The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
What was your first Ovation?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

jumper
Posted 2005-11-30 3:37 PM (#127932 - in reply to #127882)
Subject: Re: What was your first Ovation?

Now this is interesting stuff. I only picked up the guitar over the last two years. I started with a cheap Segovia and have been moving on ever since. Not as bad as MrDano's mother starting at 68, but just goes to show you.....age has no boundries for guitar playing. I recently bought my first O. A Celebrity Deluxe CS245 12 string that I cannot put down. I have seen it bashed here and there and for the life of me cannot figure out why. I keep testing different 6 string O's, but cannot find anything I like better than my Godin.

Al ~ Tune In, Strum On ~
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bones
Posted 2005-11-30 5:55 PM (#127933 - in reply to #127882)

My first OVATION was a CUSTOM BALLADEER but I had to trade it in for an OVATION 1990 COLLECTORS SERIES SHALLOW BOWL which I still have and its in brand new condition,but the action is way low .I need to have it adjusted.
DANTE""
:cool: :p :rolleyes:
--------------------
1990 collectors shallow bowl
Martin HD 28
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul VOODOO
Gibson SG 1961 Reissue
PRS Custom 22
American Strat Plus
American Custom Strat
EJ Strat
Warwick Corvette Stnd
Epiphone Lp Junior
Stuart Rysdale [aka Driftwood]
Posted 2005-11-30 6:23 PM (#127934 - in reply to #127882)

Celebrity C165 12 string had it since july 1998 gigged to death re-fretted once bridge is cracked and starting to lift and yet it still sounds great . Just got home from yet another gig to find my adamas ME is finally on it,s way damn Im looking forward to playing it!!!!!
SusanV
Posted 2005-11-30 7:43 PM (#127935 - in reply to #127882)

I'm loving reading all these stories. I already told about my first Ovation, but as for my first guitar....

When i was in 7th grade, another girl moved into my neighborhood and she and her entire family played guitar and sang. All the boys went ga ga over her and forgot i existed, so.... i did the only thing i could. Got a cheap-o guitar ( $12 at Western Auto!!!), and learned to play "House of the Rising Sun" and a couple others well enough that my Dad agreed to get me a "real" guitar ( a $40 Kent I had my eye on ). When we went to American Music Store in Jacksonville to get the Kent, The guy handed me a Gibson B-25, and even my Dad could hear and see the difference in it and the Kent. We left with the Gibson ($200 that my dad really shouldn't have spent), and I still have that '65 Gibson. As material possessions go, it's probably the dearest thing i own.

Susan
BluesSailor
Posted 2005-11-30 7:45 PM (#127936 - in reply to #127882)

SusanV

.......you win!
Weaser P
Posted 2005-11-30 7:52 PM (#127937 - in reply to #127882)

Great story, Susan, and your first song was mine as well. The guys in my neighborhood had a pretty decent band and I made up my mind that if I didn't learn to play something either real fast or real good (still woring on the real good part), all the girls would be taken and I'd be left with my snot nosed little brother. Well, the thought of hanging with Joey the rest of my life scared me straight into an Epiphone hollow body that I painted my dad's house for. Learned House of The Rising Sun, joined the band and raise holy heck in every garage that would let us in. The next year I traded that Epi for my first O and have it to this day. Ahh, good times.
BluesSailor
Posted 2005-11-30 7:53 PM (#127938 - in reply to #127882)

Like CardinalFlyer my first O was a 1537. Bought from StephenT28 last July. Truely a fantastic instrument. That guitar convinced my wife enough that she didn't even flinch when I brought the Adamas II last month. On top of all that, I'm not all that great a player having just picked it up again after 20+ years. Hope to keep on playing for years to come and sample other flavors of O's (and others) along the way.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-11-30 8:20 PM (#127939 - in reply to #127882)

