The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas Tops

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Oster
Posted 2006-12-03 4:40 PM (#123769)
Subject: Adamas Tops

Are the carbon-fibre tops on Adamas guitars impervious to the effects of humidity (belly rise, dipping, etc.)?

I don't know enough about the technology firsthand to form an opinion but I'd be seriously interested into investing in one of these instruments if they weren't as sensitive as wooden guitars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-03 6:37 PM (#123770 - in reply to #123769)
Subject: Re: Adamas Tops

that is true, the carbon fibre is damn nea impervious to change in weather...jason
Erniewan
Posted 2006-12-03 7:08 PM (#123771 - in reply to #123769)

i think they are very robust, but not totally impervious. i've seen some waviness on adamas tops. not many, but it can happen, plus on the textured tops it's much more difficult to see without the gloss of a typical ovation top.

but i must say, it's a pretty rare event.

i had an old 12 string, 1688-9 that had some issues, but it was louder than any other 12 i ever owned....and i sold it, like an idiot, about 10 years ago.
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-03 8:07 PM (#123772 - in reply to #123769)

"and i sold it, like an idiot,"

I think we've all been there... :rolleyes:
Steve
Posted 2006-12-04 4:16 PM (#123773 - in reply to #123769)

..yep, another idiot here, I sold my 1758 many years ago, I'll never replace it for what it's worth now...
an4340
Posted 2006-12-04 4:37 PM (#123774 - in reply to #123769)

They have a reputation of being more resistant to moisture (both excess and lack thereof) than plain wood tops, especially on islands like Hong Kong and Singapore, and so I've read, Jamaica. And in Brooklyn where they have humid summers and dry air inside in the winter.
G-Guy
Posted 2007-01-09 4:02 AM (#123775 - in reply to #123769)

I know the thread is a month old but just noticed some dryness effects on my Adamas 1597. I too thought that they were impervious to moisture problems. They are less affected by humidity, but as I just found out, they're not impervious.

Pulled the Adamas out after a month of not playing it and was shocked at what I found. Here on the western flanks of the Rockies we've had humidity in the 25% range. Here's the affect it's had:

1. Looking at the top I can clearly see where the top braces are . I suspect since they are wood, when they dry out they shrink and distort the top.

2. A definite bulge at the 14th fret where the fret board meets the body. Maybe a little dropping of the top.

3. Slight lifting of the fret board from the body. This one is scaring me! Definite top drop.

4. Way too much relief on the neck resulting in some buzzing up high. That neck needs some moisture too I guess. Hmmm, would have expected to feel some sharp edges on the fret ends but they are smooth.

5. Slight belying behind the bridge. Pinless bridges are more susceptible than pin types.

Well, all classic symptoms of a dry guitar! Right now she's going through a rigorous humidification process before I take any corrective action. A month ago she was playing like butter. Man I feel like an idiot. I keep my all wood guits humidified. Live and learn I guess.

Moral of the story: Even an Adamas gets thirsty!
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-09 7:32 AM (#123776 - in reply to #123769)

G-guy, the fretboard isn't supposed to touch the top of the guitar because it is designed that way. This allows the soundboard (or top) to vibrate more freely--AKA "floating" fretboard.

I got my 96 Adamas II from New Jersey three years ago and I have had zero issues with the top of the guitar. The only things that have really needed attention are the neck and fretboard.
Beal
Posted 2007-01-09 7:37 AM (#123777 - in reply to #123769)

It has a centre core of birch that is about .030 thick. The whole top is only .050 so the grafite and adhesive make up the rest. They are much more resistant but not bullit proof. Then there's the wood braces and the neck....
Bottom line, they can take way more abuse than a wooden guitar but you still want to treat them nice.
lanaki
Posted 2007-01-09 12:47 PM (#123778 - in reply to #123769)

g-guy,
i have a new W597 and the first thing i noticed when i got it and took it out of its case was the evidence of the braces through the top. when holding the guitar at certain angles and viewing across the top, the indentions/"out"dentions of where the braces are is very evident. i am assuming this is normal. the guitar has been in very moist/humid conditions for a few months now.
the neck bulge on your guitar is what i would be most concerned with.
G-Guy
Posted 2007-01-09 2:33 PM (#123779 - in reply to #123769)

Thanks for the replies Todd, CWK and Lanaki.

