The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
VIP preamp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-21 6:46 PM (#125221)
Subject: VIP preamp

I saw a comment that the VIP is similar to the Fishman Aura. Some time ago I was talking with Kim about my dislike for piezo p/u's, and my preferance for K&K soundboard transducers. I commented that piezos were kind of "old school" and asked if Ovation was gonna do something before they had the worst p/u on the market. He told me that Ovation was at that time "testing" something new (which Ovation had come up with) through another p/u manufacturer. Is it possible that the Fishman Aura is Ovation's creation in a different package?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
schroeder
Posted 2005-12-22 9:27 AM (#125222 - in reply to #125221)
Subject: Re: VIP preamp

Not the way Larry Fishman talks about it in all the (endless) promo videos out there. But maybe he's just covering his tracks - can't see what Ovation would get out of letting Fishman take all the kudos.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-12-22 9:33 AM (#125223 - in reply to #125221)

Maybe the situation is the other way around. Maybe Ovations developments belly-flopped and OVATION licensed the technology FROM Fishman and calls it the VIP.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-22 2:32 PM (#125224 - in reply to #125221)

Tell me something...is this preamp technology an effective solution to the "piezo" problem? I mean, does it now become unnecessary to come up with a more natural-sounding p/u. Does the inherant sound in a p/u become irrelevant because you can now change the sound into anything you want with this kind of preamp? Sorry I'm carried away with questions. This just sounds like a pretty nice breakthrough.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-12-22 4:17 PM (#125225 - in reply to #125221)

I don't think there is such a thing as a "Piezo problem". With a good pre-amp and a little EQ tweaking you can bring out a (very) good accostic sound from just about any piezo. Ovation has always had the upper hand in this arena due to the OPP design. Fishman and others (including Takamine) know this and have been trying to best our A/E sound for years. The idea is to bring studio sound to less than ideal situations, and to make it easier for the less electronics saavy players. It's not the first time Ovation has explored their options. I was just cruising through the Ovation Electronics archive again and found the instructions for the Optimax. they had a mic/piezo combo years ago. Anyone have this in one of their guitars? The "problem" has always been to get output levels high enough for live performances often meant dealing with feedback from the mic. Since the VIP "models" a mic'd sound, but uses only the piezo, we should be able to get the sound we want, without the feedback problems of a mic (or even a top tranducer). I bet this sounds sweet no matter what you plug it into or where you play it.
alpep
Posted 2005-12-22 5:32 PM (#125226 - in reply to #125221)

meet the new boss

same as the old boss
Northcountry
Posted 2005-12-22 7:33 PM (#125227 - in reply to #125221)

Perhaps I have been under a rock. But My Ovations sound real, real good when I use the internal pickup as well as a stage mic simutaniously. I just can't think of a better acoustic sound coming from anything else no matter how good the techology?

Randy
Omaha
Posted 2005-12-22 10:36 PM (#125228 - in reply to #125221)

Originally posted by Standingovation:
Maybe Ovations developments belly-flopped and OVATION licensed the technology FROM Fishman and calls it the VIP.
An interesting possibility.

My sense is that this sort of digital sound processing is the next wave for accoustic electric guitars. But I also think it is pretty tough to do well. Ovation would be smart to license the Aura.

Funny how things come together. I've had a case of GAS lately, but I've also had my eye on a DTar Mama Bear. Now, I think I'll wait for the '06 Ovations and potentially kill two birds with one stone.

Cheers!

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)