The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Acoustic Guitar Mag called it correctly....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-12-04 8:05 AM (#127263)
Subject: Acoustic Guitar Mag called it correctly....

I was at Elderly Instruments yesterday and found they had just gotten in a C2078LX Custom Elite, just profiled in Acoustic Guitar magazine. HOLY COW!!!!!! What a GREAT guitar! Rich, deep sound and it's a CANNON. The sound quality could stand up to ANYTHING. The Mothership should be justly proud.

NOTE: This is obviously a new guitar, with new strings. Something I've found with my 2005 Collectors and noted about the other one I've played at our local Guitar Center, is that the deep contour bowl models seem a little more sensitive to how new the strings are than mid-bowls. They are fabulous and rich with new strings, but once the "bloom is off the rose" with the strings, the sound quality drops off quickly, more quickly than with the mid-bowls. Just my observation. So.....the plan is to use EXPs or Elixirs with these guitars for me.

Roger
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-12-04 8:16 AM (#127264 - in reply to #127263)
Subject: Re: Acoustic Guitar Mag called it correctly....

Roger,

Try Elixir Phospher Bronze. You can't tell they are coated and they last forever with great tone.
JeffreyD
Posted 2005-12-04 8:20 AM (#127265 - in reply to #127263)

I use Elixir's on my 1537 and they do very well at retaining the new string sound. Better than anything I used in the past. The coating on them does discolor and look ugly faster, but I must admit, I don't wipe them down everytime I play them.

I don't restring my guitar as often as "real" guitar players do, so to me, the Elixirs are a bargain as they keep the sound going that much longer.

Anybody else used stringthis.com? They seem to have a good price. Any better?
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-12-04 3:21 PM (#127266 - in reply to #127263)

Paul, thanks, I already use EXPs....but I have a set of Elixir Nanowebs I may try at some point. I've never gotten along with Elixirs on Ovations....the Nanowebs are left over from my Larrivee parlor guitar(since sold), which they worked VERY WELL on.

Right now, the strings on my 2005-ES are a couple of months old and they are due for change soundwise. The strings are regular EJ16s, which I put on because I took out a shim and I didn't want to waste a set of EXPs if I decided to put the shim back in quickly.

For strings, I buy locally or go to juststrings.com.

Roger
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-12-04 4:23 PM (#127267 - in reply to #127263)

The Elixir phospher bronze strings are real different than the regular nano or poly web strings. Try the PB's in light gauge. I think you'll be happy with them...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)