The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Step up and Introduce Yourself!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Mitzdawg
Posted 2010-01-29 10:02 AM (#4310)
Subject: Step up and Introduce Yourself!

The OFC members would like to get to know you, so tell us a bit about yourself.
So you don’t feel so alone or self conscious, as one of the moderators of this board, I’ll go first!

My name’s John, a.k.a. “Mitzdawg” – what’s yours? I inherited the nickname from my daughter about 10 years ago. What’s the story behind your screen name? Who's your favorite Ovation-toting Artist? Song?

Did you know that you can also get a “Blues Name” on the OFC? Search for that thread and follow the instructions and soon you can have “Blues” name and chill out.

I live in southern New Hampshire, where it’s currently 10F with a wind chill of -5F. How about you?

I have GAS. No, no! There’s no reason to back away! You see, on the OFC, having GAS means you have “Guitar Acquisition Syndrome”, not an embarrassing intestinal problem. Unfortunately, it is contagious, so you will probably come down with it – unless you already have it – do you?

Since the first step in resolving a problem is admitting you have it, I’m buying another Ovation next month. (No, wait – that might be a temporary treatment, not a cure?) How many guitars do you have? I always seem to have one less than the ideal amount. What’s your “dream Ovation?” Mine is: my next one.

What guitar is your favorite? Post a pic for us – we LUV guitar pics! Don’t worry if yours isn’t a rare old museum piece. We would love to see your favorite guitar. (Check out the thread on the top of the “For Sale” board for instructions on how to post your pic.)
Here’s mine - a parlor size Adamas (until next month, when it will change):

If you are feeling more social and less technical, check out the Ning site – which is a little more of a social network. http://ovationfanclub.ning.com/

If you have questions, feel free to ask away. The only stupid question is the one that doesn’t get asked. We promise to do our best to get you an answer.

Here’s mine: Why are textured-top Adamii painted in such blah colors? Now you ask one!

Come on, don’t be shy - post a reply to introduce yourself and join the Club!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twistedlim
Posted 2010-01-29 1:09 PM (#4311 - in reply to #4310)
Subject: Re: Step up and Introduce Yourself!

OK, I'll play. Joined a year and a half ago. Got a bad case of GAS and ended up with 2 more "O"s. Feeling rather content so the Nexium must be working.

I have lived in Michigan my whole life and the first Ovation I played was in college in 1978. My roomate had a 12 string sunburst pacemaker that I thought was the coolest guitar ever made.

Dream Ovation??? Probably a 14 fret UTE or 1680.
I like to tinker with guitars (I tinker better than I play) The OFC has had a lot to do with me picking the guitar back up after 15 or so years of absence.

Favorite? Don't have one. I play the UTE mostly because it suits my style the best but I like the 1767 and the K1115 equally I think.

Mitzdawg that is one fine parlor. How does it sound and play?

BTW my blues name would be "Sleepy Dog McGee"--I like it.

From left to right in order of aquisition.
1767, K1115, UTE
seesquare
Posted 2010-01-29 5:09 PM (#4312 - in reply to #4310)

Hi,
Seesquare, or C^2, in other venues. One of the earlier, and likely less gifted, members here.
Just to show not ALL of our instruments are pristine, here is Ol' Faithful, ostensibly a late 60's neck Balladeer neck, with a replacement 80's deep bowl. I got it, about 8 years ago, with a broken peghead, and pasted it back together. I was fortunate, in that that was really the only repair it needed (though someone before had made the attempt, apparently). So, that kinda began my career in "shadetree luthiery", from which sprang a splinter group called the BFLG, or Bottomfeeders Luthiery Guild, or BottomFeeders League of Gentlemen, to some of our more (deservedly) "toney" number.
So, welcome! We invite your inquiries & curiosities. If one of us can't answer your question, the response is frequently, "someone else will be by, soon."
2ifbyC
Posted 2010-01-30 2:34 AM (#4313 - in reply to #4310)

Thanx John 'Dawg' for the 'Welcome Center'!

My 2ifbyC nomer is a combination of several personal tendencies/preferences.

Two if by sea - I love our nation's history and anything to do with, in and on the Gulf of Mexico.

'C' is the first letter of my last name.

'2' is not the loneliest number.

Thanx to Crimson Lake Mike for the aka 'Iffy'! If I phone and say "This is Johnny", ummm... OK, which one? If I say "This is Iffy", no doubt, CLICK!

