The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OT: Blu-ray video

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

lanaki
Posted 2006-12-31 4:31 AM (#122936)
Subject: OT: Blu-ray video

Wow!
Has anyone else seen the amazing resolution of Blu-ray technology video? I saw a demo for the first time this evening at Sears. I was viewing a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV fed by Samsung's BD-P1000 Blu-ray Disk Player. My eyes were amazed. I compared a regular DVD image to the Blu-ray, well...actually there is no comparison! The Blu-ray resolution is 1920 X 1080. Blu-ray disks also hold more than 5X the capacity of a DVD. Goodbye DVD, you were nice while you lasted...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jb
Posted 2006-12-31 7:04 AM (#122937 - in reply to #122936)
Subject: Re: OT: Blu-ray video

Sweet.

Apparently, though, there's a format battle ensuing:- there's something out there called HD-DVD. The initials speak for themselves, there!

Quality and prices are said to be pretty much the same between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, although they won't be cross-compatible so it's one or the other. Will just have to see which way the cookie crumbles... apparently both sets of hardware will play existing DVDs...

Blu-ray technology is incorporated in Sony's new Playstation 3, so that's a possible pointer, but who knows?

Anyone remember Betamax? Anyone?

JB
Trader Jim
Posted 2006-12-31 7:58 AM (#122938 - in reply to #122936)

how about 8 track vs 4 track tapes.....(man, I am old)
jb
Posted 2006-12-31 9:13 AM (#122939 - in reply to #122936)

78 vs 33 maybe?

JB
moody, p.i.
Posted 2006-12-31 9:25 AM (#122940 - in reply to #122936)

Maybe it's time for me to sell the old black & white tv console with the built-in record player....
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-31 5:36 PM (#122941 - in reply to #122936)

Current audio formats LP,CD,SACD,DVD-A
Current video formats DVD,HD-DVD, Blu-ray

So many formats. What to do? I think I'll just go play guitar. Let's see 6 or 12 string? Acoustic or electric? Solid body or...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2006-12-31 6:05 PM (#122942 - in reply to #122936)

I read Lanaki's post yesterday, and I figured that I would wait to dump on it.
Blu-Ray is just another format so the corp-rats can get more money from us. Soon, our analog TV's won't work. Why? Cuz you can get a regular working TV at a thrift store for $10. They don't even sell VHS movies anymore. Why? You can get a player for $10. Soon DVD will be extinct. Why? I just got a nice one, $35 new.
I have a nice 20" TV, works fine, stereo even. I don't need/want a 40" hdtv for $800. Everyone has a TV or two, and don't need/want another.
So by changing the formats every few years, they can force us to BUY MORE STUFF!! Cuz your old stuff don't work no more.
Tried to find a pay-phone lately? They are getting rare. Why?

Conspiracy? Just cuz you're Paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't really out to get you!
wilblee
Posted 2006-12-31 6:23 PM (#122943 - in reply to #122936)

Depends on what you like. Personally I dig HDTV widescreens. Watching football is, IMO, much improved. And movies? Fuggedaboudit. Blu-ray movies look significantly better than DVD which look significantly better, and are way less prone to materials failure, than video tape. I, for one, am researching now in order to upgarde my home theater to all Blu-ray/HDMI/1080P and get those fantastic pictures and sound.

On the other hand, I can't ever see myself owning a Lexus, much less a Ferrari. I like getting in my Tundra with its multitude of beauty marks and "Texas pinstripes".

As to the availability of pay phones and VHS tapes for sale. If they sold enough, they'd still make 'em. Cell phones are cheap and way more convenient than pay phones (ever waited by a pay phone for a call?). And VHS? Too big, poor picture and especially sound (vs. DVD), too prone to failure, no scene selection, no bonus materials, etc.

Conspiracy? Nope, progress.
Old Tele man
Posted 2006-12-31 6:50 PM (#122944 - in reply to #122936)

Originally posted by jpcannon:
how about 8 track vs 4 track tapes.....(man, I am old)
...remember the LEARJET 4-tracks?
Englishplayer
Posted 2006-12-31 8:13 PM (#122945 - in reply to #122936)

Anyone remember Betamax? Anyone?

JB [/QB]

Vhs won, but many say that Betamax was the better product. I also recall that DAT (digital audio tape) was supposed to replace cds.

Both the Blu-Ray and the HD-dvd have not met sales expectations. The picture is sweet on the lcd or Plasma for newer movies. I'm not sure Casablanca, Cool Hand luke, or Rain Man are gonna look all that great to justify 25-30 for the new disc. I watch a lot of dvd movies, but the cost of the players and movies are too high for me when I don't know if either format will last. Best Buy had X-men on Blu-Ray, I believe, playing and the picture quality was astounding.
lanaki
Posted 2006-12-31 8:18 PM (#122946 - in reply to #122936)

Old Man Arthur,
i agree with your rant on corporate "conspiracy". it is a piracy played out by the cons. we have the technology to make a tire that will never wear out or be affected by puncture. we have the technology to make a carburetor that will allow a car to run over 112mpg. there is probably a way to make a guitar string sound good and last forever. but the world's economy is based on consumerism and consumption. i can't afford to go buy an HD TV or a Blu-ray player. i was amazed at the clarity though.
in my humble opinion, the best thing on TV these days is the "OFF" button. we watch very little TV here and subscribe to the most basic cable in order to get PBS for the kid's learning programs.

i am a student of conspiracy "theories", by the way, however, this forum is not the appropriate venue for that discussion.
Stuart Miller
Posted 2006-12-31 11:58 PM (#122947 - in reply to #122936)

Looked at Blu Ray as I have a Sony Vaio Home Theater PC (Yes a computer connected to my 62" HDTV (1080P) Yea I am a tech junkie. The issue with Blu Ray players is they are pretty expensive. In the end I bought into a HD DVD drive that is sold as an after fit to the X-Box 360 which we bought my son alst year. Instead of $5-600 for Blu ray we added this for $178 and got a free copy of King Kong in HD-DVD.

Picture quality is awesome. The convergence of drive technology will have both laser based devices very very soon and we will see them proliferate. It will them become a media battle not a technology battle. Who has the most studios with titles on which formats. Actually they are also remasterin a lot of old movies. The very limited selection of titles available are spread across latest releases, recent action movies and some very interesting classics! (Casablanca, Forbidden Planet...the titles you see playing on some of the HD channels on Cable and DirectTV)

Sadly I am a tech junkie and love things like this and that extends to my music too with using modelling pre-amps like the Aura and Line 6 stuff.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-01-01 5:07 AM (#122948 - in reply to #122936)

"in my humble opinion, the best thing on TV these days is the "OFF" button. we watch very little TV here and subscribe to the most basic cable in order to get PBS for the kid's learning programs."-- Lanaki

Nova, Austin City Limits, Motorweek... I miss ol' Bob Ross... Painting landscapes, and talking with that soothing voice. Post-sunday dinner Nap Show.
John B
Posted 2007-01-01 7:34 AM (#122949 - in reply to #122936)

Since my daughter was born, most of what we watch is on "Noggin". I don't think that I need "Dora The Explorer" in HD. I'm going to wait as long as I can to buy new stuff. My 10 year old Sony still has an awesome picture.
philmax
Posted 2007-01-01 11:46 AM (#122950 - in reply to #122936)

Oh yes Bob Ross, talking about the little moss that lives on a rock, That guy was way cool! I miss him, too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)