The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OK ... This is my last question on classicals ...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bvince
Posted 2005-11-23 8:32 AM (#128550)
Subject: OK ... This is my last question on classicals ...

I am down to the wire on this ... A 1616-4 vs. a 1973 Alvarez Yairi CY120. The Yairi I am told is made with a solid spruce top and laminate (plywood) back and sides. Do you guys think the deep bowl roundback 1616 with spruce top would resonate better and deeper? I think the tops are going to be pretty much the same. Any educated guesses here to help with the decision?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2005-11-23 8:36 AM (#128551 - in reply to #128550)
Subject: Re: OK ... This is my last question on classicals ...

deep.....bowls....rock
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-23 10:03 AM (#128552 - in reply to #128550)

Vince, I am no expert on classical guitars. Mine "look" nice, but that's about all I can say for them. Someone told me once that I had to have a nylon string guitar in my collection. So there you go.

What I have HEARD, from people who know a hell of a lot more about this than I do, is that Ovation classicals are incedible in their durability, road worthiness and plugged in performance. But for pure classical acoustic sound they have a much too stiff top and too rigid bracing. Maybe they carry that over from their steel string brothers. Plus the thick lacquer finish. And due to this they do not seem to have the volume, clarity and sustain of a real quality classical guitar.

Like I said, I would not know the difference. But that's what I have read and heard. On the flip side, depending on your intended use whre else can you get a nice classical for $300 or so that will last you forever? I will offer one word of advice. GO DEEP, young man. I have had all three. Supershallow 1863 was not impressive at all. Mid depth country artist 6773 is not bad. But by far deep bowl 1713 and deep shinny bowl classical are the best I have owned.

Dave
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-23 10:23 AM (#128553 - in reply to #128550)

As I said on the other thread, I'm far from an expert, too. All the other classical guitars I played sound like toys. If the 1713 that I have is the low end of classical guitars, then the high end classicals must be incredible. The deep bowl booms. The sound is different from my other deep bowls, the 1537 and the Matrix, but I couldn't tell you if it is because of the cedar top vs. the spruce or the nylon strings vs. steel. I just know it sounds good, looks good and if somebody else plays it, it plays good.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-23 11:52 AM (#128554 - in reply to #128550)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
the high end classicals must be incredible.
It's magical. I've got a friend Lou who is very accomplished. He does not play classical "music" per se, but rather plays original compositions in a very "classical" style. He's got several chi-chi high end classicals (I think one is a $5k model Rameriz?) the sound is just amazing. When he plays I look around the room for the electronics and siginal processing because there is NO way those kinds of sounds come form fingernails plucking a string of nylon. But low and behold it's all in the person and the instrument. On the other hand, when I play his guitars, they indeed do sound like toys.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-11-23 12:09 PM (#128555 - in reply to #128550)

Damn. Another situation where it takes skill and practice instead of just buying equipment. I always have someone else play a guitar before I buy it, if I can. That way I can hear how it should sound instead of how it sounds when I play it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-11-23 12:16 PM (#128556 - in reply to #128550)

Did a sound comparison last night with my daughter between my 1537 and 87 C. She liked the sound of the 1537 better, saying it was louder and more crisp.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-11-23 2:43 PM (#128557 - in reply to #128550)

Did ya read my post in the other thread? Get an 1113,1613,1713,1763. They all have deep bowls, soft wood tops, fan bracing, 26 3/16 scale length. The Alvarez is closer to a tradional classical than the 1616, but with the OP-24 and a fairly reasonable BIN I'd keep my eye on this one.

Da-Bay
bvince
Posted 2005-11-23 7:23 PM (#128558 - in reply to #128550)

Thanks for all the good advice. I think the final determining factor is that I recently promised myself I would discard anything I had that wasn't an Ovation. If I am fortunate enough to get an outstanding Ovation Classical with a tremendous sound, so be it. If it doesn't do what I expect it to do, I'll have to take back my promise and buy another higher-end classical. Regardless of what happens, I'll keep the Ovation. It's a matter of principle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)