The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
humidifiers needed???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Posted 2005-11-20 12:34 PM (#128944)
Subject: humidifiers needed???

I live in the northeast United States and the summers are hot and the winters cold. House is either air conditioned or heated depending on the season. I use a room humidifier and /or acoustic guitar sound-hole humidifier for my Gibson & Martin acoustics. Is an acoustic guitar/room humidifier recommended/necessary for the ovation acoustics?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
an4340
Posted 2005-11-20 1:44 PM (#128945 - in reply to #128944)
Subject: Re: humidifiers needed???

It depends on how humid your room is. Buy yourself a hygrometer. Should be between 40 and 60 % humidity. If you do a search here you'll find a plethora of suggerstions. Let us know what you wind up doing.
an4340
Posted 2005-11-20 3:31 PM (#128946 - in reply to #128944)

PS
This is a good time of the year, besides checking the batteries of your hygrometers, putting in fresh batteries in your preamps and cleaning your frets and mineral oiling your fretboards, if you haven't done it in the past year. Winterize your guitar!
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-11-20 3:51 PM (#128947 - in reply to #128944)

I live in the upper left-hand corner of Pa. As soon as the heat goes on...my humidifiers go in. The back and sides don't need moisture but everything else does. John <>{
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-20 4:09 PM (#128948 - in reply to #128944)

Don't know where you are Mailer but I can sympathize with the hot and cold weather of the NE. In Central NY, it can be brutal. A small little hygrometer can take away all the concerns. Get one.
dragonboy
Posted 2005-11-20 6:55 PM (#128949 - in reply to #128944)

Would you advise anything for sunny SoCal (89 today, and dry)... In what we jokingly call winter, we run the heater in the mornings for an hour or so to take the chill off the house. In the summer, we might run the AC some when we're home on weekends, or for an hour or two to take the heat off when we first get home from work. Any need for a humidifier in these conditions?
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-11-20 7:03 PM (#128950 - in reply to #128944)

I live in Michigan and use sound hole humidifiers in all my round sound-hole Ovations. I use a moistened sponge in a sandwich bag with holes punched in it, in the case, for my multi-hole Os.

NE U.S., with snow, etc.??? YES, I'd use humidifiers. So-Cal???? Not sure it would be necessary if the guitars are kept out of the temperature and humidity extremes.

Roger
an4340
Posted 2005-11-20 7:16 PM (#128951 - in reply to #128944)

Dragon Boy
You live in a terrible climate. How can you bare it? You must be bored to death ... until you get your next earthquake, mudslide or forest fire!
But seriously, only a hygrometer will tell.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-11-20 9:38 PM (#128952 - in reply to #128944)

Originally posted by an4340:

But seriously, only a hygrometer will tell.
Aside from the hygrometer, as per advice from a local tech and by fellow OFC members months ago, a humidifier is not needed during the summer months especially in my neck of the woods. During the winter months, however, it's better to be safe than sorry. I currently use Dampit (spelling?) on my guitars. It costs about 15 bucks at your local music shop. For the price, I think it's a small price to pay to safely protect our instruments from cracks, and such...

Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)