The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Dumpster rescue

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

ksdaddy
Posted 2005-12-18 11:22 PM (#125577)
Subject: Dumpster rescue

It's been a while since I posted, since I sold my 1719 about 6 months ago. I've sold off many guitars to finance a J200. I have mixed feelings about buying a Montana one... I just don't feel right about supporting Gibson since they are obviously trying to take over the world.

Enough of that, on to a happy story.

I've been repairing stringed instruments for many years, and in addition to people approaching me, I am fortunate to have an alliance with two local music stores, one of which does a brisk business, but since their main client base is school rental stuff, any guitars that come in for repair are handed off to me.

Yesterday I got an email from the store telling me that someone had dropped off a basket case Celebrity that was immediately deemed garbage, so they just left it (or possibly traded it in for a few bucks off a new guitar).

Come get it, make a planter out of it, they said. Since I had a couple repairs to drop off, I made the trip. Well, turns out to be an older US made Applause, complete with aluminum neck. Not anything to wet my pants over, for sure, we've all had a half dozen of them or more. It has a factory RED top. The pickguard was covered in multi colored glitter, then clearcoated. There were rose decals all over the top and a large mailbox type letter "R" slapped on it. The bridge had pulled up and took some of the top with it. It was held on by a tiny bit of veneer.

Garbage, I thought.

So I drug it home, and later last night, while I was waiting for some touch up to dry on another repair, I tackled the Applause. I managed to piece the shattered top back together with no signs other than what would be seen as finish cracks, which were all over the top anyway. I had removed a nearly new set of Elixer medium gauge strings from a customer's guitar (wanted to switch to 12s) and I stuck them on there once the bridge was reattached. I also cleaned and oiled the bridge, took the tuners apart and greased them, then I peeled all the stickers off. It took a while with lacquer thinner on a rag to get the glitter off, but it's back in black.

Much to my surprise, it looks great, sounds great, and plays great!

So for a couple hours labor I turned a dumpster guitar into something that is useable. All of the US Applauses I've owned or had my hands on had horrible neck sets, but this one's action measures 5/64" on the bass side and 3/64" on the treble at the 12th fret, which is quite acceptable.

No idea of the vintage though. It's an AA14-2, s/n 024254, and the label indicates it was made in Moosup. I don't know if all of the old aluminum Applauses were made there (?).

Not exactly like finding a '53 Tele at a flea market, but when I can bring one back from the dead when anyone in their right mind would make a bird house out of it, it's a beautiful day!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2005-12-19 1:19 AM (#125578 - in reply to #125577)
Subject: Re: Dumpster rescue

Great story. Got any pics you can post?
ksdaddy
Posted 2005-12-19 6:39 AM (#125579 - in reply to #125577)

Here's before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/ksdaddy/AA14_before_sm.jpg

Here's after:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/ksdaddy/AA14_after_sm.jpg
MWoody
Posted 2005-12-19 7:54 AM (#125580 - in reply to #125577)

Good job Scott!
fillhixx
Posted 2005-12-19 6:05 PM (#125581 - in reply to #125577)

You will now have the loudest 'beach guitar' at the bonfire. Congratulations.
ksdaddy
Posted 2005-12-19 7:08 PM (#125582 - in reply to #125577)

Loud it is!

And at least it's not PART of the bonfire!
dougr
Posted 2005-12-19 7:08 PM (#125583 - in reply to #125577)

one mans trash is another man treasure. looks great!
Weaser P
Posted 2005-12-19 7:12 PM (#125584 - in reply to #125577)

Ok, you guys struck a nerve with those comments. I've been considering picking up a relatively inexpensive guitar to have for around the campfires and pool and such. Something that I'm not going to be too insane about the "late night" elements (if'n you know what I mean) but yet not one that sounds like a toy or plays like one either. Is a Celeb the way to go? Or maybe even an Applause?
stephent28
Posted 2005-12-19 8:16 PM (#125585 - in reply to #125577)

MOB :D
ignimbyte
Posted 2005-12-19 8:31 PM (#125586 - in reply to #125577)

Weaser,

A celebrity will be better than an applause. I would've grabbed a celebrity if I wasn't strapped for cash back then ...

I'll be over your neck of the woods this coming weekend, and I plan to stay there until Wed., the 28th. I heard that there's a GC over in Erie Blvd. in Dewitt, and I just might go and check it out after the "opening presents" ceremony with the family. I used to remember the music shop located at the ground floor of the Carousel Mall, but I was told that place no longer exist. It's been years since I left the Syracuse area, and a lot must've changed since then. Let me know if there are other stores that you can recommend.
Weaser P
Posted 2005-12-19 9:05 PM (#125587 - in reply to #125577)

Absolutely. The GC in Dewitt is a nice one - lots of toys to play with. The biggest selection around here, no doubt, but screams "BIG SHOP". The music shop in Carousel is actually still there but he moved to a smaller slot in the Mall. Hate to talk anyone down but if you're loking for a nice "local" shop, check out the Music Center on James St in Eastwood. Chuck Cavallaro owns it and he's been a supporter of local music going waaaay back. Played in a few local bands over the years too. Tim, his main man, is also a super guy and a hell of a picker I hear. Both know their stuff and I support them every chance I get. Nice selection too for a local shop (and more O's than anyone in town). Check it out if you get a chance and, if you need a ride, feel free to let me know! Any reason to check out the guitar shops is a good one to me!
ksdaddy
Posted 2005-12-19 9:25 PM (#125588 - in reply to #125577)

I've owned 3 or 4 US Applauses and this one is by far, head and shoulders above the rest... it's a fluke. And my "other" guitars are a '64 Southern Jumbo and an '81 Martin M-38, plus I used to have a sweeter than sugar 1719 Custom Legend, so I'm picky. I truthfully wouldn't recommend seeking out a US Applause unless you happened upon one that works for you. My original intention was to fix it and stick it on ebay for $50, but I think I'll hang onto it for a while....
Beal
Posted 2005-12-20 7:54 AM (#125589 - in reply to #125577)

All aluminum necks were made in Moosup.
fillhixx
Posted 2005-12-20 1:47 PM (#125590 - in reply to #125577)

Played an Applause once, way back when. Must say, it didn't thrill me esthetically, but sound and sturdiness were impressive.

The aluminium neck was....good as a weapon.

A beach guitar should be sturdy, easy to clean sand from, and not absorb vomit easily. IMPE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)