The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The Concert for Bangla Desh DVD

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Artist
Posted 2005-11-08 10:15 PM (#130186)
Subject: The Concert for Bangla Desh DVD

Just great, wonderful!
I just got the new DVD "Concert for Bangla Desh", it brought back so many memories.
George Harrison, Clapton, Ringo, Leon, Preston, Dylan, Badfinger, etc. live at the Madison Square Garden; man, talk about an event.
George, Dylan, Badfinger, all acoustic guitars playing unplugged, with a full band, I mean; when George starts "My Sweet Lord" solo on his acoustic guitar miked, you think he will get drowned by the band, but no; he sounds great, "Here comes the sun" is just wonderful, all acoustic.
The first event of its kind, plus the pack includes a second DVD with many extras, interviews and rehearsals.
Highly recommended.

"...the Lord is awaiting on you all to awaking and see..."

I miss George so much... :( :cool: :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2005-11-08 10:29 PM (#130187 - in reply to #130186)
Subject: Re: The Concert for Bangla Desh DVD

I've been meaning to pick that up!!

I can rememmber being a high school freshman and standing amongst the crowd outside of the Garden TRYING to get a ticket (my parents woulda' killed me if they ever found out), and then waiting in line at Bamberger's (which became Macy's) to buy the 3-disc album when it was first released.

Great Show!

I gotta go pick it up tomorrow
(thanks for reminding me, Serge!;-)

btw:
"Concert for George" is a great one too, if you've never seen it. (The guitar "EyeCandy" alone is worth it).
elduave
Posted 2005-11-08 11:30 PM (#130188 - in reply to #130186)

+ infinty on both those DVD's. I never realized how much I loved George's stuff...
BIG O
Posted 2005-11-08 11:53 PM (#130189 - in reply to #130186)

"Why live in the darkness all your life? If you are unhappy, look for the light within". -George Harrison
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-11-08 11:57 PM (#130190 - in reply to #130186)

I wore out my vinyl... that album truly awakened me. I went and saw the original film at least 5 times when it first came out. I can't wait to see the DVD. George was underappreciated as a Beatle, and emerged as a great talent during his solo career. He was underappreciated as a guitarist while he was alive, and now his legend continues to grow. It wouldn't surprise me if in 15 years the polls show him to be the greatest guitarist of all time. Not the fastest, not the flashiest, but everything he played just seems to be a perfect fit. I also remember him for his patronage that essentially kick started independent film production in the UK, and his patronage that enabled Janet Guthrie to be the first woman to race in the Indy 500. And for all that, he was happiest just working in his garden.

"Life goes on within you and without you".
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-09 2:02 AM (#130191 - in reply to #130186)

I think Harrison had plenty of fans, though not as much fab media exposure as the frontmen. I'll bet he grew some good herbs in that garden of his.
Mitchrx
Posted 2005-11-09 4:23 AM (#130192 - in reply to #130186)

The royalties for the DVD go to charity. An added incentive to buy the DVD (new).

That concert was the hardest event ever to get tickets for. When tickets went on sale, only about a month or two before the concert, there were only rumours of special guests. Dylan and Clapton were never publically disclosed as guests before the show. Listen to the surprised audience reaction when Dylan in announced by George. The movie was a huge hit ;) with young people, kind of like the Woodstock movie.

For anyone too young to be able to remember this concert, it was the first of it's kind and the best ever. I saw the film only once when it came out 33 years years ago and I still remember the performances.

This is a true "must have" DVD.
Jeff
Posted 2005-11-09 9:16 AM (#130193 - in reply to #130186)

Thanks for the reminder, Serge! That was an awesome show.

And Cliff is right on about "Concert for George," too. It's a phenomenal DVD. Great performances by everyone involved, and like Cliff said, there's lots of guitar "eye candy." But, have some tissue near by just in case. It was a very poignant event and the emotion of it was captured vividly on the DVD. The music, the memories and the obvious love everyone on the stage (and in the audience) feels for George is overwhelming.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-09 9:26 AM (#130194 - in reply to #130186)

Wow!
I should get my 20-yr-old daughter to read this thread and see how "right" I am . . .

. . . it'd be a refreshing change.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-11-09 10:53 AM (#130195 - in reply to #130186)

I got the Bangla-Desh DVD a week ago...GREAT. Lots of extra footage and outtakes. I had never seen the movie before, so it was cool to see Billy Preston do his dance across the stage at the end of "That's The Way God Planned It".

Also neat to see George play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with first-position chords just like I do....

