The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Takamine Cool-Tube

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Omaha
Posted 2005-11-12 5:21 PM (#129887)
Subject: Takamine Cool-Tube

Anyone have any thoughts on the Takamine Cool-Tube pre-amp? I haven't had a chance to play one plugged in, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Can a tube really have much effect if it is run at a very low power? Wouldn't the setup eat batteries like crazy?

Just wondering...

Cheers!

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-12 5:48 PM (#129888 - in reply to #129887)
Subject: Re: Takamine Cool-Tube

I heard one played through a PA at an open-mic. It sounded great to my ears, so great I was interested in buying one......then I saw the prices. Too bad they are so pricey. I just cant see spending over a grand for a Tak.

I read the brochure and they say it is a special low-power tube so it doesnt eat batteries like crazy. But I'd guess it goes through batteries quicker than an OP-Pro.

But again I recall it was a great plugged-in sound.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-11-12 6:27 PM (#129889 - in reply to #129887)

Our Own Matt Smith played one at the clinics he did here a few month ago. It is a very nice pre-amp, with a very warm sound. here's the deal; the cool tube pre-amp also has a multiple pick up option, and the ability to "mix" them like a mic and piezo or pickup (tri-ax) and piezo. That's what really makes it sound so nice. A properly EQ'd OP-Pro into a tube pre amp sounds nice too without the battery issues (phantom powered). It's a standard 12AU7 tube used in the pre amp stage of many guitar amps, only it's biased not to draw allot of current. With the supply limited to 3v it's barely turned on. Batteries are not a huge issue for it.
Omaha
Posted 2005-11-13 2:32 PM (#129890 - in reply to #129887)

What is the extent of development integration and cooperation between different Kaman music divisions? Does Ovation have any kind of relationship with Takamine? Any chance that Takamine technology will find its way into Ovations, or vice-versa?

Cheers!

Jeff
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-13 2:44 PM (#129891 - in reply to #129887)

Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KRF are all owned by Pepsi Cola. The relationship is financial only. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-11-13 2:50 PM (#129892 - in reply to #129887)

re: "development integration and cooperation between different Kaman music divisions?

I would suggest that any information (if any) on this subject would be Kaman's annual report (printed on recycled paper) or do a Google for kaman annual report. In addition, can pull up 2005 Third Quarter results.

Does this really tell you much based on your question? No.

With the OP-Pro and ? OP-Pro Studio, doubt if Kaman would pay Takamine for use.
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-13 4:06 PM (#129893 - in reply to #129887)

I wouldn't doubt that there's an inherent value in keeping competing lines relatively separate and distinct. And while I love the plugged in sound of a lot of O's, I have heard the Tak Tube's and they have a great sound as well (to me anyway - I guess that's why I own one of each, although my Tak is pre-Tube).

'Course I've been accused of being too easy more than once too...
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-11-13 4:23 PM (#129894 - in reply to #129887)

...snicker...
BruDeV
Posted 2005-11-13 4:50 PM (#129895 - in reply to #129887)

Seems to me that an external tube pre-amp would do the same thing. Maybe one like this:

ART TPS
Beal
Posted 2005-11-13 4:54 PM (#129896 - in reply to #129887)

Tak is their own company. Kaman has a small (single digit)token ownership interest. KMC does the distribution for the US along with the Marketing and does the sales for Europe. Tak does the rest of the world.
I've got one of the Nashville guitars with the cool tube, it's nice but I like the OP-24 better. I got the Baggs aux pickup and it adds another dimension but clamping it to the top kills some sound. These guitars are solid top, back and sides and really sound pretty good. Yes they are high, listing for just over $3000. Then again I guess we all know that all the really good guitars are expensive.....wonder why Ovation doesn't have an expensive one????
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-11-13 5:27 PM (#129897 - in reply to #129887)

I did happen to overhear one unamed endorsee grilling a Kaman rep for one from the parts department for a "project". The way Tak markets their "sound choice" options, you should be able to buy a gutiar with the CTP-1, then order another pre-amp like the DSP unit. You cannot order the CTP-1 outright. I'm told, er heard that they will only go with new guitars, or if you send your Tak in for an upgrade. Still, it would br pretty easy to get one and a Triax. The real trick would be getting the mothership to router your bowl to accept it and to put an RCA plug on the end of the cable for the OPP. ;)

Now that I've explained all that, I wouldn't do it. :D You'd get all same benifits from a good tube pre-amp, say the one in the Genz-Benz Shen Pro. You can improve the plugged in sound of ANY guitar, mic, or instrument with a good preamp. Some guitars don't sound so good unplugged and *need* this help when plugged in too. How sad.
Omaha
Posted 2005-11-13 11:48 PM (#129898 - in reply to #129887)

Originally posted by cwk2:
These guitars are solid top, back and sides and really sound pretty good. Yes they are high, listing for just over $3000. Then again I guess we all know that all the really good guitars are expensive.....wonder why Ovation doesn't have an expensive one????
Are the high end Tak's worth the money? My GAS is drifting toward a TNV460SC. Heresy, I suppose, but I have to be honest with myself.

The "Cool Tube" is, well, cool, but I also like the guitar itself. Thoughts?

Cheers!

Jeff
Beal
Posted 2005-11-14 2:48 PM (#129899 - in reply to #129887)

Jeff,
Go listen and play one and then decide. I'd say that they are worth it. If you mostly want acoustic there might be other options for the 3 grand, Collings, Santa Clause(ok that's a cruise joke) Breedlove, Froggy bottom and on from there.

Just remember that friends don't let friends play Taylors.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-14 3:11 PM (#129900 - in reply to #129887)

". . friends don't let friends play Taylors . ."

:D
an4340
Posted 2005-11-14 3:30 PM (#129901 - in reply to #129887)

Just one point, the FET preamp on my 1624, to my ears, "warms" the sound like the "cool" tube. I really know nothing about amps except to send electricity thru them ... or were these just excellent preamps?

It would seem to me that if you could put a FET preamp in your chain you might get the same effect.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

As for whether the Takamines are cool guitars, well, according to the book, if my memory serves me, Takamine out Martined Martin, and Kaman, thru serendipity, was able to partner with Takamine. I have a friend who swears by them. For me, they're OK. But you never know 'till you've played one for a while. The cool tube or the FET will definitely add something to your sound. I prefer this kind of effect to digitized effects.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)