The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reasons for more than one guitar....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

BluesSailor
Posted 2005-12-12 12:31 PM (#126341)
Subject: Reasons for more than one guitar....

Just in time for the holidays, here are several good reasons why there is a need for more than one guitar. This should help counter the “You can only play one at a time" argument. The reasons are:

1. It is too good of a deal to pass up.
2. It is a good investment. It will appreciate and I’ll always be able to get my money back out of it. (related to #1)
3. It is for your son, daughter, dog, etc. You get the picture.
4. Alternative tunings. Now you won’t have to ‘wear the strings out prematurely’ by constantly changing to E, Drop D, etc.
5. “It’s a different style guitar”. This one is really good because there are so many types of guitars available.
a. Folk
b. 12 Fret
c. 12 String
d. electric/acoustic
e. Other makes (this one is great because the possibilities are nearly endless. Just stop before Tay….Ta..)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-12-12 12:32 PM (#126342 - in reply to #126341)
Subject: Re: Reasons for more than one guitar....

6. Honey, I wrote this new song for you that would only sound good if I had a (insert latest desire here) ...
Standingovation
Posted 2005-12-12 2:46 PM (#126343 - in reply to #126341)

7. I don't smoke, drink, play golf, have affairs, or any of the other fun stuff that normal husbands do, so THIS is my vice ...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-12-12 3:13 PM (#126344 - in reply to #126341)

8. Honey, I got you YOUR granite countertops in the kitchen. This costs a whole lot less......
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-12-12 3:42 PM (#126345 - in reply to #126341)

I've used them all, except for the drinking and golfing part of Dave's. In fact a couple of us were just talking about that very issue this morning. We, however, concluded that, when talking with your wife, logic does not work. Buying a dress because it was 70% off makes sense to her. I hear it from the other side--"What do you need another dress for?"
My wife didn't buy a new dress for the office Christmas party this year, so I don't have any leverage.
Maybe I'm just too conservative with our money. I already have permission to buy an Adamas. The direct quote is, "Why do you have 7 guitars of the same make? At least you could have some variety." My translation: "Why don't you buy an Adamas?" But I really need a red Custom Legend first. Noah tried to help with that, but my wife has other ideas.
fillhixx
Posted 2005-12-12 3:53 PM (#126346 - in reply to #126341)

they wear out so quickly.......cos I play lots.....

When you're not home.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-12-12 3:54 PM (#126347 - in reply to #126341)

Ya know, sometimes we have permission to spend the money and it's just not the right time. Our kitchen remodel went over budget ('natch) and even tho' I'm authorized to buy a FD14, I don't really feel like it's the time.

Of course, I'm once again thinking of selling my Preacher 12 string which should cover the FD14 and then some......
fillhixx
Posted 2005-12-12 3:55 PM (#126348 - in reply to #126341)

I need this one to record the lead track on that song you like....
Designzilla
Posted 2005-12-12 4:39 PM (#126349 - in reply to #126341)

Moody, I know how it goes. My wife keeps asking me: are you going to get yourself a guitar for christmas? But we're in the middle of some remodeling too, and I know what the budget is.

Part of the reason I have so many guitars is my wife wanted to redecorate my office and putting guitars all over the walls was her idea. Now we're making a home theater and she mentioned it would be cool to have a few guitars on the wall in there!

So my reason is - Hey you started this!
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-12 4:47 PM (#126350 - in reply to #126341)

D'Zilla: Your profile says Orlando. Sure you don't live in Stepford?
Designzilla
Posted 2005-12-12 5:19 PM (#126351 - in reply to #126341)

:D
tdeej
Posted 2005-12-12 5:24 PM (#126352 - in reply to #126341)

My last purchase was rather expensive as it cost more for the fancy Canon digital camera for her than the guitar. Maybe she'll let me borrow it to shoot pics of the guitars.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-12-12 5:37 PM (#126353 - in reply to #126341)

Tim brought up the other problem with all those good reasons. The payback usually costs me more than the guitar.
My wife paid for most of the cabin remodel, which probably cost more than all the Ovations I can think of. There's her money and our money, but this time she spent her money on our cabin.
I don't think I could write a song worth listening to, but I've learned a few that work pretty well. Who else played an Ovation at his or her own wedding?
Stuart Rysdale [aka Driftwood]
Posted 2005-12-12 6:34 PM (#126354 - in reply to #126341)

Sang two songs at my own wedding , and got hired by the band as there new singer when i got back from honeymoon . Didn't have an O at the time but wanted one real bad. As a footnote I am hoping my ME 11 will be with me this week fingers crossed for no transit damage it's come along way !!!!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-12-12 7:16 PM (#126355 - in reply to #126341)

Maybe we have some members who have played Ovations at more than one of their own weddings. On the other hand maybe there's a correlation between playing guitar at your wedding and a long successful marriage.
I tried the drop D tuning story the other day, but my wife listened about as well as she does when I talk about football or speak German. That was probably the least effective reason of those listed above.
stephent28
Posted 2005-12-12 8:03 PM (#126356 - in reply to #126341)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
My translation: "Why don't you buy an Adamas?" But I really need a red Custom Legend first.
or how about a red Adamas 1881. Guaranteed to cure your current case of GAS for both the Adamas and the RED color. :D
cruster
Posted 2005-12-12 8:15 PM (#126357 - in reply to #126341)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Ya know, sometimes we have permission to spend the money and it's just not the right time. Our kitchen remodel went over budget ('natch) and even tho' I'm authorized to buy a FD14, I don't really feel like it's the time.

