The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Worship and Ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Paulcc1
Posted 2005-12-26 2:37 PM (#124802)
Subject: Worship and Ovations

As usual I'm the crazy one, to leap where no one has gone before. Stop hey whats that sound that's Paul hitting the floor OUCH. So how many of us play our Ovations in church services. I use mine all the time it's one of the reasons I got it so versatile. I can pump it up when I need it to than be as mellow and sweet like the purr of a kitten.
Pauly :cool:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JeffreyD
Posted 2005-12-26 3:00 PM (#124803 - in reply to #124802)
Subject: Re: Worship and Ovations

Quite a few actually. Even talked about doing an Ovation Pacific Northwest Worship event a couple months back.

I am the worship leader in our new, start-up congregation here in Hermiston, OR. Have been using my faithful 1537 in worship for years, and just bought an Adamas to take over the regular duties.

I like the sound, but mostly I like the comfort of playing a roundback standing up.
bvince
Posted 2005-12-26 4:19 PM (#124804 - in reply to #124802)

I've been involved in worship bands for about 14 years. I started out as a bass player and moved around to other instruments. In 1989 I was stationed in Japan and needed to do something to stay out of trouble, so I bought a guitar and started getting serious about playing (I had taght myself years earlier but never pursued it as my main instrument). After seeing Adamas guitars in Japanese music shops I fell in love with them, but couldn't afford their prices. After returning to the States (South Carolina) I bought a 1537 Elite at a pawn shop and started playing on occaision with church groups as I transferred to different communities. After retiring from the Marines I began playing on our church team playing rhythm and fingerstyle. When our music leader and associate pastor left two years ago, I was asked to lead. I didn't really feel confident to do it, but there was no one else around to do it. Since then we had to rebuild the entire team from the ground up, and now I am loving every minute of it. My vocal skills leave much to be desired, but that doesn't bother me any more. I feel humbled and honored just be a part of it.
Omaha
Posted 2005-12-26 5:02 PM (#124805 - in reply to #124802)

I play in an ensemble every Sunday. If anyone wants to stop by, come to St Vincent de Paul pparish in Omaha at 12:15 any Sunday, and we are there. Our group varies depending on schedules. We have one singer who has an absolutely wonderful voice. If you catch us on a week where she is there, prepare to be impressed. Beyond that, we are a pretty typical "church group" talent wise.

I play my Adamas and always get compliments on it. It is wonderful to be able to plug directly into the PA and not worry about standing right next to a microphone.

Cheers!

Jeff
MWoody
Posted 2005-12-26 6:38 PM (#124806 - in reply to #124802)

Thanks Paul!

I have been in the Adventure Cafe'Band for about 2 years now which has allowed me to pursue, purloin and play several Ovation acoustics and solid bodies. I mainly played rythym on acoustic 12 but a recent arrival (bambino) at my leader's house has allowed me to take the lead on my 1778LX and Papoose for a while.

Since my guitars are tools instead of toys I have been able to try a lot of flavors to get the right sound.
I have learned more in the last two years working with others than I could have being alone and "right" all the time. It has been a pleasure and a blessing!

The next step is encouraging and helping the next generation of praise players!
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-26 6:47 PM (#124807 - in reply to #124802)

I'm in transition. I've been the 2nd guitar on our worship team for a few years, playing my CL12. At 49 I've been wanting to see younger people step in and be the "energy", while folks my age imparted wisdom and support. Just before the Tour this year, I sold my CL12 to 17 year old Lisa, and I kind of passed the batton to her starting next week. Now that I've gotten what I've wanted, I sort of feel like I'm "put out to pasture". I'm sure I'll get over it. John <>{
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-12-26 6:49 PM (#124808 - in reply to #124802)

BTW... www.worshipplace.org. John <>{
willard
Posted 2005-12-26 9:39 PM (#124809 - in reply to #124802)

I play rythym guitar and sing with a small combo for worship. We have a drummer, bass, keyboard and between 1 and 4 more vocalists. I also get to work with "the next generation" by doing sound for our youth service.
Tommy M.
Posted 2005-12-26 9:57 PM (#124810 - in reply to #124802)

I play weekly with a vocalist, who leads the congregation in song. I usually bring a different guitar with me each week, Legend LX, 1868T a Taylor 514ce and a 12 string LX. I play through an acoustic amp, and play rhythm and melody. I always enjoy learning new stuff, and find I like the challenge.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-12-26 10:27 PM (#124811 - in reply to #124802)

Yes, there's quite a lot of worship players here and it really sounds like Ovation is a great choice for that application. Dave
Old Guitars & Triumph Cars
Posted 2005-12-26 10:46 PM (#124812 - in reply to #124802)

The worship leader who is also our Pastor recently moved on to a bigger church. We do have a female stepping up to lead but the arrangements and structure of the music has been given to me since I've done it so long in the Seculer world along with a Bassist from my same background and a pianist who has been playing Pentacostal for some 40 some years. I also have a student that is going to step up and her brother who has been drumming for a while, both very young BIMHO, able to compensate and take up some of the load. We are a very contemporary church but also delve into tradition.
I am playing a Schecter C1/EA which is a semi hollow body with piezo thru two amps both a Laney Linebacker and a Yorkville for acoustic operation. Allows for wide spread mobility, but I still do all my solo work on the Ovation Legend. It's a beautiful sounding guitar!
Jeff
Posted 2005-12-26 11:33 PM (#124813 - in reply to #124802)

I've used my Ovations in our Praise Band every Sunday for the last three years. We're made up of myself on guitar, a bass player, a keyboardist, two percussionists and the bass palyer's 14 year old son on drums who would absolutely knock your socks off! This kid has the chops of a seasoned studio player. About once every other month or so, we expand the group with a couple of trumpets, a trombone, tenor and alto sax and two flutes and we become a jazz ensemble for that Sunday, which is a lot of fun.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-12-27 9:57 AM (#124814 - in reply to #124802)

Many of us on this board are worship musicians.

I get to work with good musicians, do music I like for a cause I endorse, and I don't go home from the gig reeking of smoke. (May be different for those who play in churches where incense is used...) :D
leftovertion
Posted 2005-12-27 10:38 AM (#124815 - in reply to #124802)

Like Paul & Paul above, another pastor here who also helps lead worship (with an Ovation on the Sundays I'm not playing electric or "playing at" bass...).

Love it, but often feel someone else would be able to give it the proper time/devotion/attention it deserves...

:rolleyes:
Jeff
Posted 2005-12-27 11:32 AM (#124816 - in reply to #124802)

Originally posted by Paul Blanchard:
Many of us on this board are worship musicians.

I get to work with good musicians, do music I like for a cause I endorse, and I don't go home from the gig reeking of smoke.
AMEN! :)
alpep
Posted 2005-12-27 12:25 PM (#124817 - in reply to #124802)

back in the day I used my les paul.
but that was 30 plus years ago...
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2005-12-28 5:57 AM (#124818 - in reply to #124802)

I started as a serious worship musician in the late '70's (only a few years before I met Leftovertion Mike), and the technology for worship guitars was relatively undeveloped. Guitars and means to amplify them well have come a very long way since then. My switching to Ovations was based upon how good an Ovation sounded through my rig - AND I fell in love with that soft V profile.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)