The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My Tornado....any info please?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Stripestore
Posted 2005-11-20 12:33 AM (#128964)
Subject: My Tornado....any info please?

So a few weeks ago I grabbed this vintage sunburst Ovation Tornado from Guitar Center for $350...the reason for the low price was because they had it down as a "Cyclone" or something, which to my knowledge doesn't even exist, when I told them it was a Tornado they looked it up and said normally they'd price those at $550+, So I suppose I got a pretty good deal, seeing what they normally go for on ebay. But anyways.....it's in great condition, aside from having had Humbuckers installed.....but what gets me is

1. There is no pickguard. No holes where a pickguard could have been either.

2. No plate covering the neck bolts on the back. Again, no screws where there obviously would be looking at every picture of a Tornado I've seen.

3. The number stamped on the back is "519". According to Ovation's website, this would mean it was made in 67....but the model didn't debut until 68.....

So is it possible that I have a prototype or something? Or were 68 models just manufactured in late 67 and stamped as such?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stripestore
Posted 2005-11-20 12:40 AM (#128965 - in reply to #128964)
Subject: Re: My Tornado....any info please?

By the way here's some pictures of her (sorry, crap cam):

Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-20 8:59 AM (#128966 - in reply to #128964)
Subject: Re: My Tornado....any info please?

Storms started being made in the spring of '67. I've got a photo from a magazine June 67 which show a workbench at the factory and on it are bodies and necks for Storms. You can't trust the dates 100% on the storm serial numbers. As far as the lack of pickguard holes and neck cover plate holes, maybe the guitar was refinished at some point (maybe when the buckers were installed). New knobs also. They may have filled the screw holes and finished over them. Based on the squared off fretboard, this is a very early one. So maybe it just never got the pickguard and cover. Nice guitar.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)