Of course, I'm once again thinking of selling my Preacher 12 string which should cover the FD14 and then some......
Wow, lots of that going around. The basement...er, lower level (riiiight)...refinish (it was previously finished...don't ask) went about 25% over budget. I've been eyeing up a particular Korina Junior, but just haven't felt right about pulling the trigger on it (not to mention the 'approval' is obviously half-hearted).

Today, however, we stopped in to visit the jewelry store I worked at two decades ago. I'm still on speaking terms with the manager, so I still get the employee discount (you have no idea how much this has saved me over the years). My wife decided it'd be nice to 'upgrade' her wedding set. The difference after trade in is, shall we say, approximately three Hamer Korina Juniors (one piece body, vintage natural finish, tortoise pickguard).

After my employee discount.

:eek:

And SWMBO sez, 'Our anniversary is in April, you could get it as a combination slash anniversary gift.'

:rolleyes:

And she is serious.

:mad:

So, do I call Al tomorrow?

:confused:
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-12-12 9:13 PM (#126358 - in reply to #126341)

Yup, call Al. Casa Bobbo is undergoing a roof transplant, so while waiting for the materials to get ordered and delivered, I spent the money on guitars. And lived to tell about it. :cool:

It is said that God protects NY Cabbies and GASoholics.
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-12-12 9:26 PM (#126359 - in reply to #126341)

Very interesting thread ... I doubt the wife will buy the alibis, but it's worth a try ...

Unfortunately for me, I am forced by the first lady to keep my guitar inventory at 4 ... well, it became 5 when my old beloved strat resurfaced, but that's another story. That means, when a new guitar is introduced in the household; I must part ways with another.

Fortunately, I have a very good excuse. :D

Last Thursday in my classroom, one of my children tripped himself over while running from one end of the classroom to the next and accidentally crashed into my applause. To make a long story short, she ended with a really bad broken neck. I think replacing the neck will cost more than the guitar itself, so in this case, I am now free to start shopping for a new guitar. This time, I'm aiming for something bigger and better than my average O and M! :)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-12-12 9:28 PM (#126360 - in reply to #126341)

Sorry, Stephen. I know my GAS is incurable, as is yours apparently. I thought the Legend would complete the set, but I've been lusting after a Folklore or Country Artist lately. Then there's the 1987 and Redwood Collectors. Dave's Thunderhead really had me going, cuz I've always liked the 335 types. Preachers, Deacons and Vipers, too. The most interesting Adamas to me is the U681T, so maybe I'll just start there.
dragonboy
Posted 2005-12-12 9:32 PM (#126361 - in reply to #126341)

My wife doesn't understand guys and our need to put fancy rims on the car/truck/lawnmower(?)

I don't really feel the need to indulge in that particular "guy thing". - BUT - I have threatened to do so once in awhile, so the guitar thing gets considered fairly normal and/or reasonable.
Dutchman
Posted 2005-12-12 10:08 PM (#126362 - in reply to #126341)

Sometimes It's easier to get forgiveness that it is to get permission. :rolleyes: Sucking up isn't so bad when you have a new guitar in the studio :D
OldLiverJones
Posted 2005-12-12 10:51 PM (#126363 - in reply to #126341)

Sometimes It's easier to get forgiveness that it is to get permission
If you do that too much, then she could end with half of all after the devorce.
stephent28
Posted 2005-12-12 11:15 PM (#126364 - in reply to #126341)

Mark, can't go wrong with the U681T.....unless you wait too long. Can't be a lot of them still floating with about 8 months on the market and only 100 total to grab.

Actually, my GAS has slowed down and I WILL be doing some serious trimming of the herd withinthe next few months.

BOOK ELITE....anybody :) ...... can you say minty fresh!
bvince
Posted 2005-12-13 8:38 AM (#126365 - in reply to #126341)

I've used the "I don't smoke,drink,hang out at bars or gamble" thing on my wife enough to where now it only makes her mad when I say it. I've also used the "don't tell her, just buy it and deal with the anger later" routine, but that only works a couple of times. Now the most effective one is ... I'm interested in a different guitar that will (...) and one of my other ones doesn't (...), but I plan on selling one of my other ones to pay for it.

For those of you who lead or play in the church worship band, I have one that she has never been able to come against. "I'm getting this for the Lord's work." You can't argue with God. However .. I said that to her once and she responded with this question ... "If this guitar is for the Lord's work, then why don't you donate it to the church and leave it there so others can use it?" (OUCH!) After waiting for a moment, I responded with ... " Well honey, that wouldn't be good stewardship, because it would likely get abused and end up worthless to everyone."
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)