Originally posted by SusanV:
In my case, my husband is a musician (cellist), who is very appreciative of my little gaggle of guitars. To him of course, guitars are ridiculously cheap.... a decent cello is worth many times more than all my guitars put together! In fact, a decent bow runs into the thousands $$$. ACK :eek:

susan
I agree with you there Susan. My wife plays the violin, and just like your hubby's cello, her instrument costs more than all my guitars put together and that's not including the bow. She's been wanting to upgrade her current violin ... but

Lately, however, she took me to the shop where she's been GAS(ing) for an HD-28. Now I tried both the the D and the HD. Other than the aesthetics, I really couldn't tell the difference ... except for a few extra hundreds more for the added capital letter "H" Correct me if I'm wrong please?

At this point, I think I'm beginning to bend over the wife's wishes as I put mine on hold ...
SusanV
Posted 2005-11-30 8:36 PM (#127940 - in reply to #127882)

Originally posted by ignimbyte:

Lately, however, she took me to the shop where she's been GAS(ing) for an HD-28. Now I tried both the the D and the HD. Other than the aesthetics, I really couldn't tell the difference ... except for a few extra hundreds more for the added capital letter "H" Correct me if I'm wrong please?

[/QB]
The HD 28 has scalloped braces, which are supposed to let the top vibrate more freely. Also, the herringbone trim as you mentioned. Resale value will be more for the HD. The sound difference may well not be evident until it has some age on it? Not sure about that, or if the degree of difference is worth the price.

susan
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-11-30 8:56 PM (#127941 - in reply to #127882)

Thanks for the immediate reply Susan. I might take a bashing from some members here, but I'm beginning to like that darn guitar too. Now, it'll just be a matter of time when she and I will come up with the funds to be able to make the purchase ...
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-11-30 9:32 PM (#127942 - in reply to #127882)

From my experience playing them at Elderly and GC, the Martin HD-28 sounds significantly better than the D-28, even new. You can tell it has the scalloped braces.

FIRST OVATION???? It was the "old Applause" of my moniker...a 1976 Applause AA-14-4...purchased on January 31, 1977. Picture is in my gallery. I wanted an Ovation, and it was what I could afford right after I got out of college. I didn't realize for 26 years that it was built by the same company....I thought it was a "knock-off" (well, it was, but by the SAME COMPANY).

I like cwk2's first Ovation. No one can top that!!!!

Roger
tragocaster
Posted 2005-11-30 10:13 PM (#127943 - in reply to #127882)

My first "O"? It was an Applause. I remember that I was 18, so it must've been in 1979. I lugged that thing around caseless without mercy for a couple of years before trading it in and getting a cheap Yamaha.
bones
Posted 2005-12-01 1:16 AM (#127944 - in reply to #127882)

Hi Susan,
You have an awesome collection of vintage guitars and plus your 62 RI STRAT and MARTINS are just incredible instruments.I'm just wondering on how you are customizing your HD-28,
are your having MARTIN do this for you like made to order guitar,take care of those guitars''.
DANTE
:cool: :p :rolleyes:
---------------------------
1990 collectors shallow bowl
Martin HD 28
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul VOODOO
Gibson SG 1961 Reissue
PRS Custom 22
American Strat Plus
American Custom Strat
EJ Strat
Warwick Corvette Stnd
Epiphone Lp Junior
dragonboy
Posted 2005-12-01 2:05 AM (#127945 - in reply to #127882)

It only took me 30 years after seeing my first Ovation to finally get one... I just welcomed a Melissa 12 string to the family :p

(I wish I could figure out how to paste a picture in this message... can anybody out there tell me how?)
SusanV
Posted 2005-12-01 8:39 AM (#127946 - in reply to #127882)

Originally posted by bones:
Hi Susan,
You have an awesome collection of vintage guitars and plus your 62 RI STRAT and MARTINS are just incredible instruments.I'm just wondering on how you are customizing your HD-28,
are your having MARTIN do this for you like made to order guitar,take care of those guitars''.
DANTE
Hi Dante,

You have a pretty awesome collection yourself. As for my Martin... I'm building it myself. I bought all the parts from Martin while at their factory, and handpicked my wood and other goodies. I had to take a break from working on it for a few years, but i'm about to get back to it now. I have a beautiful Engelmann spruce top, and I'm going to scallop the braces for the "HD" sound, as well as doing some custom inlays. Still planning... See more from me about this in the "Building your own guitar" thread, recent entries.

