The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Breadwinner bridge replacements

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

jos
Posted 2005-11-27 6:06 PM (#128244)
Subject: Breadwinner bridge replacements

Hi. I'm a new member. I own an early 70s Ovation Breadwinner, which I recently had modded with new pickups, and unfortunately I think I just broke the guitar's bridge.

It was having trouble staying in tune, so I got curious yesterday and tried to take the bridge off (I thought maybe something might be loose, and also I just wanted to see what was under it.) Anyway, I accidentally stripped the holes that hold down the two big screws on top of the bridge, so now the screws won't hold the bridge down.

So, my question is: What are my options? I suppose I could just wait and see if someone puts a functional Breadwinner bridge up on eBay, but if I wanted to replace the bridge entirely, can anyone recommend a bridge/tailpiece that will fit? On the Breadwinner fan page, it looks like someone has modded their guitars with Gibson-style wraparound bridges. Has anyone here tried that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-27 6:29 PM (#128245 - in reply to #128244)
Subject: Re: Breadwinner bridge replacements

Welcome Jos!

For clarification, is it the two 1/2" diameter fine threaded post that were stripped or is it the receiver sockets?

The next question is "how in the he..."? Oh, nevermind.

I have spare bridge assemblies and posts but the receiver sockets will have to come out of Customer Service or an aftermarket repair.

Take a look in my gallery. There's one or two modified Breadweiners and Deaconstrocities in there!

Peace
jos
Posted 2005-11-27 6:48 PM (#128246 - in reply to #128244)

I'm not sure I understand the question -- basically, the two plastic holes in the bridge itself stripped out. The holes are now too big for screw heads. There's nothing wrong with the screws themselves -- you can tighten or loosen them, they just won't hold down the bridge anymore.

What happened was, I didn't realize that there are three screws holding down the Breadwinner bridge, because the third screw is attached inside the body, in the back cavity, and isn't visible from the outside. So I loosened the two screws I could see, the front of the bridge started rising, the back part (near the tail, the one held by the inside screw) started creating leverage. . . and next thing you know, there's a horrible cracking sound.
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-27 6:56 PM (#128247 - in reply to #128244)

...then the tears started to flow...

That said, I would venture that most of us know that feeling, Jos. You've come to the right place.
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-27 7:19 PM (#128248 - in reply to #128244)

Bridge backsides Bridge frontside

So your posts are still good but you blew out the bridge holes (at 5/16" diameter)!

Did you have the nylon or brass bridge? Do these look familiar?

Edit - you stripped the receiver sockets that are part of the body?
This is the worst thing. I am thinking Helicoil. Actually, sending it back to the factory is best!
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-27 8:24 PM (#128249 - in reply to #128244)

I have bridges, posts and a modified Viper Body to exchange for your BW :rolleyes:

We are here to help!
jos
Posted 2005-11-28 8:01 PM (#128250 - in reply to #128244)

MWoody, it's the nylon-saddle bridge, the one in the middle on your photos. I took another look at it and to tell you the truth I'm not even sure how the screws stayed attached in the first place -- I'm wondering if something like Tone Pro locking studs might solve the problem.

Good advice about contacting the factory -- you never know what they may have gathering dust in a corner. (Plus, I can't believe I'm the only one who's ever done this, so maybe they have a solution already in mind.) Also, failing that, I'll see what my local tech says. I may be back to ask about your extra bridges for sale. Thanks.
MWoody
Posted 2005-11-28 8:23 PM (#128251 - in reply to #128244)

Work with me here, my light isn't on yet.
The two "screws" you refer to - are they the 1/2" diameter threaded posts?

If so, they do not attach to the bridge, the bridge rests on them.

With the string pressure pulling the bridge on to the posts and the middle 1/4" anchor post attached these posts adjust the height of the bridge.

Are the holes on your bridge where the posts ride - ripped through?
jos
Posted 2005-12-03 10:17 PM (#128252 - in reply to #128244)

!

After I saw this last post, I restrung the guitar and you're right, the bridge does rest on those posts. I thought somehow it attached to the guitar via the posts (but couldn't figure out how), and thought I'd broken it.

Ah, this is such good news. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
MWoody
Posted 2005-12-03 11:08 PM (#128253 - in reply to #128244)

"Thanks for talking me off the ledge"

...or off the Bridge?

Hang around, the next Jumper is yours!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)