) - a person in some way related to the seller who artificially bids up an item against you and then retracts, leaving you with the next highest bid and btw, a higher bid than would have been necessary to win the item originally.

Are bid retractions fair? I think yes if I inadvertantly hit the "0" button twice and entered a maximum bid of say $200 for a five pack of Adamas Strings instead of $20. I made a legitimate error and should be able to correct it quickly. In the case of a bidding war, where I realize that the game is suddenly too rich for my taste, then I say no. That is life and we have to learn to deal and live with our actions or passions.

My 2 cents ...
FlySig
Posted 2005-11-03 12:09 PM (#130742 - in reply to #130734)

Alaskan Fly Guy, it sounds suspicious to me. It is something that should probably be reported to the seller and to EBay, because whatever the motives were for retracting the bid, it corrupted the integrity of the auction.

Have you looked at the feedback for the seller and the other bidder? Have you looked at the bid history on the seller's other auctions to see if the same bidder is bidding on those? Perhaps the seller and bidder are working together and should be reported to EBay.

When I EBay, I set a max price that I would be comfortable paying for the item and I frequently bid it early in the process. Hopefully I won't get ripped off or shilled, but in the end if I win for a price that was comfortable when I bid it, then I got the product for an acceptable price.

Sometimes it's not worth getting all worked up over a few bucks.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-03 1:41 PM (#130743 - in reply to #130734)

Robbie, you can never bid more than you are willing to pay.
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-11-03 3:44 PM (#130744 - in reply to #130734)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
Or....Don't bid until the last possible moment. Be online at the end of the auction and place your max bid 30 seconds before.
This is THE way to bid!! Get a watch with a second hand and time the auction carefully. Confirm your bid with 15 seconds left.

Also, check the feedback of the seller very carefully before you do any bidding.
beatlejuice53
Posted 2005-11-03 4:43 PM (#130745 - in reply to #130734)

I guess I am a "sniper". I always place my bid with 5 or less seconds left. I bid the most I am willing to pay. If I win,good.If not,I cannot complain. It makes me stick too my max bid. I don't leave enough time for anyone to bid the price up,or for me to raise my max.For me to lose an auction, someone has to bid more than my max(either before or after I bid). I just figure they wanted it more than I did. I have been second highest on occasion.
There was one auction that I did not bid on a while back,though. For one thing,the price was very close to my max,already. And second,who I would be bidding against.I had to believe if I bid my max,I would only be raising the buying price for the buyer. That sure was a pretty guitar (Custom Elite-12),though. Have you still got it, Dave?
Bill
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-03 4:53 PM (#130746 - in reply to #130734)

Let me echo it again, wait until the last 30 (or better yet 10) seconds of the auction, then bid your max price. If you bid earlier you only help jack the price up and get in these games with other bidders.

I have won many auctions at good prices by waiting until the last seconds before bidding.
OldLiverJones
Posted 2005-11-03 5:11 PM (#130747 - in reply to #130734)

I bid in the last 30 seconds of an auction and there were two bids higher than mine in the last few seconds. I lost the item.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-03 5:15 PM (#130748 - in reply to #130734)

You guys are correct. That's the way ya do it. The highest award on ebay is Master Sniper. The greastest achievment is to win by a penny, with one second left.
OldLiverJones
Posted 2005-11-03 5:25 PM (#130749 - in reply to #130734)

Usually you can't increase the bid in increments of 1 penny.
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-11-03 5:50 PM (#130750 - in reply to #130734)

Originally posted by OldLiverJones:
Usually you can't increase the bid in increments of 1 penny.
Not completely correct.

