The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Whatever happened to...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Styll
Posted 2005-12-03 12:47 AM (#127369)
Subject: Whatever happened to...

the new project Q? I was able to view and handle the guitar at the factory. Thought this would be out by now...From what I had seen so far...it was amazing. They had the add running for the longest time but have since pulled it from advertising.

Anyone know or hear anything?

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-12-03 9:16 AM (#127370 - in reply to #127369)
Subject: Re: Whatever happened to...

Personal Opinion: I think Q was originally envisioned to be a revolutionary guitar in that it is all synthetic except for fretboard and bridge and. The protos sounded OK and the expectation was that people would line up to pay $5k for such an instrument.

But then reality struck and the realization that Ovations don't sell in huge numbers already compared to wooden box guitars partly because of the stigma that it is a plastic guitar only made for plugged in use. So now you're gonna introduce something that's even more plastic and costs right up there with the meat of the Martin line and you think it's gonna sell? No way. Maybe 25 of them.

So in my opinion Q is just an ongoing stream of internal engineering projects that result in all kinds of other models and features. Q isn't a "product", it's a "program".

That's not to say the Q protos are not great guitars. I liked the sound and feel of the one I tried. But it's not the right product to compete at that pricepoint. Just my opinion.

Dave
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-12-03 9:22 AM (#127371 - in reply to #127369)

in ten years carbon fibre instruments will be common, popular and out perform wood...at any price point.
Englishplayer
Posted 2005-12-03 9:26 AM (#127372 - in reply to #127369)

I found it odd that the company would pay to advertise a guitar that was not in production and had no real date of when it would be in production. Doesn't it make more sense to pay to advertise models that people can buy? Not to mention the fact that the Q ideal was never really explained in the ad. I didn't understand the marketing campaign.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-12-03 9:32 AM (#127373 - in reply to #127369)

Maybe the ads were just about presenting an image.
Or maybe they where looking to what kind of feedback and interest they got from it.
Styll
Posted 2005-12-03 1:23 PM (#127374 - in reply to #127369)

When I was there...John did say they were flooded with response.
cliff
Posted 2005-12-03 1:40 PM (#127375 - in reply to #127369)

I had the distinct pleasure/honor of having Q10 live with me for about six month . . . that guitar was KILLAH!!!

(If had the money), I'd EASILY pay the $5-8K for it.

I'd put against a comparably-priced, high-end Martin/Taylor ANY day.

Whether or not there might've been "consistency" problems in the production of them, I don't know, but IMHO, I think that they should DEFINITELY be offered (at least as a CustomOrder). I (for one), think they're "that good".
MikeStull
Posted 2005-12-03 1:53 PM (#127376 - in reply to #127369)

A local acoustic music store sold a number of Composite Acoustics before CA stopped production for relocation. When the production stop was announced every remaining CA sold, at prices $2K or better, within a week. The CA guitars are all composite (carbon fiber for the most part)in the traditional shape.

The Q might not outsell other Ovation models but there is a market for a good sounding full composite guitar.

Oh, one last note: said guitar shop would not consider carrying Ovation, they're not too keen on Martin or Taylor either. Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss and Dalton, and Gallagher are more along the lines carried. Despite the brand snobbery still a nice store.

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/
Abendicum
Posted 2005-12-04 10:03 AM (#127377 - in reply to #127369)

I always thought the Q was a special project to explore new concepts and ease the buying public to more synthetics and try to get a sense for their acceptance...

I felt the factory was looking for feed back and trying to say- "this is the future of guitars, what say you buying public can you find the compation and LOVE for synthetic materials like you have all these years for wood (or not)???"

It also might allow more Techno stuff in the Ovation line and allow some purists to come further up the evolutionary ladder of guitar design, sort of like a Auto Show Concept Car that will never see production...

Ab
Slipkid
Posted 2005-12-04 10:52 AM (#127378 - in reply to #127369)

allow some purists to come further up the evolutionary ladder of guitar design
I like that line.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)