The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1234
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Guitar Center -- bah

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2005-11-15 9:40 AM (#129746 - in reply to #129696)
Subject: Re: Guitar Center -- bah

ebay existed pre pay pal and it will exist after pay pal
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-15 9:49 AM (#129747 - in reply to #129696)

Just to be clear - everything I have posted here relates to ebay auctions with unknown buyers/sellers. I have no problem giving my credit card over the phone to legitimate businesses like Al. Or to waitresses with exposed hooters. Dave
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-15 9:51 AM (#129748 - in reply to #129696)

I think Paypal will exist as long as Ebay does. Ebay owns Paypal. The company gets a piece of every transaction, every step of the way.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-15 9:52 AM (#129749 - in reply to #129696)

Geez Randy. It's not an issue where the moral fiber of the republic is at stake. Get off your high horse.
You will concede that there is fraud and scams on e-bay...right? Remember Hector? Is it okay that someone would only do business, where there is a level of risk, within a certain comfort level? By your remarks, when someone asks to see your drivers license number when you cash a check you should be outraged that your honesty is being questioned ...when you pay with a check at Sam's Club and they run it through a verification service you should be livid that they would want to see if you have had a history of passing bad checks. How dare they judge you!
You mentioned about how everyone should be given the opportunity to do the right thing. Does that mean I should leave my car door unlocked with my guitar in the front seat so I can give someone the opportunity to do the right thing and leave it alone? Do you lock the doors to your house at night? You have likened a "PayPal" only policy as an obvious "character flaw". Are the other examples also a flaw?
You have based your arguments on "uppercrust / uppity folk" vs the "lesser / dirty" type. These devisive, stereotypical descriptions all have come from you. And, although he does not need my defense, you have gone and made it personal and impuned the character of someone you do not even know. Such attacks usually speaks more to the person making the comments than the intended target itself.
PayPal is just a way some people preffer to do informal business with each other. Big deal. It's does not speak to the issue of prejudice and moral values or the lack there of. Why it pushed your hot button and turned on the sarcasim machine, I don't know.
And for me,trips the post office are few and far between.
alpep
Posted 2005-11-15 10:18 AM (#129750 - in reply to #129696)

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
I think Paypal will exist as long as Ebay does. Ebay owns Paypal. The company gets a piece of every transaction, every step of the way.
I do not agree.
there are some functions of pay pal that are contrary to the way credit cards service is set up. some day they will get sued or the feds will come down on them and it will be over.
pay pal acts like a bank and they are not
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-15 10:19 AM (#129751 - in reply to #129696)

Dave, Brad and Al, thank you for your glimpses of sanity in this thread. I wasn't going to get into this, but Randy, maybe you should leave the 'dope' out of more than just your sig. What business is it of yours how people conduct business on Ebay?
You accuse Brian (whom you don't know) of holding attitudes that you are the only one espousing here. Bigotry, racism, elitism? Because he doesn't want to risk his money doing business the way you think he should? I suppose banks are racist and elitist because they won't loan money to someone with bad credit?
You keep going back to Brian's 'bottom of the economic barrel' statement. I won't go into how typical it is for a certain segment of our society to go ballistic at statements like that. Hello? IT'S THE TRUTH. Some people have money and some people don't. Some people are scammers and some people aren't. If you want to gamble your money to find out, that's your business. Who are you to judge those that choose not to?

And finally, let's not forget whose broad-minded, fair, balanced statement set this conversation into motion:

Originally posted by northcountry:
My real problem is all the idiots who sell on ebay that only accept Paypal only as a payment option????? How stupid is this??????????????
Money is Money, what is the hurry? Why would anyone limit those who may want to bid by not accepting all normal forms of payment.
To answer your polite question... because they choose to. And you can certainly choose not to business with them. THAT is your available form of protest, not trash-talking members of this forum because you disagree with it.
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 10:34 AM (#129752 - in reply to #129696)

Thanks guys, it's nice to have friends. I was starting to think I really was a bad person.
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-15 10:36 AM (#129753 - in reply to #129696)

Cause you hang out with a guy who wears fishnets? Naw...
an4340
Posted 2005-11-15 10:57 AM (#129754 - in reply to #129696)

From my experience the Bim likes to be tipped in cash. She'll remember you next time.

Speaking of cash, I had one dude send me an envelope stuffed with cash by mail for his purchase. I really prefer PayPal. I wondered why he trusted me so much, it would've been so easy to say, no, never got the cash. I sent the item to him. But that's setting yourself up for a disappointment.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-15 10:59 AM (#129755 - in reply to #129696)

There are those who do business (as in dabble here and there), and there are those who are IN business on e-bay. PayPal may serve one better than the other.
Steve
Posted 2005-11-15 11:16 AM (#129756 - in reply to #129696)

Well, when it comes down to it all, ebay and paypal and money orders, etc, are only as honest as the people who use them...I pay for small ebay purchases with a postal money order by certified mail, and large ebay purchase by certified bank wires, which get there immediately. I inform the sellers in advance, and if they don't want my business they can cancel my bid, simple...

