The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
The Concert for Bangla Desh DVD

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2005-11-17 10:59 AM (#130211 - in reply to #130186)
Subject: Re: The Concert for Bangla Desh DVD

Too bad Lennon didn't appear. I think he would have stolen the show.

That was the first "Live Aid" concert.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rasmuth
Posted 2005-12-29 12:53 PM (#130212 - in reply to #130186)

I decided to resurrect this topic because I got the DVD set for Christmas and watched it yesterday...

My opinions of this show are as follows....

-The Ravi Shanker stuff was more interesting than I remember (used to listen to the album when my mother played it)

-Overall George Harrison did a very nice job on his tracks...

-Very disappointed with Eric Clapton...he was...well just pretty poor...not a good show for him

-Bob Dylan was very good...but boy...a big reminder that songwriting was his strength...he loves to stretch the limit of singing off-key

-Leon Russell's set was fabulous...to me the highlight of the show...he was nothing short of spectacular...and he seemed very comfortable

-Ringo Starr was great too...(noticed the towels over the drums)...he played great and did a nice rendition of "It don't come Easy"...nice to see him sing while playing

-I don't know who the guitar player for the solos were during Leon Russel's set(played a Gibson Explorer)...(wasn't Jesse Ed Davis)...he kicked ass...head's over heels the best solo playing of the show

-Billy Preston, Jim Keltner, Klauss Voorman, Badfinger and everyone else involved did a very admirable job on such short notice...

It was very enjoyable to watch and so groundbreaking for the time....
cliff
Posted 2005-12-29 1:16 PM (#130213 - in reply to #130186)

Don Preston was the other guitarist - he was from Leon's band.

If you watch the "documentary" disc, Clapton admits that he just made it too hard for himself.
He hadn't played live in some time, he was unrehearsed, and for some reason, he decided to use a big, fat Gibson hollowbody . . .
. . . it was the Smack talking(playing).
If y'watch that bit of footage during the soundcheck, he lights a cigarette and almost fell over backwards onto his ass . . .

Jesse Ed Davis was there because Harrison hired him at the last minute to fill-in for Clapton (who missed three days worth of trans-Atlantic flights).
alpep
Posted 2005-12-29 2:32 PM (#130214 - in reply to #130186)

bought the dvd for suzi for christmas. I can't wait to watch it. also bought her the isle of wright dvd WOW what a mess that show was. it makes woodstock look like a picnic
Englishplayer
Posted 2005-12-29 2:41 PM (#130215 - in reply to #130186)

This is a great dvd. Considering the age, the sound quality is much better than I was expecting. I'd always heard the story that George invited John, and John replied WE will be performing together, and George said no to Yoko on stage, so John declined. Of course, this story could be another false Yoko bashing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)