The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Playing Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

JeffreyD
Posted 2005-12-26 9:14 AM (#124834)
Subject: Adamas Playing Question

I have spent hours now trying to get familiar with my Admas W597 a couple of quirks that I thought I would seek advice on.

First, as I mentioned in another post, I removed all of the shims to drop the action to where it was on my 1537. This has worked great except to do find I get a bit of buzz out of the "B" string if I am anyway close to the middle of the position between the frets. D chord is the worst. If I consiously push up to the back of the fret, no problems. I am guessing I will need to put a shim under it, or learn to play all over again. Any tricks to cure this one anoyance.

Second, I was mistaken in my earlier post about the necks being close. The Adamas has turned out to be much more thin than the Adamas. I thought I would prefer that, but am finding that with my small hands, it is actually a problem as I keep touching the high E string on some chords. I went back and forth between the two guitars, plus my Carving electric, and have never encoutered this issue before.

Bottom line is both problems can probably be solved with more practice, but this is the first time I have move "up" (per se) and found my technique flaws more pronounced.

The Adamas got a lot of compliments at Church last night. I did all Caroles in honor of Christmas, and it came through like a "Bell Choir" when picking chords vs. strumming them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2005-12-26 9:29 AM (#124835 - in reply to #124834)
Subject: Re: Adamas Playing Question

As far as the buzz, I would try giving the neck adjustment just a slight CCW turn. Maybe 1/4 turn and see what happens. Dave
Waskel
Posted 2005-12-26 9:35 AM (#124836 - in reply to #124834)

Originally posted by cardinalflyer:
Bottom line is both problems can probably be solved with more practice, but this is the first time I have move "up" (per se) and found my technique flaws more pronounced.
I find the same thing, Jeff. The better guitar I play, the more my technique flaws show up, and the better I have to get....

Originally posted by cardinalflyer:
The Adamas got a lot of compliments at Church last night. I did all Caroles in honor of Christmas, and it came through like a "Bell Choir" when picking chords vs. strumming them.
Me too! I played acoustically in a large room full of people visiting, and many were turning their heads to see where 'that beautiful sound' was coming from. Now, that's never happened to me before, so I can only assume it was the Adamas!
Omaha
Posted 2005-12-26 10:25 AM (#124837 - in reply to #124834)

Its an interesting thing. I have exactly one guitar, so that's what I'm used to. When I play others, they all seem 'off' to me, but that probably just means they are different.

I've got an Adamas 1597. For me, its perfect. It does take a bit of trial and error, working the shims and working the neck, to get the setup precisely where you want it to be. Its well worth it, once you get it right.

Cheers!

Jeff
an4340
Posted 2005-12-26 11:11 AM (#124838 - in reply to #124834)

When in doubt, I always have someone else play my guitar and get their opinion. Did you do that?

Did you measure the relief and the action?
You need a capo (People on the OFC like Shubbs), automotive feeler guage (english units), and a steel six inch ruler that measures down to 1/64 of an inch.

Do you have the book, I think it's called, (Guitar Repair by Dan Erlwine)? While geared towards electric, it'll show you how to set up your own guitar. If you teach yourself how to fish, that's better than someone fishing for you!

If you don't do any of the above, do what Standing O says. Remember, an acoustic will by nature have a higher action than your electrics.
Styll
Posted 2005-12-26 12:04 PM (#124839 - in reply to #124834)

It goes back to the theory of learning to use your weapon. :)

Or the saying... "Become a master of one"

Each guitar is going to have its own voice and its own quirks. As I always say no guitar is perfect. That is all in the beholder. Learn to incorporate those quirks into the guitars voice.

http://www.myspace.com/styllheartandsoul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)