Steve
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-15 11:20 AM (#129757 - in reply to #129696)

I'm not defending Paypal, by any means, and I don't care who uses the service, or does not use it. Al, what are you disagreeing to? Ebay owns Paypal. They work hand in hand. Yes, they are monopolistic, but then, so is Microsoft, the NFL, and the film industry. I don't see the feds stopping them. As for the credit card companies, they are some of the worst, most crooked finacial manipulaters on the planet, but we do business with them. We have to. The revenues of Ebay, Exxon, General Electric, or what have you, are enormous, and, therefore, they can do whatever the heck they want to. They've got the gold. I don't like Paypal, or Microsoft, but I use Windows XP to make online payments via Paypal. I'll send a money order if I have to. Cheers
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 11:28 AM (#129758 - in reply to #129696)

Steve commented "I pay for small ebay purchases with a postal money order by certified mail, and large ebay purchase by certified bank wires"

But wouldn’t a bank transfer require the other party to have a bank account?
What about the poor skid-row bum with no address trying to sell his Collins Dread?
Or the poor Indonesian street urchin who wants to sell his Adamas Slothead?

Don’t you see that requiring them to have a bank account oppresses their right to be poor and disadvantaged? The United Nations needs to pass a referendum protecting the rights of the poor and disadvantaged to scam the elitist western Paypal-using nations!

After all, it's our fault they are poor! If we did not thwart their entrepreneurial projects to scam us wealthy westerners, (by using Paypal) maybe they wouldn’t be so poor! We are a bunch of heartless greedy bastards!

By the way Randy, all of my auctions are US ONLY!! NO INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS!!
Steve
Posted 2005-11-15 11:31 AM (#129759 - in reply to #129696)

...that was all 'tongue in cheek' right?...
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 11:42 AM (#129760 - in reply to #129696)

Oh no, let me guess, Steve is from Indonesia or his best friend is a skid row bum and now I've offended him! Sorry Steve!

Of course I am being sarcastic!

My point is that the people who object the most to processes that thwart crime are usually the criminal’s themslves!!! (or at least people very sympathetic to criminals)

It's just like the need for a National ID card or surveillance cameras, the people who object the loudest are usually the people with something to hide!

Oh-oh....now I've gone and done it!
Northcountry
Posted 2005-11-15 12:11 PM (#129761 - in reply to #129696)

Perhaps not but it sure is some funny shit!

I think Brian would make a great spokesman for Ebay & Paypal?

Life is so damned short, we barely have time to live it and sneak in a passion or two, like music. Don't waste time like I just did, it tires you out and it just annoys the pig.
Randy
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 12:13 PM (#129762 - in reply to #129696)

Oynk! I think I'm annoyed.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-15 12:54 PM (#129763 - in reply to #129696)

I can't remember if I'm for, or against it. I forgot what it was we were talking about. Anybody got a program?
Northcountry
Posted 2005-11-15 1:04 PM (#129764 - in reply to #129696)

Now that's funny!

I think what happened was Brian lost another guitar sale because he would not let some kid send him cash?

But I could be wrong I often am

Randy
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-15 1:07 PM (#129765 - in reply to #129696)

No more offers to mediate. You need a referee. I keep checking to see if there is something about Guitar Center in this thread.
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-15 1:12 PM (#129766 - in reply to #129696)

Personally, I will never accept a third party, cosigned severence check from the former brother-in-law of a former Enron employee ever again!
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-15 1:27 PM (#129767 - in reply to #129696)

"I keep checking to see if there is something about Guitar Center in this thread"

The discussion about Guitar Center moved to the "Ovation & Guitar Center -- An Alternative View" thread. We are discussing great topics of a critical social nature here.

So who here supports giving the Hooters waitress their Visa card?
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-15 1:31 PM (#129768 - in reply to #129696)

Only if she lets me swipe it myself.
Steve
Posted 2005-11-15 2:40 PM (#129769 - in reply to #129696)

Hey BrianT, I'm cool with your sentiments, it's just been a long thread and I didn't want to miss the context of it all...I'm not a big ebayer but I know an ebay business is whole new ball game in comparison with just being a casual buyer...I was told by one seller that sending him a postal money order was sufficient, that I didn't have to bother with the certified mail/return receipt...but, better safe than sorry...I've known buyers who got scammed buying fishing lures/bait and tackle, and ebay wouldn't do anything about it...so,I don't think I could handle losing hundreds on a guitar...

Steve
Northcountry
Posted 2005-11-15 5:57 PM (#129770 - in reply to #129696)

Amazing Steve! Once again it's the bidders that get scammed more often than the sellers, you mentioned this yourself, yet my point seems to elude some in this thread??? Curious...??? confusing?????
Steve;
this guy would not only, "NOT" let you bid on his auctions because you have no paypal account. But he feels your at the IN HIS OWN WORDS WORDS.....The Bottom of the econimic barrel because you have no Paypal account......yet your "cool with his sentiments" I am a seller also have been for longer than Brian have perfect feedback and would be happy to do business with you and would not expect you to have to ever email me for permission to send a money order...........I am baffeled.....and at a total logical loss.................................. You win Brian! Paypal is the only payment I will accept from now on and yes people who do not have paypal accounts are dirt! They seem to like being insulted???
Like I always say I could be wrong I often am.

Randy
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)