The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Ovation & Guitar Center -- An Alternative View

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Prairie Dog
Posted 2005-11-15 12:46 PM (#129625 - in reply to #129600)
Subject: Re: Ovation & Guitar Center -- An Alternative View

Yeah, I kinda did what Groucho asked for; that was a lot of information. It's nice to know that some of you get it and see the bigger picture regarding retail music. I spent way too many years in retail MI and Pro Audio (where I still am, but at a really different level) and look at stores no matter what they are selling with a critical eye and curiousity as to what it is that makes them successful or not. You are right, Brian, about the "vibe" which is what they call it at GC; that's all on purpose, by the way. Add the music from the store's system to the drum kits, basses, electric guitar, constant blaring phone pages, and DJ demos and it's enough to send a 55 year old guy like me screaming for the door to listen to the more relaxing sounds of Virgin 747s bringing in loads of tourists from Japan and England to keep our Las Vegas economy stimulated. But, that too, is part of the formula. "Research has proven" that the noise level and sense of a constant party puts the target customer into the buying mood. Amen brother to you, too, Tim on unplugged Ovations. I love my 2005 Collector's unplugged. Rivals the D-35 unplugged! I'm still looking for an older deep bowl Legend without electronics as most of my playing is without amps. You know, sitting on the deck playing "I'll Fly Away"! Yes, Brian and Mark, I too, have purchased several high-end guitars, including the 2005 Collector's from GC. Well, Arf for now, then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-15 1:28 PM (#129626 - in reply to #129600)

Is the noise level really a sales tool? I asked our GC guy, who I have come to know well, to turn off the humidifiers in the acoustic room, so I could listen to some guitars. He told me they are always on and no one had ever asked him to do that before. But he did it.
For the most part, the kids there are great and I have fun being the old geezer who gives them a hard time. That's part of being an old geezer. I'm not as old as Prairie Dog, it turns out.
My favorite Groucho Marx quote is when he told the woman who had 10 kids, "I love my cigars, but I take them out of my mouth once in awhile." Supposedly, he got sued over that one.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-15 1:36 PM (#129627 - in reply to #129600)

He didn't get sued.
He got thrown off the air (from "You Bet Your Life").
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-15 3:02 PM (#129628 - in reply to #129600)

Well, actually, there's some controversy about whether he ever said it at all, but if he did it was likely before the show went to tv.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-15 3:15 PM (#129629 - in reply to #129600)

". . Well, y'seem like a lovely couple'n I hope y'win a lotta money . ."
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-15 3:35 PM (#129630 - in reply to #129600)

...that he said almost every week... :D
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-15 5:00 PM (#129631 - in reply to #129600)

I'm no kid but I gotta say I'm feeling younger the longer this thread goes on.

Think I'll go out and run a...or I could just sit here, grab a cold one and think about it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)