Although the increments are in dollars, or sometimes five dollars, a bidder can bid any amount over the minimum increment. For example, if the highest existing bid is $300 with a minimum increment of $5, a bidder can bid $305.01 and beat out someone else that bid $305.00 by one penny. It's a good strategy to bid that way because a tie at the end of bidding goes to the first bid at that amount.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-03 5:51 PM (#130751 - in reply to #130734)

It's not the increment, it's the total. If you bid $23.76 over the existing bid, and the other bidder submits a bid of $23.75 over the existing bid, you win.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-03 6:19 PM (#130752 - in reply to #130734)

This is why American productivity is down by 25% since the advent of the internet. Everybody is on ebay when we should be working.
I'm an ebay dunce. I have a job that generally precludes me from watching my bids until the last 30 seconds. I have lost several auctions because of that, but I've grown used to it. I've only "won" twice and both times it was because I screwed up. The second time, on my Ultra GS, I looked for an ebay policy that allowed you to retract your bid if you made it while talking on the telephone on a Friday night after getting drunk at Hooters, but couldn't find any such policy. Turns out I like the guitar and it was probably worth the $200 it cost me. Since then I've adopted my own policy of offering what I think it's worth to me and leaving it. Turns out I always think it's worth less than somebody else does. That and I haven't been back to Hooters since. Maybe I should give up ebay and spend more time at Hooters. Good idea. Bye.
cruster
Posted 2005-11-03 7:35 PM (#130753 - in reply to #130734)

This is why American productivity is down by 25% since the advent of the internet. Everybody is on ebay when we should be working.
I thought it was because through the 80s and 90s, right up until the present, highly (over)compensated management slashed staffing levels by 33%.

(g,d&r)
OldLiverJones
Posted 2005-11-03 7:44 PM (#130754 - in reply to #130734)

I hear profits are up at Hooters. The owners are thinking about opening a club with all male waiters and calling it Peckers. I wonder what that is about.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-03 7:51 PM (#130755 - in reply to #130734)

They should have plenty of business.
alpep
Posted 2005-11-03 11:52 PM (#130756 - in reply to #130734)

e bay. I love to hate it yet I do much business on it.

Back when I started on e bay about 7 or 8 years ago it was a far more honorable place. No unpaid items without a legitimate excuse etc.

NOw that any bozon (bozo + moron = bozon) that has cable modem and a 299 e machine can buy sell shill and cheat on e bay. If you can be cheater rest assure they will figure out a way. Both buyers AND sellers.

From experience I can tell you that trust and sales on e bay have fallen because of these problems and because of confusion and the e bay ownership of pay pal. Sure pay pal works for most but when it fails it falls hard.

First point is e bay is not an auction. It is a pantomine of what an auction actually is.

second people treat e bay as if they are buying from a store with a return policy etc. Assume that you are not and if this is a concern of yours read the auction and or contact the seller before bidding.

third best price is not always the best deal.

fourth deal with people you feel you can trust. Even a long time e bay veteran like myself has been ripped off.

fifth if you are unsure in anyway DO NOT BID

Unfortunately when you open a site like e bay up to the masses it also opens it up to scammers. This is very unfortunate but it is a fact. when I was dealing with mostly people in the high tech industry in the late 90's and early 2000's there was a higher level of customer and client. Now instead of a yard sale people sell on e bay and it clouds the issue. there are a ton of good buyers and good sellers unfortunately syncing them up is not always easy.
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-04 12:50 AM (#130757 - in reply to #130734)

The cardinal rules of Ebay:

(1) Only make deals via auctions and paypal, never deal on the side, be wary of 2nd chance offers and never even consider offers made "on the side" independant of an auction.

(2) Always pay with a charge card and then use paypal. You can always dispute a charge with your credit card company if you get ripped off. Money orders are not iron-clad, they can bounce a week after you deposit them.

(3) To me a seller or buyer who responds promptly to my emails means more to me than good feedback. Any dope can buy a few books or CD's and get positive feedback. Legitimate sellers usually respond promptly to inquiries. Nothing pisses me off more than an Ebay'er who ignores my emails for days-on-end.
BruDeV
Posted 2005-11-04 1:07 AM (#130758 - in reply to #130734)

If you get a suspicious eBay email FORWARD it to:

spoof@ebay.com

for PayPal:

spoof@paypal.com
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)