The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
GC & Custom Elite Contour

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-16 11:36 AM (#129574 - in reply to #129549)
Subject: Re: GC & Custom Elite Contour

Well, we have kind of drifted away from GC and his Elite but this talk about performance anxiety and mistakes is interesting.
When BrianT and I started playing Folkin' Fridays we would cram to have 3 new songs ready to go each month. For the most part we reached our goal....barely. Each time it was a nerve racker because it would be the first time we played them outside of a practice situation. The 10 months we did that really helped to develope a set-list but we have sinced change our strategy. We have decided that if we cannot play the song, be comfortable and have fun with it, it stays in the practice sessions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-16 11:42 AM (#129575 - in reply to #129549)

Once the song starts, you don't stop, ever. If there is a mistake, work through it. That's show business. Most often, only the musicians know there is something wrong. By the the time the song ends the errors have been forgotten.
cliff
Posted 2005-11-16 11:47 AM (#129576 - in reply to #129549)

". . Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring (Bach tune) . ."

Moody;
Get yerself a copy of the first Windham Hill "A Winter's Solstice" CD (circa. 1986 or so).
David Qualey does a brilliant rendition of that song. I think he copped the arrangement from a George Winston piano version, but Qualey's version is good enough to make you wanna boot your guitar out into the snow (if y'HAD snow).
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-11-16 12:21 PM (#129577 - in reply to #129549)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
I've watched Glen live over the years and have learned that it's ok to screw up. Just don't make a big deal out of it and keep going. A lot of players live in mortal fear of mistakes.
My problem is I'm so shocked when I'm not screwing up that I forget what I'm supposedly doing so well and and screw up, which then causes me to concentrate really hard, so I do better for awhile, then the whole cycle repeats over again..... :D
ChatMan
Posted 2005-11-16 1:07 PM (#129578 - in reply to #129549)

My biggest problem is when playing songs that I really like. At some point in the song I'll find myself getting wrapped up in a favorite section and then I'm suddenly surprised to find the vocalists have moved on without me. I believe this is a variation on SH Fred's experience. er...that would be Slot-Head Fred.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-16 1:36 PM (#129579 - in reply to #129549)

I know what you mean. When things start going very good...they can go very bad.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-16 2:03 PM (#129580 - in reply to #129549)

If we started a new thread entitled "Performance Anxiety" I bet we'd get lots of hits. I so rarely play guitar for anyone but me that I don't have those problems. Don't have the other performance anxiety either. My wife wishes I'd do that by myself, too.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)