The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
String Breakage/Bridge Wear

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Paul Wag
Posted 2005-12-16 2:25 PM (#125881)
Subject: String Breakage/Bridge Wear

The bridge on my Legend wore such deep grooves from the 3rd and 4th strings it caused the strings to break almost immediately after replacing the strings. Brand new strings, back to back breaking the D and G in the first two songs we played at rehearsal. Ane the strings break right at the bridge.
Well, I know the real fix is to get a new bridge piece. I took it into my local dealer and he filed down the plastic of the bridge to smooth the grooves out. Action is still OK, guess I got used to the grooved in height of the strings.
Seems to work but I proceeded to play the next day and break the same two strings over our 3 1/2 hour gig at mile 22 of the White Rock Lake (Dallas) Marathon. IT WAS REALLY COLD, fingers were pretty much numb for the first hour and a-half!

Anyway, one good thing the wearing out of the bridge piece means I play this guitar a lot :D ...

Will lighter gauge strings have more flexibility and a tendancy not to break (I've been using D'Addario Phosphour Bronze Medium guage), and/or would heavier gauage strings last longer becasue they're heavier?

Anyone else worn grooves into the bridge piece?

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2005-12-16 2:34 PM (#125882 - in reply to #125881)
Subject: Re: String Breakage/Bridge Wear

The problem would seem to be with the edges on the saddle. Smooth that out or replace it.

Except for bad edges, the only other causes I have seen for string breakage is innadequate monitor volume. You really can't get that much more volume out of an acoustic by playing harder, but yet we try!
Paul Wag
Posted 2005-12-16 2:46 PM (#125883 - in reply to #125881)

Yeah, I keep tyring to turn it up, but, there are other peoeple in the band...

I'll inspect the edges of the saddle when I get home.
cliff
Posted 2005-12-16 2:47 PM (#125884 - in reply to #125881)

Paul;
I've experienced (still do) the same thing.
I was CONSTANTLY breaking D's & G's at gigs.
Replaced the saddle w/a brand new one (from Al).
Didn't really help.

Are you a fairly "aggressive" strummer?

That's my problem.

I'll often play with very rhythmic, "slappy" style (to compensate for not having a percussionist).

I play with D'Add PhosBronze Lights.
Switched to Mediums. Didn't help. Still broke D's & G's. Went back to Lights.

My Advice(fwiw):
Turn up a little and back off on the strumming . . .
(Takes a while t'get used to, tho)
Paul Wag
Posted 2005-12-16 2:52 PM (#125885 - in reply to #125881)

I do get aggressive on the strumming, especially in a couple of songs we do...
My Ovation dealer Alan has given me a "lecture" a time or two about using a heavier gauge pick (I like the .60s for rythm playing/strumming) and using a "circular motion" on the up-and-down strokes. I thinkI'm to set in the way I've strummed for such a long time...
cliff
Posted 2005-12-16 3:03 PM (#125886 - in reply to #125881)

Try going a little heavier.

I usually keep 3 or different thickness picks on my mic stand (Tortex .5mm up to PlanetWaves 1.044mm), and have taught myself when to change for different songs . .
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-16 3:14 PM (#125887 - in reply to #125881)

I've had the same problem, and I know it's due to my strumming technique. I also tend to try to compensate for not having percussion, and have had to force myself to back off a little and use heavier picks. It has helped.

Of course, this points out one of my favorite things about Ovations and neck stability. I've never played any other brand of guitar that stays in tune after a string break. My O's let me get to a point where I can change it without being too much of a distraction. I've had people come up to me after church and ask why I was changing a string - they hadn't noticed I'd broken one.
Wait... maybe I misunderstood what they were saying...
Styll
Posted 2005-12-16 9:46 PM (#125888 - in reply to #125881)

Hmmm...

I had the same problem with my 1597. Took it to the factory,they replaced the saddle and the nut...and it hasnt done it since.

Before i had the saddle changed...i use to take an emery board and gently file the saddle...that helped for awhile...

They told me it was a common problem...some did it some didnt. They realy didnt have an explanation. They did however tell me that they are not a fan of the saddle and the nut that comes with it. So maybe they put a better quality on when they replaced it...

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)