The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
GAS becomes PAS?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Omaha
Posted 2005-11-21 11:35 PM (#128702)
Subject: GAS becomes PAS?

Well, I think I worked my way out of my GAS. Honestly, I can't find anything I like. Not many instruments I've played sound anywhere near as good as my Adamas, and NONE play as well. In fact, I can't find anything that plays even close. Maybe I'm just used to it, but the action on my Adamas completely smokes everything I've auditioned in the last few months.

BTW, I was talking about Takamine Cool-Tube's a few messages ago. Forget it. I spent a solid hour in the "sound proof booth" at Russo's Guitar Center and decided that none of them have an unplugged sound that is worth a thing. I can't imagine how they justify their prices.

Anyway...my GAS has now morphed into PAS : Pedal Aquisition Syndrome. It occurs to me that what I really want is an effects pedal.

Here's the thing. I love my Adamas, but I have to admit that it sounds a bit brittle and sterile when plugged in. At church, I plug directly into the PA (via a standard XLR mic cable). I find myself wishing for a warmer, softer tone.

I am thinking about a BOSS AD8, AD5 or AD3. Any owners here have any insight into how they work with Ovation guitars? Any ideas on how one might be more appropriate than another?

TIA

Cheers!

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BrianT
Posted 2005-11-21 11:44 PM (#128703 - in reply to #128702)
Subject: Re: GAS becomes PAS?

Check out the Fishman Aura. I think this pedal gives you the best possible sound you can get from a plugged-in acoustic guitar. But keep in mind that the Aura is only as good as the "image file" that is loaded in it. You really need to make sure it has an image file for your guitar, or at least a very close model. Back when I was using one there wasnt an image for an Adamas, but there were several for Ovation models.

If you want warm acoustic tone I dont know of anything better than the Aura. I have heard a lot of people raving about this new mama-bear box (TBAR I think?)
cliff
Posted 2005-11-22 7:48 AM (#128704 - in reply to #128702)

DTAR is the company that makes the MamaBear.

If you look on the AcousticGuitar Board, there's a lot of "blah" about it . . .
MrDano
Posted 2005-11-22 8:17 AM (#128705 - in reply to #128702)

I've got the Fishman Aura, but consistently ignore it for the Fishman Blender. I love what the blender does with my acoustic guitars. Having said that, the Aura will indeed give warmth and variation to your tone - but I'm not impressed by it's design, interface or flexibility.

Dano
bvince
Posted 2005-11-22 8:37 AM (#128706 - in reply to #128702)

I use an Acoustic Zoom 504II in our worship band and it has all kinds of built in effects, and sound shaping and storage options for a fraction of the price of a lot of other pedals. Unless your looking into a higher-end multi-effects pedal, you may want to check one of these out. I paid about $35 for one on Ebay. I liked it so much I bought a second one.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-22 10:23 AM (#128707 - in reply to #128702)

I'm showing my ignorance here but there's a comparison of the Zoom and a Digitech pedal. But they look like electric pedals, not acoustic. Where am I going wrong?
cliff
Posted 2005-11-22 10:35 AM (#128708 - in reply to #128702)

. . you keep picking up your guitar.
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-11-22 10:49 AM (#128709 - in reply to #128702)

Rimshot/Cymbal!!
Moody's Turn.. :)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-22 10:53 AM (#128710 - in reply to #128702)

Ignorance raises it's ugly head and goes the route of sarcasm......

Hey Cliff, let's not do this to entertain Chapman.
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-22 10:56 AM (#128711 - in reply to #128702)

You're right, Paul. Most pedals, unless they are specifically designed for acoustic, favor electrics. While I loved using my Digitech RPX400 with my electric, it really isn't flattering for my acoustics. I'm looking at either a Yamaha AGStomp (as Schroeder has) or the Fishman Blender. The Fishman is over 3 times as much, tho...
JeffreyD
Posted 2005-11-22 11:04 AM (#128712 - in reply to #128702)