Loving most Ovations, here are several that are in my will:

UK II(I) - 1776 Patriot - 1614 Folklore

My favorite guitar hobby is attending Ovation gatherings! Don't get any better than that...
Tpoj
Posted 2010-01-30 7:50 PM (#4314 - in reply to #4310)

Hi,

No special significance to my username. I'm a new Ovation owner and I have a problem with my GC28. I bought it last October at my local Guitar Center; absolutely love it. THe problem is that when I took it out of the case this morning to play, I noticed to my chagrin that there is a small crack in the bowl coming out of the strap knob on top.

I'm wondering if I should try to do something about this myself with super glue or something. Or, should I start what will almost certainly be a long and painful process of trying to get a warranty fix?

Is this crack likely to spread if left untreated?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-01-30 7:54 PM (#4315 - in reply to #4310)

Tpoj, welcome to the group.

On a guitar that new, I'd take it back to the Guitar Center where you got it. It should either be repaired or replaced under warranty.

Where in Texas are you? I bought my first guitar (Ovation Artist) in 1972 from Parker Music in Houston TX.
Tpoj
Posted 2010-01-30 8:03 PM (#4316 - in reply to #4310)

Okay, thanks for the welcome and the advice.
MWoody
Posted 2010-01-30 8:27 PM (#4317 - in reply to #4310)

Repairs to a cracked bowl are a lot easier than top repairs. You might take a bit and consider how it happened to prevent later problems.

If you have the habit of setting it down with the weight on the straploc, or if you wear your strap fairly tight. Stuff like that.

Yup, Warrantee first with the Dealer you got it from and that may lead to a good relationship (and many more guitars).
Omaha
Posted 2010-01-30 10:31 PM (#4318 - in reply to #4310)

I think this thread is a great idea...sort of a "reintroduce yourself" moment...and a great opportunity for new members to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

I am Jeff Miller. I started going by "Omaha" on various online forums a while back. Not sure why, other than the fact that I do actually live in Omaha...so "Omaha" made more sense than "Green Bay".

I've got one soon-to-be-ex wife, seven kids, a manufacturing business and three guitars, including one Ovation:

My band broke up a while back, and that's fine with me. I was getting tired of it. Lately, I've been working on putting some stuff up on YouTube. Here's one of my recent efforts: Jesu on the Ovation .
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2010-02-04 3:19 PM (#4319 - in reply to #4310)

Well hi there. I've been an Ovation fan since the beginning. My Dad worked there since I was a kid, I worked there as an inspector for a few years in the 70's and 80's, and now I live in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota, and own a music store. I play mostly mellow jazz, some classical, and just about every other style except heavy metal.

All of you who have just joined are in for a treat and possibly a bit of a wild ride. You will find all kinds of information and advice, some (usually) light-hearted banter, and if you aren't careful, you'll end up owning SEVERAL Ovations. You stand to make some lasting friendships too. Overall, some of the finest people in the world hang out here!
Tpoj
Posted 2010-02-07 10:48 AM (#4320 - in reply to #4310)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Tpoj, welcome to the group.

On a guitar that new, I'd take it back to the Guitar Center where you got it. It should either be repaired or replaced under warranty.

Where in Texas are you? I bought my first guitar (Ovation Artist) in 1972 from Parker Music in Houston TX.
Thanks for the reply.I'm in Central Texas - Killeen.
Tpoj
Posted 2010-02-07 10:51 AM (#4321 - in reply to #4310)

Originally posted by MWoody:
Repairs to a cracked bowl are a lot easier than top repairs. You might take a bit and consider how it happened to prevent later problems.

If you have the habit of setting it down with the weight on the straploc, or if you wear your strap fairly tight. Stuff like that.

Yup, Warrantee first with the Dealer you got it from and that may lead to a good relationship (and many more guitars).
Not sure if the guitar had a weak spot, or if I'm too rough on it. I play standing up mostly, and I move around a lot.
nikon4004
Posted 2010-02-07 6:53 PM (#4322 - in reply to #4310)

Hi:

My name is Steve AKA Nikon4004 ( My first GOOD camera. I work full time for an electronic component distributor, and my wife and I are wedding photogrphers. I started my Ovation life YEARS ago wirh a Matrix 12 string. (REAL fretboard, not the aluminum one.) A few months ago, it self distructed. Bridge just pulld completely away, and tooke quote s bit of wood with it. Not having a TON of funds to play with, I found a slightly used Celebrity DLx at the local GC. RRBY SSB. (I know....these are not the best, but I really like thits one. good sound, FAST neck. Into Jazz, folk, 60;s rock. PLayed in a band a LONG time ago, but I still get out to a few open mikes in the area....
Gallerinski
Posted 2010-02-08 7:40 AM (#4323 - in reply to #4310)

I'm Dave. Admin for www.Takamineforum.com

I play Takamine, Ovation, Martin and Collings. I especially like like ukuleles.
playdbluz
Posted 2010-02-15 9:12 AM (#4324 - in reply to #4310)

Hi Everyone.

