The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
tricky repair-good ending! (long)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

ducatiman
Posted 2005-12-11 6:42 PM (#126496)
Subject: tricky repair-good ending! (long)

hello members of OFC. my 1st post.
bought a new tangent a coupla months ago. played ok, sounds great plugged in thru crate ca125.

i decided to tweak the truss rod , a bit too much relief. 1st time i tried to seat the supplied hex wrench into nut, i knew it was stripped. the nut is WAY up inside heel of neck, accessible, of course, through rear access hole.
gets better.... used an easy out to remove nut. after removing access panel , op30 completely ( better vision inside)
and through quite a bit of effort, i got it out!

its a small, 7mm diameter , 25 mm long nut, standard 10-32 thread. . sure enough, hex area was totally stripped inside.
replacement is my only option. ok, so i email kaman, offer to pay for a new one (they're cheap, 3, 4 bucks tops). a coupla days later, i receive one *no charge* via mail from kaman, nice on their part HOWEVER, its about 10 or 11 mm diameter (won't fit in cavity )and 60mm long, but same 10-32 thread and those threads are *much* deeper. obviously for another model guitar. so its much like a martin truss rod nut, longer and beefier.

heres the good part, i routinely deal with a machine shop, had about 50mm OD of the inner (threaded side) portion machined down to 7mm.

test fit, threads on fine, the fat part sticks out of the heel, i can see it , its beefier, and most of all , i get full adjustment again. the original nut *was BOTTOMING on the rod*, thats why someone forced the adjustment and stripped
the nut, not knowing it was bottomed!!!!

a factory quality control issue, no doubt. another not so savvy owner would have a "warranty" nightmare on his hands. of course, the retailer would have denied any warranty,
claiming "customer abuse".

this is precisely why i work on my own stuff.

the truth is out there.....

ducatiman
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)