I have two Digitechs, an older RP7 and a cheaper new RP100. You are dead on that they are primarily for electrics, but I have been relatively happy and received lots of compliments on using it with my 1537 with just a touch of Chorus. Kind of rounds out the highs a bit giving it an airy light sound for rythym playing at church. I primarily use it when wanting to enhance the "faux" acoustic sound of my Carvin DC400's Fishman Piezo pickup. Obviously not an acoustic, but an interesting hybrid that allows for a transition without changing guitars.
Buckaroo
Posted 2005-11-22 11:04 AM (#128713 - in reply to #128702)

A pedal can be used on electric, or acoustic guitars. Each brand has its' own sounds. Zoom makes good stuff, they all do really. I've got Digitech, Boss, Zoom pedals. I'd recommend getting one, they are nice and can add dimension to your sound. It's cool to be able to make a solidbody electric sound like a twelve string, or turn your classical into a strat. Cheers!
Jkf_Alone
Posted 2005-11-22 11:09 AM (#128714 - in reply to #128702)

there is a zoom acoustic pedal and a zoom electtic pedal, as well as a zoom bass. ive played the electric pedal, played around with the bass pedal and heard vince play with the acoustic version. they have convincing effects, and if they came in a better housing i think they would be a great value. i had the electric version with the expression pedal attached and it always scared me into wearing socks when i would wail on the expression pedal. not much fun when you have a proco rat and other boot friendly pedals. but i think the 2 button versions hold up better than the one i had. only problem i had with mine was that a lot of the time warping effects (delay, pitch shift, flange, and chorus) never had the same volume as the others. oh well sold all my pedals and my amp anyway so the points moot for me i guess.
cruster
Posted 2005-11-22 11:29 AM (#128715 - in reply to #128702)

Yamaha made an acoustic version of their Magicstomp, IIRC. Might be worth looking into, but I admittedly know nothing about the unit.

That being said, yes, GAS can morph into PAS. The problem with PAS is you start out thinking you'd like a little Boss digital delay pedal and next thing you know you're bringing a GNX4 through the door and SWMBO is not impressed. At least that's how it manifested here. ;)
an4340
Posted 2005-11-22 11:31 AM (#128716 - in reply to #128702)

I had a zoom pedal 505. It was fun, but I realized I didn't need it. You need something to sweeten the sound, like a reverb, but it could be anything like a chorus. After that, you might like a compressor. After that, acoustic in church, maybe a phaser or rotator effect. To me anything else would be overkill.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-22 11:36 AM (#128717 - in reply to #128702)

Berhinger is making an acoustic pedal that's been well reviewed. But it's so new that nobody's carrying it yet.
Waskel
Posted 2005-11-22 11:59 AM (#128718 - in reply to #128702)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Berhinger is making an acoustic pedal that's been well reviewed. But it's so new that nobody's carrying it yet.
Didn't see it at CMS. They have an Acoustic Modeler stomp box, but that's to make your electric sound like an acoustic. Of course they have the Ultracoustic amps, but I haven't tried them. Behringer's still pretty young at the modeling tech, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. They're good at putting a lot of features into an affordable package.

Looked at the MagicStomps, but they are really a blend of all the earlier incarnations, and even the reps said they made it harder to use as a stomp box than the AGStomp. At least they're still available on ebay.
bvince
Posted 2005-11-22 12:47 PM (#128719 - in reply to #128702)

The ACOUSTIC ZOOM 504II has just about all the effects that I need for varying acoustic sounds. It has reverb, chorus, doubling, and a bunch of other effects that can each be added individually to a channel and tweeked to your taste. Then you can store it and move on to the next one and make up another sound, repeating this process probably more times than you want until you have more effects than you will ever use. It also has a bunch of preset ones for anyone who doesn't want to read the literature and delve into electronic creativity. I use a wireless adapter in my guitar that runs into the effects pedal, which is plugged into a direct box and ito the house sound system. Then I use a house floor monitor to hear myself and everyone else at the same time. I actually have one sound that I have tweeked that I use pretty much all the time, unless I decide to jam a little with the guys, and then I'll go to the built-in Wha Wha or distortion. It really offers some fun options. THEN, if I want to do some lead stuff, I can add an A/B switch to the setup and run the other line through my Johnston J-Station Modeling preamp.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)