Kevin Here from Southern Va, by way of central NJ, New hampshire, and a lot of points in between.

Blues name: Hoooooona. ...from Kahuna, meaning big boy. My friend Kemo gave me this when I was a teen. I am a big guy and borrowed his surf board (little thing) He said I looked like a gorilla riding a popsicle stick.

When I was in the Navy, I first played a Legend owned by a friend of mine. Loved it. Bought my first ovation, an 85 collectors edition, in 1991 for 300 dollars. I raised my kids on music from that guitar and in an emotional rite of passage, gave it to my son for his 18th birthday. I still go into his room to visit it.

I also own a 1751, which I love but never play (so it may hit the FOR SALE section soon, and just bought a used (new to me) Adamas 1597.

I like the new contours and will wiat until adamas makes one that I can afford of the resale market...and buy it.

My other bang around is a washburn anniversary classical.

I've enjoyed reading the forum so far and have gleaned a lot of information. THANKS ALL
Nick B.
Posted 2010-02-15 9:55 AM (#4325 - in reply to #4310)

Hi Kevin. Welcome aboard. I think it's great that you passed your Legend on to your son. I bet he'll cherish that guitar forever. A lot of folks here watch CL and the bay so if a contour back Adamas shows up on the used market, you're likely to hear about it. I have an 08C with a contour back and I love it. It's back is an "innie" and my front is an "outie" so it fits quite comfortably. :)

ps. Thanks for your service to our Country.
Beal
Posted 2010-02-15 10:06 AM (#4326 - in reply to #4310)

Hi, I'm Beal and I know the fourth chord but I'm not telling Moody.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-02-15 10:29 AM (#4327 - in reply to #4310)

Basturd......
AstroDan
Posted 2010-03-12 6:25 PM (#4328 - in reply to #4310)

Hi everyone. This is Dan from the Bay Area. California. I've been playing (mediocre) for about 30 years. I've never owned an Ovation but always wanted one. Right now I mostly play my Martin D-15 and a Yamaha that I've got tuned to Dsus4 for Rain Song. I have an Epiphone 12 string that I seldom play and a Guild that my sister bought back in the 70's that is unstrung in the case right now. Kinda long-winded, but here's why I'm here...

I want a "next level" guitar and I've ALWAYS wanted an Ovation with the multiple sound holes. I'm leaning (heavily) toward the C2078LX. I've only played a (Mexico) O in my local music store and it was OK, but I want "next level" sound, feel, looks etc...
Is this a good choice?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2010-03-12 8:19 PM (#4329 - in reply to #4310)

Welcome AstroDan...

I have no experience with a C2078, but I do have a contour bowl or two.
As to which is a good choice... I'm sure it is a fine guitar.

I am thinking that you must have played a Celebrity or an Ultra, or maybe a Matrix.
Ovation does not currently make guitars in Mexico and I have never seen one that was made there.

But you will be able to glean much information here.
So stick around.
AstroDan
Posted 2010-03-13 1:48 PM (#4330 - in reply to #4310)

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, I think it was a Celebrity. Around $500..?.. It had a center hole.
I've cruised around in here a few times before my 1st post, it seems a good group of folks which moved me to join and post up. I don't know much about Ovation, but have long liked the look of the multi-hole acoustic.

Dan
Johnnyflyboy
Posted 2010-03-21 9:10 AM (#4331 - in reply to #4310)

Hello Everyone, I'm new here, I have an Ovation Eclipse and a Tornado, I really dig vintage, offbeat, yet functional guitars, Hagstroms,Magnatones,Gretsch,Kustom,Silvertone etc.
This is me..

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyflyboystanley
Mitzdawg
Posted 2010-03-21 9:40 AM (#4332 - in reply to #4310)

Johnny and Dan:
Welcome to the OFC!

You are both all set and go post on the rest of the boards.

'Dawg
paganini
Posted 2010-03-24 3:32 AM (#4333 - in reply to #4310)

That little blue parlor is cool as hell!
plain jam
Posted 2010-03-24 12:28 PM (#4334 - in reply to #4310)

Hi everyone, I'm Julian and as new as they come. Been playing classical guitar (let's say mediocre) for about 20 years. Recently I've started jamming with friends on a borrowed dreadnought.

Tired of nylon strings, I decided to get myself one of the beautiful 'O's. I've started at the lower end of the price scale (no more funds, unfortunately), yet still am a proud owner of a CC24S-5 now. I work from home, and these days I get terribly distracted and spend way too much time picking notes from my six new strings, if you know what I mean ...

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)