The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas question from the newbie

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Earthbound Misfit
Posted 2005-11-25 7:31 PM (#128348)
Subject: Adamas question from the newbie

Hi all ~ I'm new to the OFC, just discovered it a few days ago and have been browsing the forum since then.

I have two questions, really. First, a little background. I just purchased my first Adamas, a 1597 4G, on eBay, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I went to the local music store to buy a strap and strings, and got into a conversation with the store owner (who does not carry Os, but has "heard of" Adamas - which is not surprising, since he sells the strings, heh). Anyway, he told me to beware of buying a guitar you haven't held/seen/played, since production values vary. In other words, the guitar I bought could be a lemon.

Now, it seems to me that since the Adamas is made with more "technologically advanced" materials, there would be fewer of the variables that are inherent in all-wood production. This should result in tighter control of production variance - in other words, far fewer lemons.

Am I right?

Oh, and question #2: I've always pronounced it uh-DAH-mus . Is this correct?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-11-25 7:50 PM (#128349 - in reply to #128348)
Subject: Re: Adamas question from the newbie

Pronunciation is correct.

The beautiful thing about Adamas guitars is how consistent they sound due to being made mostly of synthetic materials. If you like the sound of the 1597, then you'll like the sound of every 1597. Wooden guitars (being a natural material) have variations. It's not uncommon for someone purchasing a high end wooden guitar to try many of the exact same model until they find the one that "speaks" to them.

Enjoy your new guitar, and WELCOME TO THE OFC.

Dave
Earthbound Misfit
Posted 2005-11-25 8:03 PM (#128350 - in reply to #128348)

Thanks for setting my mind at ease regarding consistency, Dave. And for the welcome!

Some self-proclaimed expert was pronouncing it like A-dem-is. Maybe that's the original greek pronunciation...
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-11-25 8:38 PM (#128351 - in reply to #128348)

Welcome to the club.

I feel that even the wood topped Ovations have a more consistant sound than all wooden guitars.

Plugged In, are you in for a treat. :)

Now get pickin' and postin' :D
Earthbound Misfit
Posted 2005-11-25 9:10 PM (#128352 - in reply to #128348)

Thanks for the welcome, Mike. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Also looking forward to introducing my "Martian" friends to the glorious world of Adamas.
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-11-25 9:17 PM (#128353 - in reply to #128348)

It is a great guitar...you'll treasure it.
Earthbound Misfit
Posted 2005-11-25 9:35 PM (#128354 - in reply to #128348)

Originally posted by Tony Calman:
It is a great guitar...you'll treasure it.
Oh yes, I know I will - ever since I tried my first (and only) Adamas in a store some 25 years ago, it's been my Dream Guitar. Thanks to the deal I found on eBay, I am finally able to afford one. :)
Northcountry
Posted 2005-11-25 9:57 PM (#128355 - in reply to #128348)

Hey Nice handle!
Funny, Same thing happened to me at just about the same age most likely.
It was 1978 and the Adamas 1, (I was instantly mesmorized by) I saw, was so expensive the guitar shop owner would not even take it down for me, with my dirty jeans and long hair, to try.
Now I own a few Ovations and after playing them and constantly comparing them to the other guy's guitars...... am considering buying more of them! Once your hooked on these, Your Hooked.
Too bad you did not find this site just a few days earlier we have an Ovation Guitar Dealer who has a fantastic Adamas for sale right now in the Sell/Trade section and if your interested check out the site to the left Lost Art & Vintage Instruments. You'll find some more great adamas guitars we would all like to own!

Welcome
Enjoy

Randy
Earthbound Misfit
Posted 2005-11-25 10:11 PM (#128356 - in reply to #128348)

Thanks Randy! Come to think of it, 1978 does sound about right... I have no idea which model it was, though.
Northcountry
Posted 2005-11-26 6:51 AM (#128357 - in reply to #128348)

Enjoy!
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2005-11-26 8:01 AM (#128358 - in reply to #128348)

SO has it come yet? You will need to let us know what you think -- and post pictures.

Hey northcountry: How about posting pictures of your RIcs? I used to have a red 4001S, but alas -- had to sell it when I got married. That's another story. WOuld love to see pics of the Rics.
Jkf_Alone
Posted 2005-11-26 5:12 PM (#128359 - in reply to #128348)

wow 1978, makes me wish i had been around then, i coulda seen a few of the star wars on th big screen in there original glory AND tried out a 78 adamas brand spankin new
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-26 5:26 PM (#128360 - in reply to #128348)

...ouch...
Beal
Posted 2005-11-26 6:46 PM (#128361 - in reply to #128348)

Let us know how you like it!
Northcountry
Posted 2005-11-26 8:11 PM (#128362 - in reply to #128348)

Hizzoner Yep YOur right I love looking at the shots some of you guy's have posted. There are some amazing guitar collections on this site. I need a new camera and every time I go for one I seem find a guitar. I will do this soon though.... I really want to take a group shot of them all. Two of the Ric Basses I have converted into 5 string basses from a standard 4 string 4003.
I recently sold my doubleneck Ric and I miss it. I wish I had a nice digital picture of it. I have to look in my saved photo's I think I have a shot from last year showing the Adamas's & a couple of the Rics? Dam Now I will have to see if I can prove my lack of computer talent and try and send a shot through.

Randy
Earthbound Misfit
Posted 2005-11-27 3:54 PM (#128363 - in reply to #128348)

Originally posted by Jkf_Alone:
wow 1978, makes me wish i had been around then, i coulda seen a few of the star wars on th big screen in there original glory AND tried out a 78 adamas brand spankin new
Yeah, well, some days I feel older and some days I feel younger... and yes, I did see the original Star Wars in the theater -- four times. Gosh, does that make me an old geekster? When the Beautiful Thing arrives, I'll let y'all know, and I'll see about getting a pic for ya. ;)
Styll
Posted 2005-11-27 11:46 PM (#128364 - in reply to #128348)

You are correct.
Note...
There is no perfect guitar. They all come with their own dings, buzz's, and so on.

The perfection is how you feel. Make the dings and Buzz's work. Learn to make that a part of your guitars representation and youll find that perfection you are looking for.

In my opinion you cant get anymore perfect than owning an Adamas/Ovation.

Having said that...I do not buy anything on ebay...or any place unless I physically see the item and have it in hand. A guarantee really cannot be made when you're unaware of how that last person who owned it,took care of it;regardless of the name on the product.
I wish you the greatest of luck on this purchase and as long as it was taken care of, it will live up to the name.

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)