Roger
dstan
Posted 2005-11-09 5:35 PM (#130196 - in reply to #130186)

Its a great reminder of just how amazing a drummer Ringo can be...every bit as under appreciated as George was, unfortunately.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-09 6:35 PM (#130197 - in reply to #130186)

If y'look close enough, you can see the "secret" behind Ringo's distinctive sound - he covers the drum heads with tea towels to give 'em a muted, "thud" sound . . .
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-11-09 6:42 PM (#130198 - in reply to #130186)

people have suggested that I stuff tea towels in my soundhole(s)...

must be sumthin' to it....
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-09 7:45 PM (#130199 - in reply to #130186)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
people have suggested that I stuff tea towels in my soundhole(s)...

must be sumthin' to it....
You sure that's not piehole?
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-11-09 7:55 PM (#130200 - in reply to #130186)

:o
dstan
Posted 2005-11-09 7:57 PM (#130201 - in reply to #130186)

Originally posted by cliff:
If y'look close enough, you can see the "secret" behind Ringo's distinctive sound - he covers the drum heads with tea towels to give 'em a muted, "thud" sound . . .
That explains the sound he got on Abbey Road, especially the little solo on side 2...
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-09 8:00 PM (#130202 - in reply to #130186)

Sorry, JW, couldn't help myself. Feel free to return the shot when one opens up. Should be momentarily if I know me.
Prairie Dog
Posted 2005-11-10 12:16 AM (#130203 - in reply to #130186)

George Harrison was blessed with immense talent and had a wonderful soul. I spent many hours over the course of many years listening to the record set of The Concert for Bangla Desh. For George Harrison fans, a recommendation is the 2004 released boxed set "The Dark Horse Years 1976-1992" which includes individual copies of all albums released during the period plus a DVD including performances from "Live in Japan" with Eric Clapton's band of the period. The DVD is available by itself as are all the individual CDs. There is of course so much more music to talk about that he recorded, but these stand out. Still difficult to believe he's gone and remember being in New York for the AES convention which was delayed 'til November in 2001. Hearing the news of his passing; went to Strawberry Fields and joined the rest of the mourners and just considered his musical gifts to the world he loved. George's autobiography from 1980, "I, Me, Mine" is a great read. I could not help but also notice the post regarding Ringo. Absolutely correct. He, too is immensely blessed with great talent. His most recent albums have been a lot of fun and filled with the genius of Mark Hudson; any of you remember The Hudson Brothers? A great DVD is available which is a live concert of his last Ringo's All Starr Band 2003 tour which included that year's band: Colin Hay, Paul Carrack, John Waite, Sheila Escovedo, and long time friend, Mark Rivera. Ringo and Sheila E sit side by side at full drum sets and he keeps up with her. I have seen many Ringo's All Starrs tours. He's taken a couple of years off from that, but have my hopes up for another. "The Concert for George" is a great tribute, too, especially the Tom Petty performance of Taxman.
Rasmuth
Posted 2005-11-10 3:39 PM (#130204 - in reply to #130186)

Leon Russell is killer during the Bangaladesh show...
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 3:59 PM (#130205 - in reply to #130186)

The postman just dropped off a package from Amazon.com (which I ordered using my elitest laptop and my snobbish Amazon account).

I was inspired by this thread to order the DVD. I'll have a look tonight. Thanks for reminding me of a great performance by some great artists.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-15 4:16 PM (#130206 - in reply to #130186)

The 45-min. documentary on the second disk is almost better than the concert film . . . lotsa stuff on it!!

D'you get the deluxe "box" version?
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 4:22 PM (#130207 - in reply to #130186)

It doesnt say "deluxe" on the box or order, but it's a nice orange box with a small book and two disks. Paid something like $21 bucks at Amazon.
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-17 7:58 AM (#130208 - in reply to #130186)

I finally got to watch the concert and the documentary, both very good. I can’t believe that this is the first time I have seen this concert after all these years. It seems like only yesterday this concert was the buzz of the rock world, where have all the years gone?

I felt a little sorry for George Harrison, he seemed kind of stressed out, but he did a great job of pulling things together. He sounded great on all of his songs as well. Clapton was spot-on but classically understated.

I thought Bob Dylan stole the show. He sounded pretty darn good, even for Bob Dylan. How cool to have George Harrison and Leon Russell playing bass and guitar for you and leaning over your shoulder singing backing vocals.

I also felt pretty bad for Badfinger. All they seemed to do was sit in the background with acoustic guitars. They did'nt even get introduced by their names. (Peter Ham did join George Harrison for "here comes the Sun"). A bit of a shame, I think Badfinger was one of the most fantastic bands of that era, vastly under-rated and overlooked.

I highly recommend the Bangladesh DVD, worth the money, I am sure I'll want to see it many more times. Thanks for reminding me about this concert.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-17 8:10 AM (#130209 - in reply to #130186)

". . I felt a little sorry for George Harrison, he seemed kind of stressed out . . ."
Considering that HE was the Beatle that hated touring the most, this probably wasn't something he was looking forward to (although, it probably didn't hurt "AllThingsMustPass" sales). When it got to the 11th hour, Dylan (when he realized the "scope" of the whole thing) freaked-out and said "Man, I don't think I can do this . . this isn't my "scene". Harrison's response was "Well, . . this isn't MY "SCENE", either!"

". . Clapton was classically understated . ."
According to his commentary on the documentary, he was just f@cked-up on Smack. :D
alpep
Posted 2005-11-17 8:30 AM (#130210 - in reply to #130186)

JOhn Lennon was also asked to do the show and sent a regret. As I understand George really took that hard and did not speak to him for a long time
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)