Todd, I've had my Adamas for four years and it's been flawless. That's why I am so concerned with changes happening in the span of only one month.

I know Ovation says the fingerboard is floating but it doesn't appear to be that way. The fingerboard is clearly touching the top and rises slightly down to the tip. Take a look and let me know is this normal. Maybe I just never noticed it before.

This pic shows where the fretboard engages the top and shows down to the tip. Notice the gap at the tip and apparent filler (glue?).

This pic shows a close up of the fretboard tip. The gap is 1/32". Notice the filler/glue. It stops just short of the end of the fret board.

CWK2, I agree they are much less sensitive to humidity and temp changes. I lived in Florida for the first three years I owned this guit so I'm hoping I am just over reacting.

Lanaki, You may be right about the brace/top appearance. I just never noticed it before. I also agree that the neck bulge needs immediate attention.

I took some measurements:
12th Fret action Low E/High E: 7/64"/6/64". Max according to Ovation and 3-4 32nds more than settings a month or two ago.

Fifth fret clearance (low E held at 13th fret): .035". Ovation manual states max of .032".

Now you can see my concern that this happened in the span of one month!

I'm humidifying right now before I make adjustments. Once humidifying is done, I'll start with adjusting the neck flat and straight edge the fretboard to bridge to see if the neck angle is OK and then adjust the truss rod and saddle height if needed.

Thanks again for your replies. Any other comments are welcome. I sure love this guitar. Easy playability and those piano like tones are awesome!
Tupperware
Posted 2007-01-09 2:51 PM (#123780 - in reply to #123769)

The goop under the fretboard is normal. Some are completly free floating, some are gooped, soem are glued solid. Not sure if there is a rhyme or reason by model, year, etc. I've seen each kind. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

Brace pattern visible in the top is also quite normal. Especially on dark tops.

I suspect after stabilization that a minor tweek of the k-bar/TR will have it back to normal.

Dave
Jason_S
Posted 2007-01-09 3:01 PM (#123781 - in reply to #123769)

the extension on my 681 is glued to the top. jason
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-09 6:40 PM (#123782 - in reply to #123769)

Sorry to hear of the problems that are showing up G-guy--especially since you've had the guitar for four years.

Wow, I'm a little intrigued by the glue. But my Adamas is the first one I've really taken a close look at and it is a completely floating fretboard. So that is all I really have to base my experience on. Also, on my black top I have not seen any evidence of the bracing pattern through the top--yet.

As far as the neck and fretboard attention I spoke of earlier, I just spent $150 getting nine frets replaced, the rest crowned and polished, and the action set for light strings. Minimal neck adjustment was required.

I am the second owner, but the guitar really needed this done when I got it three years ago. I am still amazed at how well the neck and fretboard have done changing from New Jersey humidity (for seven years) to Colorado where if the heat starts running in the house I get a nosebleed.

Keep us posted.

Todd
G-Guy
Posted 2007-01-09 7:40 PM (#123783 - in reply to #123769)

Thanks for the responses Tupperware and JC 83. I won't fret about it anymore.

Todd, My first Ovation was a custom balladeer (1975) Purchased it in San Antonio, Tx. Moved to Denver a year later and after six months I had to have the neck adjusted. Looks like you're livin' right!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-01-09 9:11 PM (#123784 - in reply to #123769)

Both my Adamas 1 (6) & (12) have the free floating fret board. This frees the top to vibrate even more and make more music, I think.
If for some reason it drops to where it almost touches the top it can actually begin to buzz from the top hitting it. A small felt pad glued in place will elimitate this. Otherwise enjoy the only fre flaoting fret board I know of.

Randy
FlySig
Posted 2007-01-09 9:49 PM (#123785 - in reply to #123769)

Perhaps one of you idiots would be willing to part with a nice 2007 Collectors, or an Adamas, for about $300 (the balance left in the slush fund)?
Jason_S
Posted 2007-01-09 9:52 PM (#123786 - in reply to #123769)

{quote} "Perhaps one of you idiots"

hey!! i resemble that remark....jason
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)