The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Calling owners: GC Balladeer Special

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-11 7:49 PM (#126469)
Subject: Calling owners: GC Balladeer Special

Every time I go to Jersey to visit family I hit GC and I fall in love with this guitar! I (and more importantly...my wife) fear I'll buy it one of these trips. Do any of you own this model? What's your feeling about it, having had much more experience with it than my little sessions every few months? Thanks. John <>{
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Erniewan
Posted 2005-12-11 9:23 PM (#126470 - in reply to #126469)
Subject: Re: Calling owners: GC Balladeer Special

John,

I tell ya, I love mine. It's my only mid depth bowl model, and I just love the cedar top, the pear inlaid rosette and the clean look of the finish and NO inlays...mine has great sustain.

I've played many of the spruce topped S771's, but the cedar GC special is a great model. It always wins in a comparison, in my opinion. I asked John at the factory if they were still in production and he confirmed that it is still running. so if you don't get one soon, don't worry, they'll be available well into next year..

They usually sell for 699 with case....they usually come down about 50 bucks, but you might get 100 off if they have 2 in stock..

good luck with your hopefully future purchase.

Ernie
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-12-11 9:33 PM (#126471 - in reply to #126469)

John, I have one, I like it, but if it were a choice between a GCS-771C and a 1771LX, the Balladeer LX would win 10 times out of 10, IMHO(I have both, so I don't have to choose).

The sound of the cedar-top S771 is like a steel-string classical to me, and not what I'm looking for all the time. It does have a nice "folky" quality to it.

Build quality is beautiful and quite understated. I wish the neck was slimmer, though, it seems like a vintage half-round, not the shallower vee of most other Os.

Roger
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-12-11 9:44 PM (#126472 - in reply to #126469)

I've played it several times and really like the sound.
unpluggedthumb
Posted 2005-12-11 10:59 PM (#126473 - in reply to #126469)

I have one. It is my first and only O (for now), and I love it. I was looking for an O for a while and when I saw it, I knew I had to have it.

It looks great. The pearl inlay, or whatever it is, around the sound hole is one of the nicer looking rosettes O makes IMO. The cedar top goes nice with the headstock, much nicer looking than the spruce topped s771. The guitar feels great in my hands and I really like the sound of the cedar top.

I love the guitar, and I recomend it. Really, it isn't all that expensive either. Go to GC towards the end of the month with 650 in hand and tell them you want it for 650, or at least the asking price even, out the door (no tax). They did that for me. Like the earlier post said you should be able to knock fifty bucks off the price. Good Luck.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-12 5:37 AM (#126474 - in reply to #126469)

The one I saw a couple of weeks ago had the Op30, but the trip before that they had one with an OpPro. The next time I run into one of those I'll probably get it.
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-12 4:24 PM (#126475 - in reply to #126469)

John, you're not going to cut a bunch of holes in this one, are you?
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-12 5:13 PM (#126476 - in reply to #126469)

You'll be relieved to know I still have only one hole in my NEB. I mulled over several options, and I'm ready to complete the project. I've decided to make several holes in a cluster on the bass shoulder of the bowl...sort of like the hole configuration on the treble side of the top. This design will be in keeping with the "look" of the factory soundholes, and they should let plenty of sound out into the ears of the player (that would be me).
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-12 5:35 PM (#126477 - in reply to #126469)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am relieved... Let me know how it turns out. Possibly the first "OFC Custom Shop" option.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)