To keep this Ovation oriented.. :D ... I just sold my only Ovation, an Elite 12-string. I have no doubt though, (especially hanging around here) that i'll have another Ovation (or 2 or 3) in my future. I love them.

susan
Slipkid
Posted 2005-12-01 9:19 AM (#127947 - in reply to #127882)

Who is building my custom Martin???? Why....me........who else would do a thing like that???
....nice....

Okay....I admit that I paraphrased the quote.
SusanV
Posted 2005-12-01 9:28 AM (#127948 - in reply to #127882)

You mean... " Who else would do a crazy thing like that!"

ha!!! :D

Susan <---- has more nerve than sense
Slipkid
Posted 2005-12-01 9:44 AM (#127949 - in reply to #127882)

Susan....ya gotta think hard about attending the next factory tour. Your can't be to far away and it would knock your socks off.
Steve
Posted 2005-12-01 9:47 AM (#127950 - in reply to #127882)

...Susan!, that brings back memories...I also had a 'Kent' guitar when I was a kid, terrible action but gave me great callouses...
bones
Posted 2005-12-01 1:19 PM (#127951 - in reply to #127882)

Susan,
You got great ideas on customizing your own
guitar.That'll turn out a one of a kind HD-28.

thanks""
DANTE
:cool: :p ;)
SusanV
Posted 2005-12-01 3:00 PM (#127952 - in reply to #127882)

Hey Steve... I swear i think I BLED, learning to play that 2x4 of a neck. Can you imagine how a small Gibson neck felt to me after that? maybe we should start a Kent fan club... or maybe not :cool:

Dante... Thanks. Looking forward to getting back to working on it.

Brad... When i went on the tour before, I was living in Florida, and on a working vacation up here... however.... now I live just a couple hours away! We're hoping to get over there very soon. I've never been to the Ovation Factory, but I did get a chance to tour the Taylor factory outside of San Diego. THAT was an awesome experience, too. It made such an imression that within 6 months I had bought a Taylor 712C.

susan
Slipkid
Posted 2005-12-01 3:41 PM (#127953 - in reply to #127882)

Susan, Susan, Susan....I did not mean the Martin tour. I meant the OFC factory tour! :D
Take a look in my photo gallery for some pics from last year.
BTW....I did the Martin tour last year on my way to the Ovation tour. It was interesting but the OFC tour is a completle different animal (as in llama). :rolleyes:
SusanV
Posted 2005-12-01 5:23 PM (#127954 - in reply to #127882)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
Susan, Susan, Susan....I did not mean the Martin tour. I meant the OFC factory tour! :D
ooooo sheesh.... :rolleyes:

yes, of course i knew that ::: clearing throat ::::

I would LOVE to see the Ovation factory. Of course that would mean I'd get the bug to own another one. Wouldn't that be just awful?

susan :p
Beal
Posted 2005-12-01 7:04 PM (#127955 - in reply to #127882)

Better than a Taylor......
Come on over in May, You'll like it!
Jeff K
Posted 2005-12-01 8:48 PM (#127956 - in reply to #127882)

My first Ovation was/is a Breadwinner Limited.

with an Ebony truss rod cover by MWoody:

It sounds wonderful, but the neck and my fretting hand never worked well together. I'm sending it in to the Mothership tomorrow (didn't get to the local FedEx handler last night) for a checkup and tuneup before I offer it to the Xmas crowd.

When the need for an acoustic arises, the first thing I'll look into will be an Adamas.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)