The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Need repair referral in Colorado for my Adamas

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Todd G.
Posted 2006-12-15 12:34 AM (#123386)
Subject: Need repair referral in Colorado for my Adamas

I've had my Adamas for 3 years now. I don't pull it out much, but I really looked at all the frets tonight. The original owner must have had bratwurst fingers. It looks like the first 4 or 5 need outright replaced. The next 6 or 7 frets could use a dressing and while were at it let's just do a 50,000 mile tune-up on it.

I don't want to put this guitar in just anyone's hands, so I'm asking those of you in Colorado to recommend someone who has done good work on your guitars.

Thank you for any assistance I may receive.

Todd
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-15 12:55 AM (#123387 - in reply to #123386)
Subject: Re: Need repair referral in Colorado for my Adamas

number one repair shop is back at the factory in new hartford ct...best service is right there..jason
Todd G.
Posted 2006-12-15 12:58 AM (#123388 - in reply to #123386)

I've considered that, but I'm concerned about how much I'll be spending to have the factory lay its hands on it.

No doubt that no one is more qualified than those who build them.

Todd
Jason_S
Posted 2006-12-15 1:01 AM (#123389 - in reply to #123386)

fret job is $200 for a full,and i think K.K qouted me $50 for the first 3 and dress the rest. but i may be wrong on the quotes...jason
stephent28
Posted 2006-12-15 1:28 AM (#123390 - in reply to #123386)

Hey Todd.....big welcome to the OFC to another person who lives in God's country.

You will have to join us when we have our next get together to hang out and jam a bit!

ANYWAY....for my money, I take all my guitars to Scott Baxendale at Colfax Guitar Shop. He does great work and custom built my 12 fret 12 string cutaway slothead.

Even more importantly, while he may not think Ovations are the greatest guitars in the world, he does acknowledge that some of them are very good.

He told me my FD14 was one of the best sounding guitars he had heard that was less the 5 grand.

Most importantly, he charges a decent price and guarantees his work.

Tell him Stephen Terry recommended him and you want a discount! (but be prepared to pay more than normal. :D
ProfessorBB
Posted 2006-12-15 9:01 AM (#123391 - in reply to #123386)

I concur with Stephen. The Colfax Guitar Shop has done work for me on several occasions and I've been completely satisfied.
Todd G.
Posted 2006-12-15 10:50 AM (#123392 - in reply to #123386)

Thank you gentlemen for your recommendations. I will be sure to contact Scott and go from there.

Of course, if money were no object, I would not hesitate to send the guitar back to Ovation for an overhaul.

Thanks again.

Todd
stephent28
Posted 2006-12-15 11:15 AM (#123393 - in reply to #123386)

No problem. One of the things I like about Scott is he won't hesitate to tell you when you should return it to the factory.

I had an Adamas that needed a ring repair. Scott told me he could do it but that the factory would do a better job and that I should send it to them.

Fret jobs, neck alignments/resets, bracing repairs., etc....top notch and I have never been disappointed.
Todd G.
Posted 2006-12-21 10:30 AM (#123394 - in reply to #123386)

I finally spoke with John (Scott's son) on Tuesday. He agreed to look at the guitar and give me an estimate of the needed repair and the cost. I dropped it off yesterday and he told me he would replace the first six frets, then pay attention to the remaining frets, the fingerboard, adjust the neck a tad, and lower the action for $150. I think the price is more than fair and less than I thought I would have to dish out. I was prepared to pay $200 or so.

John then grabbed one of the guitars they have made there in the shop and handed it to me--it's actually the one Scott plays all the time. I was very impressed with the workmanship and attention to detail. Oh yeah, it also played great! John did mention the twelve-string they made for you Stephen.

Thanks for the referral ProfessorBB and Stephen. I had no reservations about leaving my Adamas with these guys to fix it up for me. John actually did comment, after strumming it a few times, that he thought the Adamas line had some of the best sounding guitars out there. Good to hear from someone who prides himself in building his own.

Enjoy the snow guys--took me four hours to get home to Fort Collins yesterday morning and afternoon!!

Todd
elginacres
Posted 2006-12-24 12:27 AM (#123395 - in reply to #123386)

Stephen and the professor won't steer you wrong - the guys on Colfax are good...every now and then I get paid to play my adamas...and that shop does well...nice guitars there....hey stephent238 - can you play with more than 3 fin gers now? Of course your 3 were better than my five...ok professor - when is Colorado getting together again?
\ML
Todd G.
Posted 2007-01-03 1:05 AM (#123396 - in reply to #123386)

I got my Adamas back today after a slight truss rod adjustment, making the neck and fretboard almost as good as new, setting it up for 0.012s, and replacing nine frets. Still the damage was only $150. Even though they were closed today Scott told me to swing by. He will always open up for someone paying for and picking up a guitar to make more room in the shop.

Scott wanted me to thank you Stephen. He really appreciated the referral. He also tried to charge me triple to make up for the deal he says he gave you on your twelve-string.

I got it home and promptly removed the 0.010s and put on some 0.012s. Even though the old strings were over two years old I could really tell the difference between the two string gauges. The 0.010s sound SO much better.

Now, if it were only a deep bowl...

Thanks OFC'ers for your guidance.

Todd
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)