The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Godin Multiac vs. Viper

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

cruster
Posted 2005-12-09 8:39 PM (#126755)
Subject: OT: Godin Multiac vs. Viper

Just idle musing as I sit here on a Friday evening (after working 3 hours on the basement remodeling...have to love wimmin, right? Re-finishing a finished basement????)...

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare a Godin Multiac (Steel or Nylon) to an EA68 Viper (do they come in Steel or Nylon?)? I wonder how they compare?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
schroeder
Posted 2005-12-10 7:12 AM (#126756 - in reply to #126755)
Subject: Re: OT: Godin Multiac vs. Viper

Interesting that Al di Meola plays a Godin. I'm guessing he could have a viper if he wanted.

John McLaughlin is also using a Godin a lot these days.

I'm sure the Roland-ready pickup is a big factor in this. The O piezo has 6 separate crystals so it could easily be made Roland ready without having to have the Roland pup screwed/stuck to the top.
cruster
Posted 2005-12-10 8:16 AM (#126757 - in reply to #126755)

I wasn't aware that AdM played a Godin. Very interesting. I just happened to see a listing for one and thought it looked mighty interesting (it was the Steel Multiac SA). When I was taking geetar lessons, my instructor occasionally played a Godin strat-o-copy that was very well made and sounded quite nice.

I've been trying to convince my wife that she needs to call Al and buy me a TV Yellow Korina Junior, but I suspect that hasn't happened yet. I wonder if I'd have more luck with the Godin. ;)
schroeder
Posted 2005-12-10 8:26 AM (#126758 - in reply to #126755)

I played one in a music store for maybe 3 minutes several years ago. It was like a multiac but I've no idea which one it was. Very well made and like all Godins seemed to be a lot of guitar for the money. What are the comparative street prices for a Multiac and a US Viper in your neck of the woods?
Good luck with the wife. I find appealing to my wife's sense of getting a deal is my best bet - you need a website that quotes full list price and an email from al with his "special, this week only, just for you cruster" price. This may clinch it. Maybe not.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-12-10 9:16 AM (#126759 - in reply to #126755)

From what I can recall, regarding prices, the Godins, in stores, go for about $800-$1200 depending on the model. I've never seen a new EA-63, but think the street price is about $1400?
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-12-10 10:51 AM (#126760 - in reply to #126755)

EA-63 is a comparatively rare model whose elusiveness keeps its prices high. I believe I have commented in a thread before that I think that the upper end Godin guitars are well made and good values. The A-6 and Acousticaster models are fun to play, but have a thinner neck profile than a Viper EA-68. I prefer the Ovation.

I have not played one of the nylon string Godins, however. Perhaps the person on this board to ask about them is Sergio Lara, as he endorses them (or did in the recent past).
Artist
Posted 2005-12-10 11:39 AM (#126761 - in reply to #126755)

In my opinion, the Godin Multiac Nylon is a great intrument.
Very comfortable, it balances great when played standing up with a strap or sitting down without a strap, very fast neck, excellent intonation and super comfortable.
The biggest plus are the electronics, the RMC pickups have great balance and output and you can get great tone on any sound system from a big festival to a small club. Plus it has the synth hex pickup.
I still use mine all the time and it is my instrument of choice for most gigs.
I had a Viper EA-63 a few years ago. Nice looking guitar, but because of the body size I was never comfortable with it, since I mostly play sitting down.
Also, I could not get the ideal string tension setup for me, even experimenting with different tensions, it never felt right.
So, it is not for me, and when I want a nylon Ovation sound I still prefer the 1674 Country Artist.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-12-10 11:59 AM (#126762 - in reply to #126755)

Great answer from a seasoned and experienced pro. Thanks, Sergio! Feliz Navidad!!
RobCS
Posted 2005-12-10 12:06 PM (#126763 - in reply to #126755)

I asked the same question of Serge the other day, after obtaining a used Viper EA-63 (nylon string) last week and posting questions here on the model. I've had a Godin Multiac SA on backorder for a couple weeks now, but ran into the Viper last weekend, so I picked it up, since it has a 30 day return policy. It sounds great and it's in very very good condition. But I took it to a reputable local guitar luthier/tech in the area. He said that the neck angle on this one is "borderline", meaning that, while it's acceptable now, if the guitar starts to "fold up" over time, the action won't be able to be improved without a neck reset.

He suggested calling Ovation this week and finding out what it would cost for them to reset the neck. So I'd have to factor that into the final cost for this guitar before deciding whether or not to keep it. $750-800 for a used Viper (including the neck reset) vs. $1300 for a new Multiac.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-12-10 12:34 PM (#126764 - in reply to #126755)

Neck resets on the acoustics usually run $150 - $200, shipping both ways included. Perhaps it's less on a Viper, since the bowl is not replaced. Interesting question, but I'm glad I'm not the one needing to know. :rolleyes:
RobCS
Posted 2005-12-10 1:07 PM (#126765 - in reply to #126755)

Thanks for the quesstimate. I was told that since the necks are glued/epoxied on that they "band saw" them off, "peel" off the fingerboard, change the angle of the heel and and reset it. Sounds like a lot of work for something that could have been done right in the first place.
stephent28
Posted 2005-12-10 4:47 PM (#126766 - in reply to #126755)

Don't assume that if it needs a neck reset that it wasn't done right "in the first place". I recently had to ship one back for a neck reset because somebody dropped it on it's head and caused damage.

If you don't want the EA-63, let us know. There are several here that would be happy to take it off you hands and then send it in for a neck reset when needed.
RobCS
Posted 2005-12-10 6:25 PM (#126767 - in reply to #126755)

If I take the guitar back, I will let you all know and post the phone number of the store here as well. I would just hope that the person who snatches it up does so to keep it, rather than to make a profit reselling it on ebay. If that were the case, I'd resell it there myself.
RobCS
Posted 2005-12-12 8:54 AM (#126768 - in reply to #126755)

Stephen,

If they have to do a reset and bring the headstock "back", below level, doesn't that mean the would have to not only angle the heel, but also do something to the fingerboard to help the board/neck "point" toward the top of the bridge? Does the finish on the top get messed up? Any other signs of the work that's been done?
stephent28
Posted 2005-12-12 9:34 AM (#126769 - in reply to #126755)

Don't know what they do exactly...some other expert on the OFC will be able to answer you better.

The repair however is undetectable....looks like new.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)